Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The point you're missing is that Laura would have chronologically been created BEFORE Maddie thanks to the Sliding Time Scale.

Maddie HAD to be created after X-Men #1, because she was explicitly created by Sinister AFTER Jean's death. It's simply not possible for her to have been created before the X-Men were even founded. However, if the entire Marvel timeline from X-Men and FF #1 through today fits into a 10-15 year time span, and Laura is 20 years old as established in ANW, it means she would HAVE to be born prior to that. Whether or not anyone knew about Sinister is made irrelevant.
    Maddie wasnt created after Jean's death. She was an inanimate husk in a tube and was given life when Jean died.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Maddie wasnt created after Jean's death. She was an inanimate husk in a tube and was given life when Jean died.
    She was still not created until AFTER X-Men #1. You're splitting hairs, here.

She was still not created until AFTER X-Men #1. You're splitting hairs, here.
    I just don’t think you can directly compare them bc the method of cloning is quite different. X23 was created via a very traditional method which included a human pregnancy and birth. She herself isn’t even a true clone. Sinister’s clones were created in a tube and had their growth accelerated which came with its own complications till he was able to perfect it

Extraordinary Member

I agree in retrospect (and ignoring exactly how it fits in with every other story) that Laura being 'born' before the first published X-Men stories is interesting to note.

Is it really significant? I can't recall every single clone in comics these days. Consider we just recently found out Essex created four (suited) clones of himself however long ago.

Amazing Member

It'd be kind of amusing to see Sinister make an offhand remark about how Sarah's efforts were "crude, but nonetheless provided the breakthrough I needed." Probably prefacing Laura stabbing him in the face.
    One of the things I kind of wish was followed up on from Wolverines (and the Liu run) is Laura’s antagonism with the Sinisters. He’s a solid enough foil to her mother and putting her against the clones he sends her way would have fun ethical dilemmas and character growth exploration. I know the most recent X-23 run sort of tried to do it but I thought the latter arcs were just kind of… off. Even back in Circle of Four Laura was wary about killing her clones, but if they have a bit more metal than she does all bets are off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I just don’t think you can directly compare them bc the method of cloning is quite different. X23 was created via a very traditional method which included a human pregnancy and birth. She herself isn’t even a true clone. Sinister’s clones were created in a tube and had their growth accelerated which came with its own complications till he was able to perfect it
    Frankly, it makes sense chronologically.

Laura is a clone grounded in real science, of the sort we're now actually capable of today (see also: Dolly the Sheep). That would be the natural starting point for Sarah to be working from. Sinister's method of using tubes and accelerated growth would REQUIRE breaking the "Traditional" method first. After all, if you can't clone a human or mutant with more mundane methods, how can you expect to do so using technology like Sinister's? Sinister has to be building from SOMETHING.

Pacing of deadly genesis is seeming a little slow, and I'm not sure Erica Schultz understands Kimura's invulnerable to Laura stabbing her.
    Characterization still competent though.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Pacing of deadly genesis is seeming a little slow, and I'm not sure Erica Schultz understands Kimura's invulnerable to Laura stabbing her.
    Characterization still competent though.
    I do appreciate the continuity nods. spoilers:
    IE the reference to Megan and Debbie in the shower, or Laura dumpster diving to survive.
    end of spoilers The art has not been servicing the story particularly well, tho. And I probably wouldn't go further than "competent."

It's also sad that merely being competent is enough to be such a MASSIVE improvement over how everyone else has been writing her these days.

I don't see the reason of Deadly Regenesis. I don't want to sound harsh, but the story seem as a retelling of other X-23 comicbooks who did it better. Laura think she's faster than Kimura, that she can kill her, though she would manage to shot another addict before doing so, that doesn't make sense. Laura can't kill Kimura, she's invulnerable (well, she did kill her in All New Wolverine, but by different means). At that distance, why not just slash the gun instead?

Why Kimura can phase through Laura? Did I miss something? Is she in MGH? Then she could also phase through Laura's attack, right? I read through this issue really quickly, so I might have missed a detail or misunderstood something

What purpose does this series accomplish? What new insight does it give us about X-23 and Kimura's rivalry? None, I think.

The art is a mixed bag. There are sequences that I really like, such as Kimura shooting one of the pacients. But other moments, like Laura jumping at Kimura, that I find weird.

Just to be clear, I'm not angry at this series or anything. I don't think it's being disrespectful or something like that.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Why Kimura can phase through Laura? Did I miss something? Is she in MGH? Then she could also phase through Laura's attack, right? I read through this issue really quickly, so I might have missed a detail or misunderstood something
    It never came up in the comics, but I remember reading somewhere her actual power was density manipulation, which is what made her invulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    What purpose does this series accomplish? What new insight does it give us about X-23 and Kimura's rivalry? None, I think.
    I got the impression this was really more about establishing a dynamic between her and Haymaker; which does make their near total absence in this issue a bit of a problem. It's over all pacing is an issue, I mean we're already over halfway through this story but it still it feels like it's just beginning.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 05-31-2023 at 09:41 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Amazing Member

I agree that it’s weird this was pretty much a Kimura spotlight issue when she’s dead and probably not coming back. (I really hope she doesn’t come back.) Agree that I have no idea what Laura hoped to gain through pretty much any of her actions in this issue. It wasn’t bad, just felt a little off start to finish. I will take “a little” off at this point. After how decompressed Issue 2 was it’s annoying that this one is equally slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I got the impression this was really more about establishing a dynamic between her and Haymaker; which does make their near total absence in this issue a bit of a problem. It's over all pacing is an issue, I mean we're already over halfway through this story but it still it feels like it's just beginning.
    The series could've worked in the present, with young Laura (or clone Laura? The one that is Wolverine nowadays) meeting Haymaker, more or less the same, I think. Minus the appearance of Kimura, of course. It wouldn't have solved pacing problems nor other issues I have with the series, but with a character that has just a couple of decades of existence, and that it's so easy to track down and catch up with her more important storylines, I don't understand why add a miniseries in this particular era of the character. Her character development has been pretty clear and well built by different writers imo, so I'd rather we keep going forward with Laura instead of backwards.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

"This is me being reasonable"

Astonishing Member

That one seems to once again give an impression on what is perhaps one of Laura's most well known outfit.

So…is Laura gone for the rest of the year? All she is in currently is xforce and I don’t think she even spoke during this past issue. Prolly just growled once or twice. Wish some writer outside of x books would grab her for a while, shake things up. This Laura has been stale with exception of exterminators