Page 13 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I noticed her irises too have been colored with shades of violet
    I love when they give her violet irises and when the penciller leaves room for the brows to be purple, rather than a black line.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Ah I forgot about that. The mystery of the changed costume. Erica D'Urso posted the original cover on social media:

But at the last minute she had to change the costume to the current one and redo the cover for some reason. I personally liked her lion design because it would have been more of a solid color on the torso. I'm assuming Tini asked her to make a new costume but I guess editorial turned it down.

She'd be Captain Flanders with a lion on her chest, not Captain Britain. It's good they kept the X.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    She'd be Captain Flanders with a lion on her chest, not Captain Britain. It's good they kept the X.
    Is that a cultural reference? I don’t get it
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Is that a cultural reference? I don’t get it
    Ha ha, no, the shape of the lion is very similar to the one on the flag of the Flemish region, and red is a colour closely associated with Belgium (their national football team is nicknamed as "Diables Rouges"). You only see heraldic lions in Central Europe if I'm not mistaken. Maybe a dragon would be a more appropriate choice for somebody representing England?

I think what I liked about it was that it paid homage to her father's Otherworld costumes, here and here. And it would have raised the question of where did it come from because her current costume was created when she took the amulet. Like was the plan for the new lion one to magically appear or was she saying screw it, I rather honor my family?

Brian's first costume had a lion too so I'm not sure where that symbol really came from. All the costumes, including Brian's famous red/white/blue, were magically created.

^Good point, I forgot that one.

^Good point, I forgot that one.
    Generally speaking I remain fascinated by the behind the scenes decisions and how things get approved or denied. I'd love to be a butterfly on the wall listening in on this kind of stuff.

Ha ha, no, the shape of the lion is very similar to the one on the flag of the Flemish region, and red is a colour closely associated with Belgium (their national football team is nicknamed as "Diables Rouges"). You only see heraldic lions in Central Europe if I'm not mistaken. Maybe a dragon would be a more appropriate choice for somebody representing England?
    Ok, haha the more you know…. Thank you for the info Selene!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I think what I liked about it was that it paid homage to her father's Otherworld costumes, here and here. And it would have raised the question of where did it come from because her current costume was created when she took the amulet. Like was the plan for the new lion one to magically appear or was she saying screw it, I rather honor my family?

Dammit, that costume got me excited I must confess….

Brian's first costume had a lion too so I'm not sure where that symbol really came from. All the costumes, including Brian's famous red/white/blue, were magically created.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ols_of_England

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Generally speaking I remain fascinated by the behind the scenes decisions and how things get approved or denied. I'd love to be a butterfly on the wall listening in on this kind of stuff.
    Hihi me too, Friend and the choice of the butterfly was just a stroke of genius!
    Last edited by Daedra; 02-14-2023 at 01:26 PM.

Ok, haha the more you know…. Thank you for info Selene!

Thank you for this information, it makes a lot of sense. There's the link between the lion, England and Otherworld.
    "English medieval warrior rulers with a reputation for bravery attracted the nickname "the Lion."

Warrior twins. Their father, a member of the Captain Britain Corps. So top tier that Merlyn sent him to earth 616 to create a hero destined to save the omniverse. A twin with mutant psychic abilities. There's soooo much there that can be explored because I believe Betsy has a similar destiny involving the fate of mutantkind.

Hihi me too, Friend and the choice of the butterfly was just a stroke of genius!
    Haha thanks! Butterflies are definitely on the brain at the moment.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Ok, haha the more you know…. Thank you for the info Selene!

I know it's slightly off topic, but why is the Barbary Lion the national animal of England when they were never native fauna?? I mean I GUESS because they had some as presents from the Crusades but it just clicked to me it doesn't sound right lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I know it's slightly off topic, but why is the Barbary Lion the national animal of England when they were never native fauna?? I mean I GUESS because they had some as presents from the Crusades but it just clicked to me it doesn't sound right lol.
    It’s a matter of iconography, a lion at the time was just considered a majestic and fierce creature of the wild, no one cared about biomes or ecosystems, european heraldry is littered with exotic and fantastical creatures, my old professors always used to say that history does not have to be “right”, it just is!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\