Page 23 of 139 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Really looking forward to Lanterns now

I’m sticking to my Center theory!
    I don't know about the Center specifically but hopefully they draw from New Frontier in terms of characterizing Hal and maybe Carol.

Although since we're getting Hal, I hope we get to see Hal team-up with a new Barry at some point.

Lol, and just recently I mentioned how Gunn hasn't referenced New Frontier. Ok, i now think that the Center is possible.

Do you think they'd bring back Keith David?

Other than Hal playing an important part in "New Frontier" I don't see how much inspiration for Hal they can use. NF Hal was very much a product of the 60's space race, which is why he was front-and-center (pardon the pun) in that story. None of that seems to apply here and it was also Hal's origin. I don't imagine the tv show will retread Hal's origin, but even if they do the modern world isn't the same, and neither would Hal unless you really force it, which makes it pointless imo. I'm definitely "wait and see" when it comes to this. I have to imagine NF to be a touchstone - perhaps just for showing how that series had a series of stories with seemingly disparate characters building to a bigger story with a Big Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Other than Hal playing an important part in "New Frontier" I don't see how much inspiration for Hal they can use. NF Hal was very much a product of the 60's space race, which is why he was front-and-center (pardon the pun) in that story. None of that seems to apply here and it was also Hal's origin. I don't imagine the tv show will retread Hal's origin, but even if they do the modern world isn't the same, and neither would Hal unless you really force it, which makes it pointless imo. I'm definitely "wait and see" when it comes to this. I have to imagine NF to be a touchstone - perhaps just for showing how that series had a series of stories with seemingly disparate characters building to a bigger story with a Big Bad.
    I am kind of curious to see how they adapt his background and civilian life.

Will he still be working at Ferris Air?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think you can still use most of his characterization. Someone who values life above all else, is traumatized by being forced to kill while in the Air Force, is "brave to the point of stupidity" out of guilt, and has a some contempt for authority. The time period isn't really important for those things. He can still be driven to be an astronaut in modern times.

Even stuff like the Centre could be easily adapted to modern times since it's not like the human race has gotten any less destructive or dangerous. Actually with the Doomsday Clock currently at 90 seconds to midnight, that aspect is more relevant than ever.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I think you can still use most of his characterization. Someone who values life above all else, is traumatized by being forced to kill while in the Air Force, is "brave to the point of stupidity" out of guilt, and has a some contempt for authority. The time period isn't really important for those things. He can still be driven to be an astronaut in modern times.

Even stuff like the Centre could be easily adapted to modern times since it's not like the human race has gotten any less destructive or dangerous. Actually with the Doomsday Clock currently at 90 seconds to midnight, that aspect is more relevant than ever.
    I'm in agreement with all of this, the Centre could provide great commentary on the state of the modern world. NF Hal's ideals, morals and flaws are timeless; and as for him being a product of the 60's space race... I say lean into it! A character embodying such an endearing and romantic part of human history, of perseverance and the adventurous human spirit, would easily make him stand out. Idk I want Hal to have a unique quality to him, something that would almost make him a kindred spirit to Clark (depending on how everyone else is characterised of course). I'd rather see The Right Stuff Hal than Maverick Hal.

Tinfoil hat speculation time:

Didn't all the pitches for the "buddy cop" Hal and John stuff have Hal as the older, experienced, vet to John's rookie? And aren't the former usually more expendable than the latter?

What if the entire season is building up John with Hal being all "I'm getting too old for this @#$%" and then Hal ends up getting killed off at the end so John can take over as the main DCU Lantern who joins the League and everything?

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

That's cool. Hal 'n Pals appears to be seen as sort of underrated run overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's cool. Hal 'n Pals appears to be seen as sort of underrated run overall.
    I think it sold better than Venditti’s New 52 run? He managed quite the turn around which impressed me. Hoping for DC to give him a book again for Dawn of DC, aside from his upcoming Superman ‘78 Season 2 book.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

It was barely outselling Green Lanterns. His new 52 run had an average sales of 67k a month while Hal & The GLC was 41k.

Considering it was the secondary GL book that started months after GLs, which was launched in the first month of Rebirth, and had a writer who wasn't well-regarded at the time and still got better reception, speaks for itself. Venditti had both Geoff Johns' shadow still looming over him and his initial GL run being seen as so weak to prove himself and to his credit he did. For a secondary book that was barely promoted to still beat the main book in sales, even by a small amount, speaks to the fact that people did change their minds about Venditti as a writer. Wish his Hawkman run got more traction as well.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-05-2023 at 05:32 AM.

Spectacular Member

It's sad that by the time Venditti had his chance to redeem himself over his questionable decisions (Kyle/Carol, Emotional Reservoir), the fans already bailed on him.