Page 119 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2080

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That kinda sums up my issue though - is this for modern audiences?? Adams is "playing the hits" for the old-timers, and thanks for the 'member berries, but for me I've seen it all already - that doesn't excite me. And for "modern audiences," Hal might come across as outdated at best, a creepy jerk at worst. If Adams wants to reintroduce him to a modern audience and get them to like Hal - as he's said in interviews - I don't think this approach works. He doesn't feel modern.
    I don't think he's been that pushy or is acting that anachronistic. He's just a confident and charismatic guy who tries to live life to the fullest even when it sometimes passes him by, and I think that's captured well here alongside some fun Superhero stuff.

It's the same thing that appealed to me when I first started reading the Johns run.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't mind a more classic approach. Besides editorial wanted a back to basics Earth-based story, that was always going to be the premise regardless of whatever Adams' pitch was.
    I don't think that back to basics or "classic" approach means that we can't have a story that has stakes or moves a bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't think that back to basics or "classic" approach means that we can't have a story that has stakes or moves a bit faster.
    It seems like that's what the next arc is about? At least in terms of stakes.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I feel like the first arc works by how its largely Hal vibing. Its a tricky thing to get but the great art means means there's a comfortable chillness to the book as Hal gets back on his feet before stuff happens.

Especially since the plot has been picking up for some issues now with Sinestro in the book, and the next issue solicits shows its going to get major for him. At most I just hope they don't drag out what happened on Korugar for too much longer and tell what happened.

Yeah I don't know about this "creepy guy" stuff, he is self-aware that he's using the wrong approach and in this issue he literally says pursuing Carol is unfair to her since she seems to be in a happy place in her life, with Barry scolding him to give her some space. I saw some fan review that Barry's advice for Hal to change his approach to Carol had "manipulative vibes" or was "encouragement of the harassment of her". I don't know how people come up with stuff like that, but if this is a character that comes off as a creep, I can't imagine what actual creeps must be like.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-16-2023 at 07:25 AM.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Well, I mean, Barry's advice here is to first continue his aggressive push at breaking up Carol and Nathan's engagement and then to be her friend in hopes of winning back a relationship instead of just moving on and being her friend for the sake of friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    Well, I mean, Barry's advice here is to first continue his aggressive push at breaking up Carol and Nathan's engagement and then to be her friend in hopes of winning back a relationship instead of just moving on and being her friend for the sake of friendship.
    I think that's kind of a harsh reading of it. Basically Barry was saying that right now Hal should be a friend instead of pushing Carol and if there's a chance for them to get back together, that's really his only option.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think that's kind of a harsh reading of it. Basically Barry was saying that right now Hal should be a friend instead of pushing Carol and if there's a chance for them to get back together, that's really his only option.
    I think you're both right. Barry first says, "All is fair in love and war"...which is not a good look. He does say though to "pull back on the throttle on chasing her" - so I don't think he's encouraging his aggressive behavior from the second issue but then immediately adds that he should try and be the friend that "she fell in love with." Which does somewhat validate StarSpangledMan's point.

But even putting this aside (let's just assume Barry's relationship advice-dispensing skills are as good as his attempts at punctuality), given how long he has known Hal and Hal and Carol's history, why is he surprised that Carol is engaged to someone that's not Hal? I mean Carol has been married before and Barry is familiar with Hal's other love interests. I'm not sure Hal and Carol are Lois and Clark or even Barry and Iris or Linda and Wally, and this seems to ignore the actual history that these characters have.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    I think you're both right. Barry first says, "All is fair in love and war"...which is not a good look. He does say though to "pull back on the throttle on chasing her" - so I don't think he's encouraging his aggressive behavior from the second issue but then immediately adds that he should try and be the friend that "she fell in love with." Which does somewhat validate StarSpangledMan's point.

But even putting this aside (let's just assume Barry's relationship advice-dispensing skills are as good as his attempts at punctuality), given how long he has known Hal and Hal and Carol's history, why is he surprised that Carol is engaged to someone that's not Hal? I mean Carol has been married before and Barry is familiar with Hal's other love interests. I'm not sure Hal and Carol are Lois and Clark or even Barry and Iris or Linda and Wally, and this seems to ignore the actual history that these characters have.
    Hal and Barry double dated with Carol and Iris, I think it's as simple as that .

I agree with your take on what Barry is saying, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad look because to me, everything Barry is saying boils down to, "Let Carol choose" between the new guy and Hal as himself rather than putting on his act. Still, I can get people think it's disrespectful - it's basically Rachel's "shouldn't he have a right to make an informed decision?" argument from "Friends" as she flew off to Ross and Rach-uh, Emily's wedding. ;p

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hal and Barry double dated with Carol and Iris, I think it's as simple as that .
    I always knew Hal and Barry were meant to be but I never considered Carol and Iris

To me this is same as Carol's history as Star Sapphire being ignored, do we know that Carol was actually married? How long ago was that? 25 reboots ago?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    To me this is same as Carol's history as Star Sapphire being ignored, do we know that Carol was actually married? How long ago was that? 25 reboots ago?
    That’s a good question. Despite the current approach of “everything is canon” is it though? When’s the last time it was mentioned?

Adams has totally botched the Hal/Carol romance, I’m genuinely baffled by what he’s trying to do. Why make Carol engaged for God’s sake? It makes Hal come across like an ass for continuing to pursue. Obviously we don’t care about Carol’s fiancé but it’s not making Hal look likeable, especially when he’s also constantly screwing up. Easy way to do it is Carol is single but initially uninterested in Hal because he always flakes on her. He wants to get back together - she challenges him to prove himself first by showing he’s changed. That does a nice mini arc for the first six issues as Hal sets out to prove himself and win a date with Carol.

Maybe Sinestro will do his BFFL a solid and kill the hypotenuse

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    That’s a good question. Despite the current approach of “everything is canon” is it though? When’s the last time it was mentioned?
    If Adams mentions it then it’s canon but so far he hasn’t.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    She was also engaged to someone else before that.