Page 75 of 139 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2080

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    https://comic-watch.com/news/intervi...h-jeremy-adams

If only some other Big Two writers and editors had the same mindset about the characters.
    This should be the standard in the industry, to be honest.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Neat reference to this classic Gil Kane cover (GL v2 166).

Ahh that period of Kane cover art, but no interior... look the artist at the time were okay, I have a better opinion of most of Hal's pre-rebirth than others here, but competing with Kane inking his own stuff is just not fair to most.And looking it up that was the brief period of Joey Cavalieri writing with George Tuska doing pencils and Frank McLaughlin on inks. In a period that was clearly spinning its wheels well the higher ups figured who was going to helm the book after Barr and Poland left. (never heard why they did. Barr seemed to be setting some thing up with Tom on Earth, maybe sales weren't meeting expectations?) And well both of those artists are wonderful, they combined to make a kind of over square headed Hal that looked off. Also amusingly they had to go in and re-draw the ring on almost ALL of Kane's cover since Hal had the symbol ring as you can see at the time, but Kane always defaulted to the disk shaped ring.

BANNED

If only some other Big Two writers and editors had the same mindset about the characters.
    No kidding. Adams seems like such a sincere, humble, nice guy. He doesn't seem to have a pretentious bone in his body.

Billy's Hal poster in the new Shazam issue.

Heyyy! He has his proper suit in that poster! It took a while to identify what was off to me aboush.

Would you say Hal has more of a square face or a rectangular face shape?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Heyyy! He has his proper suit in that poster! It took a while to identify what was off to me aboush.

Would you say Hal has more of a square face or a rectangular face shape?
    That is not his proper suit, because Hal should have green boots! (and Hal has a rectangular face)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That is not his proper suit, because Hal should have green boots! (and Hal has a rectangular face)
    I thought his boots were green and his gloves and emblem backdrop were white, yeah?

Thanks for the answer on Hal's face! Rectangle it is!!

The suit detail had to do with the green body part.

Oooooh I see! The original Kane cover is colored correctly but the sendup in Billy's room features the offensive white boots.

This also caught my eye:

Also, someday I hope to plug in some of the characters like Razor and Aya. They’ve been in the comics before, but I’d really like to bring them into the current run in some fashion. We’ll see if I’m allowed to do that. I don’t know the ‘animation’ versus ‘comic’ rules, so I’m really hoping that it’s something I could do.
    Would be cool to see them but he’s gotta treat them as brand new incarnations. You can’t act like they’re the same characters from the animated series, it won’t work. Instead he would have to reintroduce them to a new audience and basically retell the story of how they came to be, and how they met Hal.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    No kidding. Adams seems like such a sincere, humble, nice guy. He doesn't seem to have a pretentious bone in his body.
    I agree, he does seem like a genuine dude who cares about the characters and wants to do them justice. He clearly doesn't take it for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This also caught my eye:

Would be cool to see them but he’s gotta treat them as brand new incarnations. You can’t act like they’re the same characters from the animated series, it won’t work. Instead he would have to reintroduce them to a new audience and basically retell the story of how they came to be, and how they met Hal.
    Don't Young Justice them .

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Ahh that period of Kane cover art, but no interior... look the artist at the time were okay, I have a better opinion of most of Hal's pre-rebirth than others here, but competing with Kane inking his own stuff is just not fair to most.And looking it up that was the brief period of Joey Cavalieri writing with George Tuska doing pencils and Frank McLaughlin on inks. In a period that was clearly spinning its wheels well the higher ups figured who was going to helm the book after Barr and Poland left. (never heard why they did. Barr seemed to be setting some thing up with Tom on Earth, maybe sales weren't meeting expectations?) And well both of those artists are wonderful, they combined to make a kind of over square headed Hal that looked off. Also amusingly they had to go in and re-draw the ring on almost ALL of Kane's cover since Hal had the symbol ring as you can see at the time, but Kane always defaulted to the disk shaped ring.
    Haha, I was not aware of that. I have always preferred the disk-shaped ring over the symbol one, I associate the disk-shaped ring with Hal more anyway.

Haha, I was not aware of that. I have always preferred the disk-shaped ring over the symbol one, I associate the disk-shaped ring with Hal more anyway.
    It was funny how they actually had a story where the climax depicted Hal getting a new disk-shaped ring (the whole Malvolio thing) but then ignored the reason he had it, as though it were totally normal.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-08-2023 at 11:07 AM.

Fantastic Member

Yeah starting in the 90s they moved to make the disk one "Hal's" ring design. Likely since it was what he had originally and what he had in the always in demand famed Hard Traveling Heroes period along with a lot of early JLA stuff. It's funny to think that Hal spent almost half of V2 with a symbol ring. And over all 2/5th of per-ET with it.

I will say I like the original Mike Grell version of the symbol ring the most. But understandably most simplified it down.

As for those covers, only found out a year or two ago myself. Someone dug up originals vs the finished versions. They were making 3d printed GLC (and the yellow ring, including with the G well Guy had it) rings and looking into the number of ways they have been drawn over the years, mostly pre-ET but with a bit of post-rebirth in there too. Also looks at the evolution of the GL symbol. And some good old nerd continuity pedantry over the fact that Hal's ring got replaced like three time by the time Crisi occures but they still end up treating that ring as if its the one given to him by Abin.

The whole thing is worth a look through if you're into this kind of pointless careing about minor details... you know like I can be. Cough.

https://www.therpf.com/forums/thread...119993/page-23

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    The whole thing is worth a look through if you're into this kind of pointless careing about minor details... you know like I can be. Cough.

https://www.therpf.com/forums/thread...119993/page-23
    Not pointless at all, I love nerding out over this stuff, haha. I knew Hal had the symbol ring during v2 but didn't realize it was for such a long time. Thanks a lot for compiling all this information, very cool stuff.