Page 29 of 139 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Adams worked on GL: TAS, I'm not surprised he included Kilowog. Perhaps eventually he could end up including two other cast members too.
    I mean Razer did just show back up in Young Justice.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

I just looked up that the last time Hal wore his original Silver Age costume was in GL #37 that came out in June 1965. No matter the story reason or the "back the basics" approach, I don't understand the rationale behind having him wear a costume that he last wore 58 years ago. Some classics age better than others, I never had an issue with Superman or Batman wearing trunks again or Shazam's original costume, but examples like Hal's onesie/leotard look or Diana's one piece bathing suit design just don't fly today. Even the Ivan Reis cover doesn't look right with Hal in that costume. Jeremy Adams was asked about it and he said he didn't call the shots when it came to costume changes.
    He's not in his original Silver Age costume, Xermanico's design has the original sleeveless torso but the green cut-off at the waist.

I just looked up that the last time Hal wore his original Silver Age costume was in GL #37 that came out in June 1965. No matter the story reason or the "back the basics" approach, I don't understand the rationale behind having him wear a costume that he last wore 58 years ago. Some classics age better than others, I never had an issue with Superman or Batman wearing trunks again or Shazam's original costume, but examples like Hal's onesie/leotard look or Diana's one piece bathing suit design just don't fly today. Even the Ivan Reis cover doesn't look right with Hal in that costume. Jeremy Adams was asked about it and he said he didn't call the shots when it came to costume changes.
    Dawn of DC is leaning hard on “classics return” and nostalgia. Titans has the NTT lineup (again), Supes has his secret identity back, Tim Drake is being pushed as Robin, Waid is doing a Neo-Silver Age over in WF, this is in line with where the DCU as a whole is going. Not a fan myself, I don’t agree with the hard on some people have for old school costumes and what not. A lot of the old costumes look terrible compared to the modernizations imo (Flash is the major exception).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I don't mind the black shoulders, but I'm really glad they're keeping the green stopping at the waist.

Aside from possibly milking nostalgia, maybe they're looking to launch a new round of merch with that outfit? Who knows - maybe someone just liked how Mora drew it (the top part anyway) in "B&B."

That's a great Hal/Jess art piece .

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    He's not in his original Silver Age costume, Xermanico's design has the original sleeveless torso but the green cut-off at the waist.
    The concept design yes but both the main cover and a few of the variants has him with the original costume.

https://static1.cbrimages.com/wordpr...t=crop&dpr=1.5

Incredible Member

The concept design yes but both the main cover and a few of the variants has him with the original costume.

I really like Hal and I'm glad that he's getting his new series ! But please don't go back to 1965 for his costume . Been there done that. There's nothing wrong with what Hal has been wearing the last 5 years or so . Well at least what he was wearing when John's brought him back from being basically dead .

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Dawn of DC is leaning hard on “classics return” and nostalgia. Titans has the NTT lineup (again), Supes has his secret identity back, Tim Drake is being pushed as Robin, Waid is doing a Neo-Silver Age over in WF, this is in line with where the DCU as a whole is going. Not a fan myself, I don’t agree with the hard on some people have for old school costumes and what not. A lot of the old costumes look terrible compared to the modernizations imo (Flash is the major exception).
    With some characters it works, with others it's off-putting. Small details like that, especially with the GL uniform, can make the character look so out of date. It's one thing if you see Dick running around in his pixie boots as Robin in a flashback story, it's another if he started wearing them again as Nightwing in the modern day. That's what putting Hal back in that outdated costume is for me, even though there are barely any differences with the modern version, but they're so noticeable.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-11-2023 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I really like Hal and I'm glad that he's getting his new series ! But please don't go back to 1965 for his costume . Been there done that. There's nothing wrong with what Hal has been wearing the last 5 years or so . Well at least what he was wearing when John's brought him back from being basically dead .
    If they are determined to make him feel like "the throwback GL" again, they're doing a marvelous job. And shouldn't be surprised if that book ends up not selling because of it. If you're not a GL fan and look at those covers without knowing the context or anything, what is it about them that would make you think this is a character that belongs in the modern era. Go ahead and give him the grey hair too and that would finish the job.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-11-2023 at 05:49 PM.

Incredible Member

If they are determined to make him feel like "the throwback GL" again, they're doing a marvelous job. And shouldn't be surprised if that book ends up not selling because of it. If you're not a GL fan and look at those covers without knowing the context or anything, what is it about them that would make you think this is a character that should exist in the modern era. Go ahead and give him the grey hair too and that would finish the job.

Yeah you make a very good point about the grey hair too .
    Well as a long time GL fan , I'll be getting the book . But we need new readers to be interested too .
    I sure hope that the DC bigwigs know what they're doing this time. Here's hoping at least .

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

The main cover is a bit ambiguous and the Hal/Carol variant does use the concept design. I guess we won't know what they landed on until interior previews come out. I agree that it would be a mistake to put Hal back in the original costume; if they're going to use the leotard then at least use the green shoulders and if the original black shoulders then use the modern waist.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean Razer did just show back up in Young Justice.
    Does Razer exist in the prime universe though. It’d be neat to see him but the reds haven’t been a big deal for ages and him just showing up seems weird

If they are determined to make him feel like "the throwback GL" again, they're doing a marvelous job. And shouldn't be surprised if that book ends up not selling because of it. If you're not a GL fan and look at those covers without knowing the context or anything, what is it about them that would make you think this is a character that should exist in the modern era. Go ahead and give him the grey hair too and that would finish the job.
    I very much doubt he'll feel like a throwback GL in the actual book at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I very much doubt he'll feel like a throwback GL in the actual book at least.
    Whatever his editors ask of him to do, I have no doubt Adams will try to write the character well.

Whatever his editors ask of him to do, I have no doubt Adams will try to write the character well.
    Well, unless he says they told him to write the title as a throwback, I'm not expecting it .