Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Green Arrow: Oliver Queen Appreciation 2023

God, last year sucked for Ollie so I hope they're preparing actual good stuff for him in 2023.

04.jpg

Happy New Year to our Emerald Archer !

(Was it that bad? He got a spotlight issue in DC Vs Vampires, although I think he died, the Bendis League was a bust, I guess his use in Death of the Justice League was pretty basic...)

We are getting a new book in a couple months right? I thought I read that somewhere...
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    We are getting a new book in a couple months right? I thought I read that somewhere...
    Yeah, sounds good right? Wrong. It's by Josh Williamson.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Yeah, sounds good right? Wrong. It's by Josh Williamson.
    Could be worse. It could've been by Bendis.
    (His DC stuff was not great)
    I'll be giving Williamson's tenure a shot.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Always Rakzo

It depends on what Joshua Williamson could be bringing to the table. He could do something fun that is fitting for his strengths like exploring the whole Green Arrow continuity... or he could do something derivative like making more Green Arrow and Black Canary like he has been doing most of the time he wrote Ollie.

I think Williamson is better at writing character solo's than he is writing "events."

His Flash and Robin were better received than his event stories.

Personally I'll just be happy to see the Arrow Family back together. Hopefully Mia comes back too.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

All I hope is we don't get scenes like Canary kneeing Ollie in the groin like the Percy run

The whole "women are allowed to beat up their male cohorts for no reason" is pretty gross

In the beginning . . .
    from More Fun Comics #73 (November 1941)

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    All I hope is we don't get scenes like Canary kneeing Ollie in the groin like the Percy run

The whole "women are allowed to beat up their male cohorts for no reason" is pretty gross
    Ah yes, the classic gender double-standard...

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ah yes, the classic gender double-standard...
    The fact we'll have more guy Arrows hopefully means we don't have to go through the whole "incompetent guy, far more competent women" that Ollie unfortunately gets saddled with

Always Rakzo

I think what was more annoying for me is that Percy tried to replicate the O'Neil/Adams' Green Lantern/Green Arrow dynamic this time with Ollie being 70s Hal and Dinah being 70s Ollie except that Percy's Dinah was much, much, MUCH more pedantic and annoying than 70s Ollie ever was (and that takes a lot).

And there's also the fact that Percy barely understood the political topics he wanted to cover of course.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In the beginning . . .
    from More Fun Comics #73 (November 1941)

I wonder how much of this stuff is in continuity again with the whole ''Oliver and Roy got tossed into the past for a while'' element now in play...

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I think what was more annoying for me is that Percy tried to replicate the O'Neil/Adams' Green Lantern/Green Arrow dynamic this time with Ollie being 70s Hal and Dinah being 70s Ollie except that Percy's Dinah was much, much, MUCH more pedantic and annoying than 70s Ollie ever was (and that takes a lot).

And there's also the fact that Percy barely understood the political topics he wanted to cover of course.
    Haven't read all of Percy's run, just the first few arcs, but yeah, Dinah was annoying as hell! Especially with her overt disdain for Oliver based on his wealth and how she got p#ssed off him with once for lamenting the loss of his fortune/wanting to recover it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    The fact we'll have more guy Arrows hopefully means we don't have to go through the whole "incompetent guy, far more competent women" that Ollie unfortunately gets saddled with
    Williamson generally doesn't write like that in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

I never really got that vibe from how he wrote them. Although I don't think he dived that deeply into the politics either (at least compared to his prior run).
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

"You have failed this city."