Page 16 of 139 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Naturally it all boils down to sales. PKJ is the more prominent writer so if his John book performs well I imagine it would end up being more than a miniseries. While if Adams' Hal book underperforms it won't be an ongoing for very long, whether it's supposed to be the main book or not. Fingers crossed it would do well since the GL franchise hasn't been in a great place for a while, otherwise we'd have more than one ongoing title, instead of miniseries or backups.
    If both books do well this could be a good way of getting the franchise back on track.

After all we're going straight up with individual named Green Lantern titles so if we're really lucky there's a potential non-0 chance of a "Green Lantern: Guy Gardner" and "Green Lantern: Kyle Raynor" series

Naturally it all boils down to sales. PKJ is the more prominent writer so if his John book performs well I imagine it would end up being more than a miniseries. While if Adams' Hal book underperforms it won't be an ongoing for very long, whether it's supposed to be the main book or not. Fingers crossed it would do well since the GL franchise hasn't been in a great place for a while, otherwise we'd have more than one ongoing title, instead of miniseries or backups.
    I feel like being just "Green Lantern" and Adams' success on Flash, it has a better chance than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like being just "Green Lantern" and Adams' success on Flash, it has a better chance than most.
    Hal’s been on the bench for a while so I will be interested to see how the sales for this new ongoing are.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I just hope that his run is like Flash where we get a bunch of lanterns who show up.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I wonder if we'll ever find out why the switchover happen.

Did Tamaki have to drop out for some reason? Was she not delivering what DC wanted with future scripts?

Did she and Adams both pitch for GL and DC decided against using Tamaki despite announcing her as the writer?
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I just hope that his run is like Flash where we get a bunch of lanterns who show up.
    I would think now that Adams has the "keys to the kingdom" that he has more access to certain characters than he did before (I think he said in an interview he wasn't sure if he could have Kyle show up in his GL run).

Adams did tweet that he feels very fortunate to write this book, so it sounds like this came out of nowhere for him as well. If I had to take a guess, after whatever happened with Tamaki, DC must have reached out to him since he's doing well on Flash and asked him if he had a pitch for GL, and that must have happened fast since the book was delayed only a month. Adams having worked with Xermanico on Flashpoint Beyond then likely suggested him as the main artist and here we are. I'm sure when all is said and done it's probably more complicated than that, but it seems to have happened quickly nonetheless. I'm also thinking that given the slight costume changes to some other heroes post-Dark Crisis, Hal's costume change must have been editorially mandated since as j9ac9k pointed out, you can see on that artwork that Hal seems to have had his regular outfit initially. Perhaps the change was initially bigger but they realized the costume was perfect as it was and just decided to combine the Silver Age look with the modern look instead.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-27-2023 at 03:41 PM.

Adams did tweet that he feels very fortunate to write this book, so it sounds like this came out of nowhere for him as well. If I had to take a guess, after whatever happened with Tamaki, DC must have reached out to him since he's doing well on Flash and asked him if he had a pitch for GL, and that must have happened fast since the book was delayed only a month. Adams having worked with Xermanico on Flashpoint Beyond then likely suggested him as the main artist and here we are. I'm sure when all is said and done it's probably more complicated than that, but it seems to have happened quickly nonetheless. I'm also thinking that given the slight costume changes to some other heroes post-Dark Crisis, Hal's costume change must have been editorially mandated since as j9ac9k pointed out, you can see on that artwork that Hal seems to have had his regular outfit initially. Perhaps the change was initially bigger but they realized the costume was perfect as it was and just decided to combine the Silver Age look with the modern look instead.
    If it happened very quickly (which seems to be the case) Adams is probably just recycling Tamaki's pitch, for the initial arc at least.

Or maybe they both pitched for GL, DC picked Tamaki, things didn't work out and runner up was selected.

That is very good news. Nothing against Tamaki but her Detective Comics run was a burn (sales seem to back that up) . I've only read two series by her....and I wasn't impressed with either one.

Jeremy Adams (in my humble opinion) is a definite upgrade. I am pretty excited about reading Green Lantern now. (Both Hal & John)

BANNED

Yeah, and Hal is still probably the most popular GL. I don't have any hard data, but even Thorne was saying how Hal is a popular character that makes DC money and they'll never get rid of him permanently. I would say that these days the only GL that even comes close to Hal in popularity is John.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, and Hal is still probably the most popular GL. I don't have any hard data, but even Thorne was saying how Hal is a popular character that makes DC money and they'll never get rid of him permanently. I would say that these days the only GL that even comes close to Hal in popularity is John.
    I feel like Jessica Cruz is also in the running for that, she has managed to snag herself a growing devoted fanbase

Astonishing Member

It helps she has has an interesting backstory, has mainstream media appearances (DC Super Hero Girls 2019) and introduces a bit of diversity in that she is the first female in the core human lantern lineup and also she is also Hispanic.

Hal, John, and Jess are the top three. If sales for Hal and John are good I would launch a GLC book with Jess as the lead while Guy, Kyle, Simon, and Jo are secondary protagonists. There’s still a lot of love for GL even now, DC has simply made a mess of the franchise. Wouldn’t take much to get them back on top.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Just sayin'... (yeah, Hal turned down godhood then gave his ring to Batman so he could drag his ass off the Meobius Chair)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wonder if Adams might do a GL equivalent to the One Minute War to show off all the Earth GL's together.