Page 123 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2251

Remember Baby Havok and Bill the Lobster on the HoXPoX teaser? Don't take this as a promise.

Spectacular Member mattsarchamp's Avatar

Actually, I know. It's just my way of having fun and hopeful on Betsy's future. Because I like what Foxe is doing on Dark X-Men, gritty, badass and dark, just what I saw from Remender's run. It's just my what if of Betsy if stuck as the Lady Mandarin, a very deadly looking femme fatale.
    Peerless and Fearless

Quote Originally Posted by mattsarchamp View Post
    Actually, I know. It's just my way of having fun and hopeful on Betsy's future. Because I like what Foxe is doing on Dark X-Men, gritty, badass and dark, just what I saw from Remender's run. It's just my what if of Betsy if stuck as the Lady Mandarin, a very deadly looking femme fatale.
    I'd say we wait for Dark X-Men to end to make judgments (I still don't know how they'll fix Warren in 2 issues, so I'm growing restless here).
    I understand what you mean, and I too would want Betsy to become a bit more "old-style"/ less "hero-princess/good". But there's no way they would put her back in her Lady Mandarin "attitude". Like, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    I'd say we wait for Dark X-Men to end to make judgments (I still don't know how they'll fix Warren in 2 issues, so I'm growing restless here).
    I understand what you mean, and I too would want Betsy to become a bit more "old-style"/ less "hero-princess/good". But there's no way they would put her back in her Lady Mandarin "attitude". Like, ever.
    Well, thanks for reminding me, though, I like how it's going so far. I'm just excited while I also understand that some of you here are still being cautious as Foxe's story is still not finished yet. It may end in a satisfying or disappointing way especially for Warren as I also deeply care for him. Just optimistic that Betsy will have a different take and direction. Thanks again.
    Peerless and Fearless

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    They're not gonna call a white woman "Lady Mandarin" in 2024. That's about as likely as her becoming Asian again.
    Yeah, she's just being shown in an old costume like quite a few others on that art. She's probably still Captain Britain. What would they call Betsy if she drops that mantle? Psylocke is now taken by Kwannon, and as you say Lady Mandarin doesn't make sense now she's back in her British body and not Kwannon's Japanese one.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, she's just being shown in an old costume like quite a few others on that art. She's probably still Captain Britain. What would they call Betsy if she drops that mantle? Psylocke is now taken by Kwannon, and as you say Lady Mandarin doesn't make sense now she's back in her British body and not Kwannon's Japanese one.
    It wouldn't make sense even if she was still in Kwannon's body. I'm sure Betsy is educated enough to know that China and Japan are not interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    As a more casual Betsy fan, I'm learning more and more about the complexities and complications around fan reception, as I traverse different platforms. The concept of identity and the powerful influence aesthetics can have, swaying opinion and perception is really remarkable. And BETSY is the poster child for identity trauma. Permit me to share my musings?

The Outback Era Betsy was, to me, a very feminine beauty with cut-throat-principles longing to prove herself a battle maiden.
    The 90's Ninja Betsy was, to me, capitalizing on the oh so popular femme fatale trope, and a realization of Betsy's power fantasy, with the unfortunate consequence of achieving said fantasy by fraudulent means (unintentionally)

I think a lot of fans shared and reveled in the realization of Betsy's power fantasy (afforded by Kwannon's body) and despite many, MANY, fans insistent hope for Betsy to be restored to her original body (for a variety of reasons) -- when it actually happened, there was perhaps an unanticipated absence left in the wake of that restoration. There was a pocket of negative space that was once filled by acrobatic feats and an undeniable physicality -- an adrenaline-- that both fans and Betsy herself fed off.

Which brings me back to aesthetics and perception.

I believe this short lived look for Betsy was, perhaps, a comfortable blending of those worlds. The cut of the body suit, paired with the long loose carefree hair, and the contrasting soft/dark palette (violet/pink & BLACK) was a provocative fusion of the Outback feminine beauty and the 90's femme fatale vibe. I recall an abundance of praise for this aesthetic, here on the boards and the few social media platforms I frequent, and I think because it represented the both important eras of Betsy that many fans are so fond of.

Then the Captain Britaining happened. And with that spotlight, many Betsy lead stories.

I think, consciously or not, some fans found the rebranding premature and viewed this shift as yet another identity crisis. "Betsy is no longer Betsy. She's Captain Britain". She is no longer the blend of feminine & dangerous. She's in a uniform. Said uniform belongs to someone else. She's wearing someone ELSE'S suit. Someone else's "skin"-- Despite the character motivations or circumstances, I think some fans reflexively wince at the parallels associated with Betsy adopting another persona. Another "skin". The helmet adds a whole other layer to the masking of Betsy -- hiding her face and thereby hiding her true self. There are just psychological associations made with masks and helmets and identity.

I'm rambling. Sorry friends. Just been thinking about this a curious amount the last day or so.
    Some fans adore the Captain Britain-ing, as some fans adored the Ninja era. I'm not saying the reception of the Captain Britain or Ninja identities are interchangable -- its just a matter of what you gravitate toward -- what brings you joy.

All that said, I hope whatever comes next for Bets brings more joy to everyone.
    Good analysis. I concur with a lot of this. They should give a suit along these veins again. We got such a short amount of time with it, and it suited her. The writing of TH honestly does not fit Betsy, and I think Jordan thinks we failed TH instead of the other way around.
    Sure, some fans loved TH's writing, but to me, it was VERY basic and very CW tropey. Betsy was a grown woman years older than Rachel, and did not suffer from Body Dysmorphia or other nonsense. She may have liked what the Cosmetic>Merge>Swap gave her, but she needed to be herself again.

But her writer failed her and us. She needs a writer willing to give her a smashing direction, and an artist to make her as beautiful as possible. Because sadly, when people look at Kwannon, it's the suit, not the woman. It doesn't matter if she makes the high kick connect. She just has look good in the thongkini, and SEEM like a badass.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It didn't make sense for a Japanese woman to be called Lady Mandarin to begin with LOL. To be fair, before the body swap retcon, Betsy's features where changed via magic and surgery and Claremont didn't quite specify on page that Betsy was supposed to look Japanese if I recall correctly. The first writer to do that was Scott Lobdell, scripting one of Jim Lee's last issues, who referred to Psylocke as "half-British, half-Japanese".

I take Mark Brook's art just as him enjoying the piece. He has drawn a banging Outback Psylocke before.

I personally really cannot be fan of a character that is called Captain Britain. It is so absurd. Psylocke should have stayed with Betsy.

But let's come up with a new name for her then.

Telekinetika

Psi Warrioress

Psy Queen B.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsarchamp View Post
    Well, thanks for reminding me, though, I like how it's going so far. I'm just excited while I also understand that some of you here are still being cautious as Foxe's story is still not finished yet. It may end in a satisfying or disappointing way especially for Warren as I also deeply care for him. Just optimistic that Betsy will have a different take and direction. Thanks again.
    I'm with you regarding Foxe. Dark X-Men is my favorite current book (tied with CotV) and he's delivered with each of his works imo. I've been excited since it was revealed he was writing her and now even more so since confirming he's increased her role in the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Iatet View Post
    I take Mark Brook's art just as him enjoying the piece. He has drawn a banging Outback Psylocke before.
    Gorgeous.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I personally really cannot be fan of a character that is called Captain Britain. It is so absurd. Psylocke should have stayed with Betsy.

But let's come up with a new name for her then.

Telekinetika

Psi Warrioress

Psy Queen B.
    I saw a fan-art a few pages back of Betsy going by Psykeye, which I wouldn't be against if she were to revert to spy/outback version of herself. If they want to keep her on as Otherworld leader then Monarch would be my top choice once Jamie gets booted out of his role (thought for a while that there should be a Betsy related character going by Red Admiral, why not Jamie). Purple Emperor is too long and think only works if she grows in power to more than just Otherworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Iatet View Post
    Wish he included this costume rather than the Lady Mandarin one. It's weird we get two Psylockes and none of them is Betsy in her original body. Bittersweet.

anyway, gorgeous art.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Pyskeye artwork:

Niniri's Psykeye by Arzeno
    https://www.deviantart.com/arzeno/ar...sykeye-7653510

Im having posting problems so here is link to another Psykeye image https://www.instagram.com/p/CiKlvHTuCFI/
    Last edited by Demon Bowler; 10-16-2023 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm with you regarding Foxe. Dark X-Men is my favorite current book (tied with CotV) and he's delivered with each of his works imo. I've been excited since it was revealed he was writing her and now even more so since confirming he's increased her role in the project.
    Just happy that we are on the same page here. I just want to be positive on what's to come for Betsy. I guess, it's what many of us here are waiting for. So I'm hoping and praying that something good happens to her again.
    Peerless and Fearless