Page 89 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3979858687888990919293 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1437
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Like I said on the issue thread, it was interesting.

Though pretty wordy and a bit too depressing, not looking forward to Wally and Linda having marriage problems. Though someone pointed out Linda could be having postpartum depression which is potentially interesting. And Wally not telling Mister Terrific whats happening is a dumb move.

Also the art is generally good but it does look weird in some levels, especially the final page where it has an odd "CG-ish" look to it. Like I'm sure the creature is intended to look weird but it felt really off to look at.
    I concur. It feels like Spurrier is really into these kinds of self-sabatogeing, despairing/panicking types of character decisions and arcs, and I don't enjoy it, sadly.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I feel like Evan is a little too male model looking, whereas I think of Wally being a little more mischievous boy-next-door looking.
    There was Evanss in Knives Out...
    Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Only thing I could think of with the Wally Linda stuff is they could possibly be telling a story about Linda dealing with postpartum depression
    That's a distinct possibility.

Spurrier liked some tweets higlighting Linda’s postpartum depression so that definitely seems to be the case. Interesting wrinkle in the rekationship, I’m curious

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There was Evanss in Knives Out...

That's a distinct possibility.
    Well, sure. I just mean that he's just a little too perfect, preppy Ken Doll looking. I always think of Wally as being cute in a more approachable, obtainable way if that makes sense. I'm not knocking Evans. He's talented and likable, but I always think of Wally as more of a regular guy.

Let me get this out of the way first: I am a HUGE horror fan, especially literary horror like Poe and cosmic horror like Lovecraft.

That said, it is not necessarily the wrong milieu for Wally or Barry, but it all depends on execution. Spurrier did several things in this first issue that leads me to believe this run won't be for me:

- trying to out-Morrison Morrison with obscure science terminology that, unlike Morrison, neither served the characters nor the plot.

- cringey dialogue, especially for the kids.

- suggesting a future in which Wally will "go through hell" and will end up alone (or something similar)

- turning the birth of Wade West into a catalyst for a dark turn for Linda

- using the very tired trope of the Speed Force not working for Wally. We've seen power glitches for Wally since 1987, but it's been done to death in the last twenty or so years.

As for Deodato's art, I found it as unimpressive as I always have. He's never been a favorite artist of mine, though better writing would have made up for it.

Even though he's gone, kicking Adams off this book for a tonal one-eighty feels very much like a Dan DiDio move. DC finally restored Wally to his rightful place and (mostly) undid the damage of Heroes In Crisis and the crap that followed with the Mobius Chair, but this feels like a move made by someone who doesn't like Wally. Based on what I've read about and from Jim Lee in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if this was his idea. The needless darkness, the switch to horror, it's all truly awful decision-making that I thought was behind DC.

I'll be saving my money with this run and hoping that Wally won't be screwed yet again by the time it's over.
    Last edited by All Star Superman; 09-28-2023 at 05:18 PM.

Loved the first issue! Reminded me a bit of Morrisons Animal Man vibe. Wallys banter with Grodd was a lot of fun. Reminded me more of the Grodd from JLU and not the menacing monster from Johns run (which I liked too). The mystery around the speed force and how it is effecting the various speedsters is really interesting. I like the idea of redefining it, as I hated the whole Barrys accident created the speed force nonsense Johns created. I hate the idea of Thawnes negative speed force even more. (why doesn't everyone make their own? Stupid) So hopefully Si will do away with that in a creative way.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Wally and Linda relationship. I know we all have PTSD from what happened to Wally from 2011 to 2020...but I don't think that kind of stuff will happen again...at least anytime soon. Plus, other writers gave Wally and Linda challenges. Johns & Waid included. And they got through it. We don't want everything perfect all the time.

Characterization was great. Spurrier has a good feel for Wally. And man, Deodatos art is incredible. Can't wait to see where this goes.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Linda definitely feels like she's going through postpartum depression. My wife and I had to deal with similar feelings, and it was rough going for awhile until it was identified and we could work through it.

I wouldn't say this run is - or isn't - for me just yet. It's a tonal switch, for sure, and I was really enjoying what Adams was bringing to the table just before this, but Spurrier has the benefit of the doubt and whether I end up liking this run will likely depend on where it ends up. It could be an incredible journey, or a very bumpy road. We'll see. I know I was onboard with Adams day 1, but the only constant in life is change.

DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I never knew Wally also had romance drama involving a guy named Paul from Legends of the DC Universe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He's already been both Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers (who both started as teen heroes in the comics but were slightly older in the films). Can't see him as Wally because he's aged out. Wally would likely be quite young when introduced in the movies.
    Well, Wally wouldn't be so young when you consider Batman's Robin would be Damian in the movies.

Still, I agree that Evans's age wouldn't fit Wally's anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Well, sure. I just mean that he's just a little too perfect, preppy Ken Doll looking. I always think of Wally as being cute in a more approachable, obtainable way if that makes sense. I'm not knocking Evans. He's talented and likable, but I always think of Wally as more of a regular guy.
    I mean, it's likely the artist's "fault", but Wally is often drawn as a pretty good looking male model.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-03-2023 at 11:40 AM.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Well, I'm coming at this new to Flash, not been a big fan....and I really enjoyed this first issue...it's very Sci-Fi, which I like..from the glimpse of #2 with the Stillness the sci-fi ramps up and goes cosmic...good stuff...it's funny how that red creature looks less in #2, fighting away with Grodd at the feet of the Stillness...it looked impressive on last page of issue 1...

Issue 1 was very wordy, I liked this..you certainly felt you were getting a story, and your money's worth because of it! I'm not sure if Spurrier can keep this up, in a superhero comic, but will be fine by me.......and if horror elements come in, as mentioned in the Spurrier interview, well that'll be all good as far as I'm concerned..

Really enjoyed #1, I'm on board and looking forward to how things play out in The Flash!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    Well, I'm coming at this new to Flash, not been a big fan....and I really enjoyed this first issue...it's very Sci-Fi, which I like..from the glimpse of #2 with the Stillness the sci-fi ramps up and goes cosmic...good stuff...it's funny how that red creature looks less in #2, fighting away with Grodd at the feet of the Stillness...it looked impressive on last page of issue 1...

Issue 1 was very wordy, I liked this..you certainly felt you were getting a story, and your money's worth because of it! I'm not sure if Spurrier can keep this up, in a superhero comic, but will be fine by me.......and if horror elements come in, as mentioned in the Spurrier interview, well that'll be all good as far as I'm concerned..

Really enjoyed #1, I'm on board and looking forward to how things play out in The Flash!
    I agree with what you say about getting your money's worth. I had to take my time with this book and it's kind of nice to buy a comic that you don't just blow through in a couple of minutes. You don't get that as much these days and I appreciate it, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Well, Wally wouldn't be so young when you consider Batman's Robin would be Damian in the movies.

Still, I agree that Evans's age wouldn't fit Wally's anymore.
    You're assuming that all of the Robins would still exist though. I can see Tim being skipped. Dick will be Nightwing and Jason would already be dead. It's possible that Wally would be in his early 20s (assuming Dick also is), and of course his current age in the comics is around 30, which is still younger than Evans. Wally won't be a teenager, but he should still be youngish.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I never knew Wally also had romance drama involving a guy named Paul from Legends of the DC Universe.
    Everywhere we go we see his face

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Everywhere we go we see his face
    Apologies to all the good Pauls out there.