Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Duggan didn't really do much with Rogue or Sunfire either though. Duggan had the exact same problem in his Marauders run.
    Maybe it's time to except that that is a flaw of the writer instead of making up excuses with no basis to stand on.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Amazing Member

If he chose this team and didn't knew what to do it, then it makes him look terrible as a writer. You mentioned Marauders had the same problem, which means he is not doing a good job.

Never heard of Laura being forced by editorials, has anyone sources for that?
    With Duggan I wish he just didn't do anything with her, instead of writing her all about Synch (with exception of issue 10, which I think was after a fans reactions to his previous writing), especially since he just brought Vault Laura back,.

I just read X-Men 18, and ugh...

spoilers:

Lauras meet. They leave the rest of X-Terminators and Synch to have a talk. Conclusion is:
    - Senior Laura has dibs on resurrection. That means we're probably never getting rid of adamantium skeleton. Great.
    - Senior Laura still uses her boyfriends as taxi cab. Cool I guess.
    - Junior Laura ain't surprised that Vault showed up, since she has never seen the body. Goes well with her post Vault characterization.
    - Obligatory "Wolverines are like that" slogan from Duggan
    - Junior Laura keeps Wolverine mantle. Vault says she's been Wolverine long enough, so it's fair.
    - Vault doesn't want anything to do with young Laura. She doesn't want to be friends, she doesn't want to see her. Well Vault Laura, my feeling are mutual.
    - "Doing X-Men things" sounds rude, where Duggan means she's doing Synch. Guess it supposed to be funny gag.
    - both Lauras seem rather ooc and mean but ymmv
    end of spoilers

Amazing Member

Based on your and other persons reviews on x-men reddit, this issue sucks and Duggan is even worse than Hopeless when it comes to writing Laura. Just f@#$ing great start of 2023 for Laura fans

Quote Originally Posted by mesjarch View Post
    Based on your and other persons reviews on x-men reddit, this issue sucks and Duggan is even worse than Hopeless when it comes to writing Laura. Just f@#$ing great start of 2023 for Laura fans

GD writing sucks, but hey! We still have amazing Captain Marvel and X-Terminators, and in March we have X-23 mini-series.

I was just so happy when Laura was yeeted off X-Men team I hoped he would stop writing her.

I also feel bad for Synch fans. It was supposed to be their issue and neither of us got what we wanted

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post

spoilers:

Lauras meet. They leave the rest of X-Terminators and Synch to have a talk. Conclusion is:
    - Senior Laura has dibs on resurrection. That means we're probably never getting rid of adamantium skeleton. Great.
    - Junior Laura ain't surprised that Vault showed up, since she has never seen the body. Goes well with her post Vault characterization.
    - Junior Laura keeps Wolverine mantle. Vault says she's been Wolverine long enough, so it's fair.
    - Vault doesn't want anything to do with young Laura. She doesn't want to be friends, she doesn't want to see her. Well Vault Laura, my feeling are mutual.
    - "Doing X-Men things" sounds rude, where Duggan means she's doing Synch. Guess it supposed to be funny gag.
    end of spoilers
    I hate this. I hate this stupid vault plot. Please give laura a good writer
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 01-11-2023 at 05:27 AM.

Amazing Member

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    Hey, now. Hard to accuse Vault Laura of being OOC when we’ve only had like eight lines from her total. I didn’t really mind the dialogue writing compared to the past. spoilers:
    Both Lauras were standoffish, but it was a weird situation. And I understand the resurrection priority for the one that’s in a book with stronger opponents, especially since Young Laura’s adamantium seems to be here to stay. Odd that she was still seen doing her usual acrobatics in this issue since she’s presumably a lot heavier. Also, seems like X-Terminators might be an ongoing in the future. That’s cool. X-Terminators Laura is probably her most in-character book on Krakoa.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Hey, now. Hard to accuse Vault Laura of being OOC when we’ve only had like eight lines from her total. I didn’t really mind the dialogue writing compared to the past. spoilers:
    Both Lauras were standoffish, but it was a weird situation. And I understand the resurrection priority for the one that’s in a book with stronger opponents, especially since Young Laura’s adamantium seems to be here to stay. Odd that she was still seen doing her usual acrobatics in this issue since she’s presumably a lot heavier. Also, seems like X-Terminators might be an ongoing in the future. That’s cool. X-Terminators Laura is probably her most in-character book on Krakoa.
    end of spoilers
    Given the nature of X-Terminators as an intentionally over the top parody/homage, that's honestly kind of sad.

I didn't think it was entirely incompetent, if perhaps not worthy of praise; the spoilers:
    they don't want to have anything to be with each other
    end of spoilers, was the only part that made me go "Seriously?!", though that could be elaborated on later.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I didn't think it was entirely incompetent, if perhaps not worthy of praise; the spoilers:
    they don't want to have anything to be with each other
    end of spoilers, was the only part that made me go "Seriously?!", though that could be elaborated on later.
    It's editorial speak for." All of wolverine laura stories will no longer be involved with this subplot"

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    It's editorial speak for." All of wolverine laura stories will no longer be involved with this subplot"
    Which means Dugan won’t be writing young Laura too much. Consider that like a good thing lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Which means Dugan won’t be writing young Laura too much. Consider that like a good thing lol.
    Thank god for that, because frankly, I think Duggan is probably the WORST I've ever seen her written.

That's right. He's worse than Bendis AND Hopeless.

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    Vault Laura came across as quite the unlikable cold bitch to young Laura. This is quite the existential crisis and she basically comes across as hating young Laura for something that isn’t her fault.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Vault Laura came across as quite the unlikable cold bitch to young Laura. This is quite the existential crisis and she basically comes across as hating young Laura for something that isn’t her fault.
    This was my impression as well. I really hate how Duggan writes both Lauras
    Make Good Art