Page 48 of 139 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
    Last edited by Vordan; 03-24-2023 at 06:27 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AlligatorSky View Post
    I’ve just started Johns’ Green Lantern, and love Adams’ The Flash, so cannot wait for this!
    Johns' run is great. Beginning's a bit slow imo with Hal spending most his time on Earth, but it really picks up quick. Hope you enjoy!

Also, relating to Johns' run so I'll put it in spoilers, spoilers:
    was it ever shown when Hal and Cowgirl broke up? Was she ever referenced again? I just remember Hal being sent back to Earth after War of the Green Lanterns and he immediately started seeing Carol
    end of spoilers

Will admit I’m not really thrilled that once again we’re doing this whole “Hal and Carol can’t be together right now” dance. Two of them have spent more time apart than together and I just don’t care about Carol’s other boyfriend or whatever. Why can’t we just have Hal and Carol make a go of it right from the start? Them being together certainly doesn’t preclude drama and tension
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I find it funny how Carol always seems to have her job despite her tenure as Star Sapphire whether voluntary or not

Then again her family does own the company so its prolly easier for her to settle back in after she's gone in space for lone periods of time

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    Johns' run is great. Beginning's a bit slow imo with Hal spending most his time on Earth, but it really picks up quick. Hope you enjoy!

Also, relating to Johns' run so I'll put it in spoilers, spoilers:
    was it ever shown when Hal and Cowgirl broke up? Was she ever referenced again? I just remember Hal being sent back to Earth after War of the Green Lanterns and he immediately started seeing Carol
    end of spoilers
    I believe Johns once said it happened off panel.

spoilers:
    After all he loved writing Hal as this trainwreck interstellar Lothario so of course he'd have him break up with his girlfriend off-panel...
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-24-2023 at 07:08 PM.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Adams namedropped both Solo and Kirk alongside Maverick in the interview I posted on the previous page. He also mentioned Don Johnson's Sonny Crockett from Miami Vice. He said he really enjoyed that he managed to find "his" Hal in reference to the aforementioned examples and how his top priority was to make sure he was likeable and charming and not come off as a jerk that he felt other people choose to write him to be sometimes.
    Damn, Adams really gets it.

I believe Johns once said it happened off panel.

spoilers:
    After all he loved writing Hal as this trainwreck interstellar Lothario so of course he'd have him break up with his girlfriend off-panel...
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It's wild to me how much better Johns' Hal was when he was out in space vs. when he was on Earth. Might've just been cuz I liked the crayola corps and didn't care for the Oorah! military jingoism
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    Damn, Adams really gets it.
    I will say this though, I have mixed feelings on going down the "Pilots are obsolete" road again. Yes, Top Gun: Maverick made $1.5 billion at the box office, doesn't mean everytime Hal is back on Earth, the story has to be about how the world has moved on and there's no place for him anymore. Or any story in general where they portray him as someone who once again has to prove why he should still be around.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-24-2023 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    spoilers:
    It's wild to me how much better Johns' Hal was when he was out in space vs. when he was on Earth. Might've just been cuz I liked the crayola corps and didn't care for the Oorah! military jingoism
    end of spoilers
    It's just what Johns does, with writers like him you either take the good with the bad, or you don't take anything.

I will say this though, I have mixed feelings on going down the "Pilots are obsolete" road again. Yes, Top Gun: Maverick made $1.5 billion at the box office, doesn't mean everytime Hal is back on Earth, the story has to be about how the world has moved on and there's no place for him anymore. Or any story in general where they portray him as someone who once again has to prove why he should still be around.
    Yeah, at this point someone saying that is out of touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Will admit I’m not really thrilled that once again we’re doing this whole “Hal and Carol can’t be together right now” dance. Two of them have spent more time apart than together and I just don’t care about Carol’s other boyfriend or whatever. Why can’t we just have Hal and Carol make a go of it right from the start? Them being together certainly doesn’t preclude drama and tension
    I agree - I'd like to see what it might look like at this point for Hal and Carol to be an actual couple - and one where both enter into it knowing their lives are very complicated, but somehow make it work. Oh well - maybe we're getting there. Either way, I will say those pages give me a "fresh start" vibe where this title seems so far to be free of a lot of baggage. I am encouraged though that in that last panel, after being shut down by Carol, that he's smiling rather than looking dumb-founded as Johns and Venditti have both presented Hal as totally clueless and confused about relationships.

Side note: I'm loving the art - kudos for putting Hal in a t-shirt under his jacket. It makes up for parting his hair the opposite way.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 03-25-2023 at 10:30 AM.

To be honest I just feel bad for the new boyfriend. Dude is doomed on several levels .

There's a mystery about what happened to Hal that made him go back to Earth and Carol has a new boyfriend. Gives me horrible PTSD.

There's a mystery about what happened to Hal that made him go back to Earth and Carol has a new boyfriend. Gives me horrible PTSD.
    And also ... it was all Sinestro's fault!