Page 118 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 2080

Enjoyable issue, but six issues in and we still don't really know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Liking the book and all but hopefully Adams doesn’t draw this out with Carol and Hal. Either crap or get off the pot as they say. Playing the be her best friend get her to love you again card it just feels like I said big a direction
    I'm disappointed that the more they talk about Carol, the more it seems Adams is going to completely ignore her being Star Sapphire - painting her as the "stay at home, not sure if/when her man will come back" cliche. I like that they're addressing the Hal side of it, but the Carol side so far is lacking considering the previous work done with her character. (and Carol's already had another fiance and a husband - they need a new storyline for her)

Maybe it is better if her history is forgotten?

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Enjoyable issue, but six issues in and we still don't really know anything.
    Yeah, I feel similarly, this issue didn't really do much for me and I've enjoyed the quieter moments in the previous issues. It just feels like there are no stakes.

It's still a slow-burn but I think we've gotten some good character development with Hal that people have been asking for, and that'll hopefully benefit his relationship with Carol in this run.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm disappointed that the more they talk about Carol, the more it seems Adams is going to completely ignore her being Star Sapphire - painting her as the "stay at home, not sure if/when her man will come back" cliche. I like that they're addressing the Hal side of it, but the Carol side so far is lacking considering the previous work done with her character. (and Carol's already had another fiance and a husband - they need a new storyline for her)
    I mean, Carol is focused on her career right now and keeping Ferris Air going, that's consistent with her character. She's not a stay at home wife and she's not a committed Superhero.

I assume when Adams wants to have her transform into Star Sapphire he will, but for now he wants Hal to be the only active ring-slinger in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Carol is focused on her career right now and keeping Ferris Air going, that's consistent with her character. She's not a stay at home wife and she's not a committed Superhero.

I assume when Adams wants to have her transform into Star Sapphire he will, but for now he wants Hal to be the only active ring-slinger in the book.
    When I said "home" before, I meant earth in this context, rather than literally staying in the house like a housewife. And sure, I get that Adams is retreading a lot of Hal's silver age lore but I was still hoping for some of Carol's development to inform her character rather than revert her back to the factory setting. Why couldn't she be a Star Sapphire while running Ferris Air? Heroes used to have to balance double-lives all the time. Some even ran their own businesses, or hi-tech companies - why not Carol? So there's no reason Adams had to strip her of her ring to do any of this other stuff. It just would have been more interesting to me personally to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    When I said "home" before, I meant earth in this context, rather than literally staying in the house like a housewife. And sure, I get that Adams is retreading a lot of Hal's silver age lore but I was still hoping for some of Carol's development to inform her character rather than revert her back to the factory setting. Why couldn't she be a Star Sapphire while running Ferris Air? Heroes used to have to balance double-lives all the time. Some even ran their own businesses, or hi-tech companies - why not Carol? So there's no reason Adams had to strip her of her ring to do any of this other stuff. It just would have been more interesting to me personally to see that.
    I guess to me if there's any character I can believe would focus more on their career than Superheroing, it's Carol. Especially when it seems like Ferris Air is really struggling so I don't think she can really balance that with being a Superhero, something she's never seemed passionate about.

I think we are eventually going to see her put her ring back on though.

Astonishing Member

I guess to me if there's any character I can believe would focus more on their career than Superheroing, it's Carol. Especially when it seems like Ferris Air is really struggling so I don't think she can really balance that with being a Superhero, something she's never seemed passionate about.

I think we are eventually going to see her put her ring back on though.
    That would be interesting. Although my hopes are low on seeing Saphire soon.

We could probably see her as Star Sapphire again when they start doing their "bigger" stories that Adams previously mentioned.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-14-2023 at 04:00 PM.

By Flavia Andreza.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    We could probably see her as Star Sapphire again when they start doing their "bigger" stories that Adams previously mentioned.
    Maybe Adams should have started with one of those bigger stories.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Maybe Adams should have started with one of those bigger stories.
    I don't mind a more classic approach. Besides editorial wanted a back to basics Earth-based story, that was always going to be the premise regardless of whatever Adams' pitch was.

I def don't mind the "back to basics" approach, I just wish it had been more "Hal 2.0" rather than "yeah, we've seen all this before." Even if Adams plans to put his spin on it by revealing Hal's just putting on an act to cover up his trauma or whatever - that doesn't change how these issues have been. I'll still take this over "B-hole Hal" any day, but I was hoping for more.

Personally I think it was time to take a step-back to more smaller-scale, personal, and character-driven stories for Hal. It might be just repeating old plot beats for modern audiences but it's also stuff we still haven't seen in a while and it's still really early into the run (even if Knight Terrors kind of threw off the pacing a little).

Personally I think it was time to take a step-back to more smaller-scale, personal, and character-driven stories for Hal. It might be just repeating old plot beats for modern audiences but it's also stuff we still haven't seen in a while and it's still really early into the run (even if Knight Terrors kind of threw off the pacing a little).
    That kinda sums up my issue though - is this for modern audiences?? Adams is "playing the hits" for the old-timers, and thanks for the 'member berries, but for me I've seen it all already - that doesn't excite me. And for "modern audiences," Hal might come across as outdated at best, a creepy jerk at worst. If Adams wants to reintroduce him to a modern audience and get them to like Hal - as he's said in interviews - I don't think this approach works. He doesn't feel modern.