Page 99 of 139 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2080
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Sort of a recurring theme with the character, he is different things to different people. For some of his friends, he's loyal and ride or die. Some find him cool, for others, he's reckless. For Beelzebeth, he was "the most dangerous man in the universe." I actually like it because we do play different roles for different people in real life, instead of being the exact same thing for everyone.
    I was going to make this same statement. Different people and situations bring out different sides of me and I imagine that's true of most people.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The initial promotion for this series said that Hal experienced a huge set-back or loss. Nothing in the series has really touched on this yet, but there's the speculation that Kilowog's dead and Hal's just been imagining him. So based on this issue, that bad thing seems to have happened on Korugar, whether it's Kil's death remains to be seen.

And in terms of the Sinestro backup, I wonder if the intent is to walk back on Johns's more sympathetic handling of the character - to say, "Nope - Sinestro's no anti-villain or a sympathetic bad guy. He's going back to being straight-up evil."
    People probably aren't going to let the "is Kilowog a figment of Hal's imagination or not?" thing go until he actually interacts with somebody other than Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    People probably aren't going to let the "is Kilowog a figment of Hal's imagination or not?" thing go until he actually interacts with somebody other than Hal.
    Shyamalan fooled us once...

It would be kinda funny (funny bad, more than funny haha) if it turns out that it was Arisia who was killed (again).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like this and the second issue read best together because the first issue set up all of the stuff Hal should ostensibly be afraid of or hung up only to pivot in the second issue to him steamrolling through them in the most Hal Jordan way possible.

What exactly happened on Korugar? Am I missing something?

I'm not really sure what the Sinestro back-up was about. I think they tease he might have another kid (which we know is happening) but it's mostly him stewing on Earth as a pathetic shell of himself, his various persona's clawing at his heart, only to end on him doubling down on being, well, himself.
    I think what happened on Korugar is tied to the mystery of why Hal and Sinestro are stuck on Earth and Earth itself is under quarantine. Yeah the second issue had Hal standing tall and steamrolling everyone which is what you’d expect to happen. Something like KT would need a lot of work to justify Hal being tormented by fears after all he’s accomplished, but I think Adams handled the premise decently.
    The initial promotion for this series said that Hal experienced a huge set-back or loss. Nothing in the series has really touched on this yet, but there's the speculation that Kilowog's dead and Hal's just been imagining him. So based on this issue, that bad thing seems to have happened on Korugar, whether it's Kil's death remains to be seen.

And in terms of the Sinestro backup, I wonder if the intent is to walk back on Johns's more sympathetic handling of the character - to say, "Nope - Sinestro's no anti-villain or a sympathetic bad guy. He's going back to being straight-up evil."
    I don’t see that, it’s just Sinestro determined to reestablish himself as a force to be reckoned with. Don’t think he’ll go back to being an evil for evil’s sake, it’s not like Johns shied away from showing that sympathetic backstory/intentions aside, Sinestro was still an evil bastard who got off on hurting people.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Knight Terrors #2 had some great art, and very cool images on Hal. I liked the rationale of why the nightmares didn't work on Hal and his description of his worst moments, complete with the obligatory pilot metaphor, but for me Adams keeps depicting Hal as too glib for my taste. It's one thing when taking down the Demolition Team, but here it just crosses over into being too cocky, but ymmv. (and yes, I know Adams is going somewhere with it and that Hal is repressing what happened on Korugar, so... maybe that payoff will negate all this by placing it in its proper context, but it didn't change my reading experience of this issue)

And even though it's a cool sequence, I generally have an issue with Green Lanterns using the ring to create hand-held weapons. It's either the most powerful weapon in the universe or it only makes hard-light constructs of weapons and transports. I get that it's more fun, but it still detracts from how powerful they're supposed to be.
    I don't mind a "Hal being awesome" issue, they did go a little too Ash Williams/Duke Nukem with him for my taste though.

Last edited by Johnny; 08-09-2023 at 01:47 AM.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

I enjoyed this one much more than the first though I agree it was a little too over the top in places. But Insomnia is a really lame and uninspiring villain so nice to see Hal make short work of him and put him in his place.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't mind a "Hal being awesome" issue, they did go a little too Ash Williams/Duke Nukem with him for my taste though.

Kudos to him for going crazy with the constructs though, heh.

Man that art is on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Hal finally does the thing from the cover of the first issue.

Ward keeps teasing his desire to do a GL book. First time in a while I’m rooting for a Batman book . Would it be a Lovecraftian GL tale or something else?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ward keeps teasing his desire to do a GL book. First time in a while I’m rooting for a Batman book . Would it be a Lovecraftian GL tale or something else?
    I'd be down for it .

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I hope he gets it. Seeing Ward's art on GL would be beyond awesome.

He described it as, "My Green Lantern pitch - three words - Cosmic medieval fantasy"

Fantastic Member

Interestingly Enrique Alcatena proposed Heroic Fantasy/Lovecraftian Green Lantern thing for Elseworlds that was turned down, he made some great art for the pitch.

https://zehcnasednuldivad.tumblr.com...aturing-heroic

Incredible Member

Quite liked Hal chasing Insomnia around in a "why won't any one play with me!" kind of chaotic fun.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Interestingly Enrique Alcatena proposed Heroic Fantasy/Lovecraftian Green Lantern thing for Elseworlds that was turned down, he made some great art for the pitch.

https://zehcnasednuldivad.tumblr.com...aturing-heroic
    I quite like that. We need more "out there" stuff with GL.