Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

There’s no way Disney goes anywhere near NYX.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shampoozie View Post
    People said there was no way Disney would do an R-rated Deadpool, too, yet here we are.

Astonishing Member

Like with all adaptations of american super hero works, because the continuity and characterization tends to be all over the place to downright non-sensical so often anyway, the license holders tend to give the creators more or less free reign to cherry pick and alter things as they see fit to produce a version they will deem acceptable for the much larger target audience of cartoons, movies and toys.

The thing they primarily have to watch out not to contradict too much, actualy being the pop culture image, rather than any kind of comic continuity.

After all, if something works the only people to really complain about such alterations are going to be a part of the allready small comic readership/fanbase and if something doesn't work it's unlikely to be alteration from the source material.

As negative as this might sound, only the comic readership actualy has to deal with the fallout of questionable stories, because their media has to adhere to an increasingly growing continuity, everyone else can just write something off as "bad take" and move on to the next.

So if Laura's NYX story holds anything the creators of adaptations deem worthwhile for their story they will cherry pick those elements and discard everything else.

For example only keeping 1. Laura hanging out with a bunch of disillusioned/runaway kids. 2. Lives in a run down apartment. 3. Does some "dirty work", which could be easily altered to stealing, smuggling, underground fights, etc. 4. Using the general aesthetics of the series.

Infact it can be argued that the only reason NYX is even remembered or would ever even be looked at for adaptations is because X-23 was in it and those are now the only parts that count. So the actual main characters of the mini might very well never even show up in an adaptation of it.

Now if Disney would actualy encourage Marvel to rerelease it, if they actualy use elements of it in a X-23 movie or cartoon appearance, the answer would likely be "no" because of not wanting people to know that the original story involved.
    Last edited by Grunty; 09-16-2023 at 10:38 AM.

I want more xterminators. Hopefully they have another one next year. Guess we’ll find out next month

BANNED

I want more xterminators. Hopefully they have another one next year. Guess we’ll find out next month
    I just want Marvel to acknowledge her 20th birthday. And get a writer who actually knows what to do with her and understands how to write her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I just want Marvel to acknowledge her 20th birthday. And get a writer who actually knows what to do with her and understands how to write her.
    If only that weren't too much to ask for these days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    If only that weren't too much to ask for these days.
    December solicits hit, and nothing. Marvel just doesn't give a damn

Amazing Member

Talon wasn’t on any of the December solicits. Which tracks with how much of a non-entity she’s been so far in the fall, but is still a little odd for the co-leader of the X-Men. Especially when there’s another Wolverine on the cover of the book she’s officially co-leading. And now Laura gets to be on the same team as her father. I think it has potential given that they haven’t really interacted since he came back, but I doubt anything much comes of it given how much of a non-entity she’s also been in X-Force.

I doubt Talon survives the re-re-boot they seem to be doing. We’ll see how Laura does in the next era.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    I think it has potential given that they haven’t really interacted since he came back, but I doubt anything much comes of it given how much of a non-entity she’s also been in X-Force.
    Counterpoint: It's being written by Percy. Who had her literally hamstringing people in a bar to win a drinking contest.

Nothing good can come of this.

Maybe Laura can drink herself into a coma and miss out on the rest of the run. At least her dialogue would improve greatly.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Counterpoint: It's being written by Percy. Who had her literally hamstringing people in a bar to win a drinking contest.

Nothing good can come of this.
    Logan and Laura can hamstring people in a bar to win a drinking contest together, get some real bonding time.

Laura should go to her black and grey costume if she remains on xforce. Think it’s way more x-forcey

Laura should go to her black and grey costume if she remains on xforce. Think it’s way more x-forcey
    They should just do that in general, those colors just way better suit her.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

The team needs a rebranding. Laura aside, none of them are X-TERMINATORS, though I understand wanting to maintain the copyright. With the naming conventions of the time I'm surprised they didn't go with something like SPARKS OF X, FIRECRACKERS OF X, BEVY OF X, BABES OF X, CREW OF X etc...

Last edited by Thirteen; 09-30-2023 at 07:38 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    The team needs a rebranding. Laura aside, none of them are X-TERMINATORS, though I understand wanting to maintain the copyright. With the naming conventions of the time I'm surprised they didn't go with something like SPARKS OF X, FIRECRACKERS OF X, BEVY OF X, BABES OF X, CREW OF X etc...

The way I saw it, they were xterminating the rogue faction of vamps. They could xterminate some terrible foe in the future. But I get what you’re saying. Also, what’s bevy of x mean? Was confused by that one