Page 64 of 139 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast

I didn’t see Hal as annoying, I found Hal as trying to squeeze himself back into a life he hasn’t been a part of for years. His whole life as of late had all been about being a space adventurer, so much so that his last series depicted him hating being stuck on earth when he could explore the stars.

Now? He’s stuck on earth because he bad mouthed the united planets and is trying to find some sense of normality by going with what he knows. Unfortunately what he knows has moved on without him. His inability to understand drones are replacing his field of work, that he doesn’t have any money, and that he’s neglected Carol are playing against his hopes and expectations.

At least that’s how I viewed it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I didn’t see Hal as annoying, I found Hal as trying to squeeze himself back into a life he hasn’t been a part of for years. His whole life as of late had all been about being a space adventurer, so much so that his last series depicted him hating being stuck on earth when he could explore the stars.

Now? He’s stuck on earth because he bad mouthed the united planets and is trying to find some sense of normality by going with what he knows. Unfortunately what he knows has moved on without him. His inability to understand drones are replacing his field of work, that he doesn’t have any money, and that he’s neglected Carol are playing against his hopes and expectations.

At least that’s how I viewed it.
    Very well said.

Morrison's Hal always came off as kind of detached or above everything in a procedural, Sci-Fi, space cop kind of way but it feels like Adams is putting the focus back on the human element of Green Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Without spoiling anything I certainly have some questions about Hal’s new ring works.
    This ring was certainly easier to come by than the one he forged when he had Krona's gauntlet. It seemed too easy, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This ring was certainly easier to come by than the one he forged when he had Krona's gauntlet. It seemed too easy, tbh.
    I'm wondering if they'll go into it more next issue.

Good first issue. The Top Gun influence is blatant to see and I don’t mind. Even some of the stuff I was worried about like Hal and Carol not being together was fun to read. Adams definitely has learned from Flash in regards to introducing some stakes sooner to keep people reading. Good mix of action and character moments, we get the expected Hal is a daredevil/hothead stuff with the drone and him crashing a car into the villain, but we also get some quieter stuff like Hal reflecting on his choice to flip the bird to the UP. Speaking of which we really need someone to lay out how exactly the UP works, because everything regarding them is so vague and confusing.

Despite being reminiscent of Johns and Morrison, I think Adams can leave his own mark on Hal if he keeps the focus on Hal building a life in Coast City. Johns ditched that fairly quickly and Morrison made it a plot point that Hal can’t seem to lay down roots. If Adams actually sticks with Hal struggling to build a life and adjust to Earth, then we have a chance for Hal to actually develop as a character in a way he hasn’t for a while.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Morrison's Hal always came off as kind of detached or above everything in a procedural, Sci-Fi, space cop kind of way but it feels like Adams is putting the focus back on the human element of Green Lantern.
    That's the one with the Liam Sharpe artwork, yeah? That Hal was very strange. Kind of like what if the green startrek robot guy put on a GL ring weird.

AND everyone talked funny in those. I think the art saved it. It was Final Crisis level impenetrable but it was definitely a slog

Here’s two new interviews with PKJ and Adams that I found really enjoyable:

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/05/09/gr...023-interview/

https://www.looper.com/1280751/phill...n-1-exclusive/

This bit from Adams stuck out to me:
    Where does this book find Hal Jordan? Is he always destined to be a Green Lantern?

Jeremy Adams: That's the throughline of the first issue ... Is he a hero because this ring picked him, or is he a hero because that's who he is? This is him finding himself again, like, "How do I be Hal on Earth, but how do I ... What am I without this thing in the sky? What am I without Oa and the Green Lantern Corps?" By the end of the issue, it's like, "I know who I am. This is who I am."

But there's still a lot of self-discovery in terms of as a human being, "Who am I?" We live in a DC universe in which the legacy characters are growing up. What does that mean for the characters that have watched them grow up? How do you enter that next phase of your life when all the kids are now ... They've got families and you're still like, "Oh, man. My ex-girlfriend's got a boyfriend." He's faced with the reality on the ground, like, "How do I mature? Do I live here without running away?" Running away is probably easy, except now, he can't.
    Adams also says that Carol is basically Hal’s home, and I hope that means we won’t have to wait long for the two to get together.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

This first issue slapped! I had to trade some big books to get the chance to review this, and I’m so glad that I did.

https://comic-watch.com/comic-book-r...ls-real-pretty
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

What I loved the most in Morrison and Sharp run was how Hal was competent as a Green Lantern, apparently Adams will be keeping that going on, but show a less efficient Hal on his civilian life, and as long as it don't go to Spider-Man or Daredevil levels of disastrous I'm fine.

As Frontier said, Hal in *The Green Lantern* was very main character in procedural cop show, I liked to imagine his voice like Raylan from Justified, here I think Adams is aiming more into Kirk and Maverick.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    What I loved the most in Morrison and Sharp run was how Hal was competent as a Green Lantern, apparently Adams will be keeping that going on, but show a less efficient Hal on his civilian life, and as long as it don't go to Spider-Man or Daredevil levels of disastrous I'm fine.

As Frontier said, Hal in *The Green Lantern* was very main character in procedural cop show, I liked to imagine his voice like Raylan from Justified, here I think Adams is aiming more into Kirk and Maverick.
    I always viewed Hal as one of those extraordinary people that excels at one thing most people could never do, but struggles with everyday life, almost like you see with people that are geniuses or rock stars or something like that. He has such a restless, stubborn, unique spirit that it makes him amazing as a superhero, but he just cannot get it together in the real world. Those kinds of extreme personalities are always interesting to me and I always found Hal to be like that. If he didn't become GL, he'd probably dead or at the bottom of a bottle somewhere by now.

But a very fun, very entertaining issue. I'm hoping Adams has a long run here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Here’s two new interviews with PKJ and Adams that I found really enjoyable:

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/05/09/gr...023-interview/

https://www.looper.com/1280751/phill...n-1-exclusive/

This bit from Adams stuck out to me:

Adams also says that Carol is basically Hal’s home, and I hope that means we won’t have to wait long for the two to get together.
    Thanks for posting these. Out of curiosity, since I've never seen Dawson's Creek, Adams says the show built up one big relationship but also had another with a ton of chemistry and he wants to do something similar here down the line, but for now Hal is focused entirely on Carol. So that means he might get another potential love interest later on?
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-10-2023 at 07:17 AM.

Cowgirl looks like an obvious choice for me here.