Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

The way i see it. The fundamental problem is that she isn't Wolverine and will never be really be.

Because to pop culture, fans of his character and the Marvel Universe at large, there is only one Marvel comics Wolverine and that is James Howlett aka. Logan. There is no way to split those two appart because there is no dual identity to divide.

Anyone else carrying the name will always be compared to Logan and defined by not being him.

Because Wolverine isn't a secret identity that protect it's wearer and those they hold dear, nor a title of a specific job or a mask which anyone else can fill out if they fit a basic requirement. It's the additional name for a very specific man.

This even extend to his costume. While it's an iconic part of the character, it's actualy only a secondary part to his identity. His claws are actualy a much more visual important part of his identity than it.

Look no further than 7+ successfull movies with the character in which he NEVER wore it, clearly showcasing that the man and his weapons are more important than the actual costume.

Mantle swaps on classic super heros are allready problematic enough and the longer a single character defines the "mantle", the more difficult it becomes for fans to accept anyone else wearing it.

But with Wolverine isn't a classic super hreo and there isn't a mantle to inherit. Therefor nobody else can ever successfully carry the name like Logan.

It worked for Spiderman, because that IS infact a secret identity, it's a mantle which others can pick up, a name and identity seperated from Peter Parker.

But Logan is Wolverine and Wolverine is Logan. Everyone knows that. Giving the Wolverine name and costume to Laura works as well as giving her an additional fist claw, his haircut and renaming her into Logan. Which is not at all.

Ironicaly the same counts in reverse. Laura was X-23, nobody else can ever be that in the same context, becuase the project name is so specifically tied to her as person and character.

As such it's futile and a waste of time to squeeze Laura into the name Wolverine, rather than reinforcing an identity on her own.

And before someone assumes i write this as a hardcore Wolverine/Logan fan. I'm not. It's understandable to me why people love him and why he gets so much attention. But i'm actualy somewhat tired of the character, his over-presence and the frequent attempts at making him special than is actualy good for the character.

As such the above comes from what i consider a neutral standpoint.

I can see both arguments. On the one hand, you're absolutely correct. However, look at Miles Morales. While he will never replace Peter Parker in the public eye, thanks to the Into the Spiderverse animated film and also the Spider-man PS5 video games he has transcended from being another Spider-man who appears in the comics only to now being "the other Spider-man" in the mass market. That's a big deal. Laura could do the same, depending on what they want to do with Logan in the MCU and how mutants, the X-men and their history is folded into it.

For example, if this was Marvel's plan, it could even start with the Animated Series revival. They could adapt the whole Fatal Attractions story where Logan loses his adamantium and leaves the team. This becomes a running subplot in the series, occupying the last 5 minutes or so of each episode. His enemies come for him in his weakened state, as happened in the comics. Somewhere in this he finds Laura, rescues her (or at one point after freeing her she actually rescues him from Deathstrike and the Reavers), and the end of the season sees him dropping her off at the X-mansion to become an X-man -- bestowing upon her the codename Wolverine and telling her to be a better one than he ever was -- while he himself continues healing and finding himself.

From there, we go to the MCU introduction of mutants and the X-men. It's possible to have Logan have been around for some time (having had his X-gene unlocked due to experimentation in WWI), even if Weapon X is more of a current thing in the films (like in the Ultimate Universe). So we see him become Weapon X (getting the adamantium), and get sent after the Hulk on his first mission, and then ultimately break away thanks to Xavier. We get an Easter Egg that they're still developing more weapons. Fast forward to an Uncanny X-men film, where Logan is a minor player, and after that (or concurrently) have him make appearances elsewhere using him as more of a broader MCU character (eventually a New Avenger) and someone who comes and goes in the X-films. Introduce Laura at some point in a Dis+ show or X-film, and play out a similar scene to the cartoon... with Logan wanting Xavier and the X-men to take her in and make her "a better superhero than he could ever be due to the blood on his hands." Something like that, which makes Logan a darker and more tragic character. He becomes more of the mutant world's answer to Nick Fury, popping up in lots of places and doing dark things, and maybe even appears in an eventual R-rated X-Force flick with Deadpool and others. While Laura dons a cowl of her own and becomes the Wolverine of the X-men.

Voila. This could all be done over the course of a few years and would establish Laura as "the other Wolverine" just as much as Miles is now "the other Spider-man" to kids everywhere, including my nephews who love him and Peter both.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

If Marvel was serious about Laura staying as Wolverine, they wouldn't have back-pedalled so fast with the Tamaki book.
    "Cable was right!"

Probably spot on honestly. I truly don't care either way. I liked her as X-23, and enjoyed her as Wolverine too. Especially when OML was around because it enhanced the difference between the two by leaning into an older Logan who didn't even wear a costume. Despite the fact that he still "hogged the spotlight." Personally I think that's just because OML is a popular Logan variant and the quality of his solo book was really good. Especially that Sorrentino art which was gorgeous. So writers wanted to use him. An even grumpier, meaner, less stable Logan has its appeal for some of us.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

To be fair, a lot of the replacement heroes at that time went back to their old names (Sam went back to Falcon for a while and Doom went back to Doom) or got new identities.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Probably spot on honestly. I truly don't care either way. I liked her as X-23, and enjoyed her as Wolverine too. Especially when OML was around because it enhanced the difference between the two by leaning into an older Logan who didn't even wear a costume. Despite the fact that he still "hogged the spotlight." Personally I think that's just because OML is a popular Logan variant and the quality of his solo book was really good. Especially that Sorrentino art which was gorgeous. So writers wanted to use him. An even grumpier, meaner, less stable Logan has its appeal for some of us.
    And aye, there's the rub, because as mentioned above Wolverine isn't actualy defined by his costume, especialy since he doesn't seem to wear it half the time regardless of his activities.
    So having a "grumpier" Logan around who isn't wearing the classic costume, isn't really showcasing a lack of "Wolverine" as much as it's business as usual.

Hence undermining the whole "Laura is Wolverine now" attempt, which was doomed from the start.

That being said. I think a story of her attempting to be his "successor" could have actualy worked quite fine. If only they didn't try to mantle swap a character who doesn't really have a mantle. Keeping her as seperated character intact, while merely having her "honor" him with wearing a costume like his.

Instead we are still left with the great debate of what actual new code name would suit her?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    To be fair, a lot of the replacement heroes at that time went back to their old names (Sam went back to Falcon for a while and Doom went back to Doom) or got new identities.
    I agree. The whole thing was too much at once, done too quickly and without enough dedication to keep it going. A attention seeking gimick without dedicated longterm planning (if there was they would have worked towards it over years beforehand).

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Look no further than 7+ successfull movies with the character in which he NEVER wore it, clearly showcasing that the man and his weapons are more important than the actual costume.
    I think people relate Wolverine more to Hugh Jackman than to the claws
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Both are pretty important it would seem. Personally I’m glad Hugh’s coming back. The “short king stans” should just wait for Puck to arrive in the MCU. Ha.

But that’s just my opinion of course. Love HJ’s Logan myself.

And, of course, if they end up using him as the MCU’s Logan too then it would certainly bring Laura along faster, due to his age. So the Laura fans ought to be rooting for that too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Both are pretty important it would seem. Personally I’m glad Hugh’s coming back. The “short king stans” should just wait for Puck to arrive in the MCU. Ha.

But that’s just my opinion of course. Love HJ’s Logan myself.

And, of course, if they end up using him as the MCU’s Logan too then it would certainly bring Laura along faster, due to his age. So the Laura fans ought to be rooting for that too.
    Honestly, with all the reports IE Evan Peters and Famke Janssen returning for Secret Wars/Kang Dynasty, I could see Daf-23 crossing over sooner rather than later, possibly as part of an Exiles series or property. ESPECIALLY since the TVA is apparently going to be involved in DP3, suggesting time travel may be in play in that film (I could see a scenario where Logan and Wade are bouncing through time and pick up Laura). The MCU has also historically been quick to introduce Legacy characters (IE, we got Scott Lang as Ant-Man from the start with Hank in the mentor role).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I think people relate Wolverine more to Hugh Jackman than to the claws
    While Jackman really defined the life action take on Wolverine, essentialy becomming the "human" face most people will have on their mind when the name drops, somewhat comparable to how Christopher Reeve was for a long time the face of classic Superman, i don't think he is more defining for Wolverine than the claws.

Jackman has played many different roles over the years, including other grizzeled characters, so without the claws and perhaps the haircut, most people might not easily know if a particular image featuring Jackman is supposed to be Wolverine or not.

The claws are both the character's trademark and primary mark of identification.

Infact it seems to be the reason why he and Laura need to constantly produce their blades even when it's completely unncessary for situation or draws unwanted attention to them. Because what ever it's comics, cartoon or life action, the claws need to be there as their trademark.

Hugh Jackman only becomes Wolverine with the claws visible. Which of course can lead to amusement when taking screenshots of his characters in movies like Australia, Les Miserables, The Fountain, Scoop, Prestige, Pan or The Greatest Showman and photoshop Wolverine claws on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I disagree about the Tamaki book. While it was AN explanation, it wasn't a GOOD explanation.
    I think it was the only possible one that even remotely worked. IMHO, it was the best of a bad executive decision.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Look who's joining X-Force in April.

Still not a lot of plot details about Regenesis, but it looks like Laura could be getting a new rogue.

A lot of covers for Laura in April.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Ultimate Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdn-TRCnr9w

Even Ewing at the 1:24:00 (close to it) mark talks about writing X-23.

When did he write X-23?