Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

So will Vault Laura turn out to be a sleeping agent? I mean, he already messed up Laura in so many ways that one more stupidity won't make a difference.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mesjarch View Post
    So will Vault Laura turn out to be a sleeping agent? I mean, he already messed up Laura in so many ways that one more stupidity won't make a difference.
    It's possible. Or maybe Jean's speech towards the end was really aimed at people like you and me lol. Hard to say. I think she'll stick around for the time being, then probably get written out one way or another once Duggan leaves.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I do not like Vault Laura plot at all. I double dont like to Laura running around. We only need one the true laura who now has white streaks sigh
    X-Men Forever

Astonishing Member

Since the comics currently seem to mostly deliver stories of questionable quality for Laura, i keep thinking of what future adaptations might pick up or flat out ignore because of how little worth it adds to the character or said adaptations.

Which made me think of Gabby. Mainly because unlike Vault Laura who feels like she will just awkwardly tread water for a while (potentialy too long) until being removed for good (and likely get unmentioned afterwards), Gabby seems like she will stay around for a while.

After all reception to her still seems generaly favorably, at least of those who become aware of her existing in the source material (comics), so she might actualy have a chance to appear if Laura herself can get enough focus.

Not saying it's 100% sure to happen, but it is an option that will always be on the table. Hence worth some thought for fun.

Which made me wonder how she could be adapted, considering the heavy streamlining that tends to happen?

For example would she still make sense to be a clone of Laura created much later by a different group (complete with the other 3 copies)? Or rather be one by the same creators as a failed first "mass production" attempt?

Or going the "sister" route and she is created the same way as Laura (combining DNA samples), by the same creators, only completely in a tank rather than natural born (a sort of test for a potential X-24)?

Likewise would it make sense to be added to Laura's escape, but getting left behind (accidently or intentionaly), or would that interrupt the flow of her backstory too much?
    Last edited by Grunty; 01-12-2023 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Vault Laura came across as quite the unlikable cold bitch to young Laura. This is quite the existential crisis and she basically comes across as hating young Laura for something that isn’t her fault.
    She does, but I think it makes sense. Vault Laura was robbed of nearly her entire young adulthood for the mission. Young Laura still has her whole life ahead of her. Maybe Vault Laura can’t help but feel jealous and bitter about that. Not to mention now her life and her relationships are now entangled with this clone of her that she never asked for, and her relationship with clones is complicated. I’m not thrilled with how the dialogue for either was written, but I can get on board with the spirit of it.

BANNED

I liked the Tom Taylor series when the change happened, but like, long term and in general and for marketing and for storytelling, why do people want Laura to be "Wolverine?" She has a good superhero identity and look that isn't just, "clone of Logan so also Wolverine".

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    I do not like Vault Laura plot at all. I double dont like to Laura running around. We only need one the true laura who now has white streaks sigh
    I think the younger version should be the "real" one; she has the most continuity with the pre-Krakoa Laura and would mean that we can gloss over the Vault crap when the Krakoa era is over and things are back to normal.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I liked the Tom Taylor series when the change happened, but like, long term and in general and for marketing and for storytelling, why do people want Laura to be "Wolverine?" She has a good superhero identity and look that isn't just, "clone of Logan so also Wolverine".
    I don’t. I’ve never liked it. It’s always felt like trying to fit a square peg through a round hole. I was ok with it when Logan was dead as a means to honor him, but the repercussions it’s had for her character are terrible. Writers handle her now as Logan Lite, and she’s lost a lot of her own personality among the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I don’t. I’ve never liked it. It’s always felt like trying to fit a square peg through a round hole. I was ok with it when Logan was dead as a means to honor him, but the repercussions it’s had for her character are terrible. Writers handle her now as Logan Lite, and she’s lost a lot of her own personality among the way.
    Posting to agree with general sentiment.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I liked the idea of it. The problem was the execution.

Laura was never really allowed to DO anything with the name. She got relegated to Hopeless's godawful shipping fic, while it was Old Man Logan who got the Flagship, and was the one who got to do all the "Wolverine Things." She may have gotten the name, but the Old Man got all the focus.

And as you noted, most writers have forgotten Laura's actual personality and have been increasingly treating her as interchangeable with Logan.

In the current era I liked having Laura be the X-men’s more public, superhero-y Wolverine while Logan led X-Force, the mutant CIA (i.e., “dirty tricks department” as Cable once referred to it).

Thought that was a great set up which gave both characters a clear lane, but unfortunately the execution has fallen flat. In both books IMO.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    In the current era I liked having Laura be the X-men’s more public, superhero-y Wolverine while Logan led X-Force, the mutant CIA (i.e., “dirty tricks department” as Cable once referred to it).

Thought that was a great set up which gave both characters a clear lane, but unfortunately the execution has fallen flat. In both books IMO.
    Yeah, especially with ANW emphasizing that Laura has become much more firmly the Cape to Logan's Cowl, I'd have liked to see that difference played up more.

But Marvel would never allow it. All you have to look at is how Logan was being pushed as the "Good Guy" during Schism, despite it just making him look like the King Of All Hypocrites.

Astonishing Member

So in the Marvel preview cataloge there is some pages from her upcoming series. On of withch is a flashback to her clarmont era. Is that good or bad

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I thought that it was cool to have her as the Wolverine, going through superheroes storylines, and reliving tropes that I've seen countless of times with Logan, but with a fresher new spin. And Tom Taylor also sold me well on the overall concept of her taking the title (after the horrific Wolverines series, I needed that). I read the first volume of X-23 written by Tamaki, which I liked as much as Taylor's run, and she did a good job explaining why Laura took back the name of X-23, but that justification only worked in the short term (I remember that it was something on the line of going against those who created and tortured her). So I was relieved when Hickman had her back as Wolverine, after reading Fallen Angels, which I hated, and seeing her still as X-23

Still, as fine as I would be with her being the only Wolverine, and Logan going on in other types of adventures where a superhero name isn't needed, I'm fine with whatever path the character takes, as long as it's well written and visually great
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I thought that it was cool to have her as the Wolverine, going through superheroes storylines, and reliving tropes that I've seen countless of times with Logan, but with a fresher new spin. And Tom Taylor also sold me well on the overall concept of her taking the title (after the horrific Wolverines series, I needed that). I read the first volume of X-23 written by Tamaki, which I liked as much as Taylor's run, and she did a good job explaining why Laura took back the name of X-23, but that justification only worked in the short term (I remember that it was something on the line of going against those who created and tortured her). So I was relieved when Hickman had her back as Wolverine, after reading Fallen Angels, which I hated, and seeing her still as X-23

Still, as fine as I would be with her being the only Wolverine, and Logan going on in other types of adventures where a superhero name isn't needed, I'm fine with whatever path the character takes, as long as it's well written and visually great
    I disagree about the Tamaki book. While it was AN explanation, it wasn't a GOOD explanation.