For fun here are more classic covers--

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    For fun here are more classic covers--
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Again with the cool Avengers lineups that don't necessarily revolve around Cap, Tony and Thor!

It helps that I'm a huge fan of Monica Rambeau and Machine Man, and also like Black Knight, Marrina, USAgent (jerk that he is) and Dr. Druid (even bigger jerk that he is).

It was a fun line up. Note that is not us agent but steve as the captain however he wasn't an avenger at the time but was called in to help with the heavy metal war for this issue. (and does a great job) He was gone after this issue again till the marvel eic wanted "monica to fail and get removed, droid to turn evil and cap back as leader" leading to the writer leaving soon after.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

It was a fun line up. Note that is not us agent but steve as the captain however he wasn't an avenger at the time but was called in to help with the heavy metal war for this issue. (and does a great job) He was gone after this issue again till the marvel eic wanted "monica to fail and get removed, droid to turn evil and cap back as leader" leading to the writer leaving soon after.
    Don’t all writers want to bring in their own Avengers team when they get to write the book?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Don’t all writers want to bring in their own Avengers team when they get to write the book?
    You gotta juggle personal taste, story reasons, and editorial...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I'm sure they do. But in the past that was always done organically with the existing members leaving and the ones the new writer wanted added actually being shown in the book. Sometime it would even be across multiple story arcs. Nowadays it's just issue #1, new team... no indication of what happened to the last lineup.

Actually, last time it was explained. At the end of No Surrender, several members of the three teams quit. Spider-Man was gone from Waid's team at the start of the event because of the events of Secret Empire (namely Parker Industries being destroyed, meaning Peter lost the Baxter Building, which had been the HQ for both PI and the Avengers). Wasp Jr had already joined the Champions. Vision was nearly destroyed and needed a sabbatical to undergo repairs. Thor was depowered (Jane died in her own book, was brought back by Odin but stopped being Thor, she would later become Valkyrie in War of the Realms). Waid's team therefore, was down to just Falcon and Hercules. The U.S.Avengers outright disbanded, as Sunspot decided to return to the X-Men. That just left the Unity Squad, but they would be losing members too - the Future Foundation was about to return, and that meant Human Torch would be leaving the team to reform the Fantastic Four. Quicksilver was believed to be dead, which needless to say also put Scarlet Witch out of action. She and Doctor Voodoo were going to be busy trying to get him back. And Rogue and Beast would also soon have to go, because of X-Men Disassembled and Age of X-Man. That leaves Wasp Sr, Synapse, and Wonder Man.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Actually, last time it was explained. At the end of No Surrender, several members of the three teams quit. Spider-Man was gone from Waid's team at the start of the event because of the events of Secret Empire (namely Parker Industries being destroyed, meaning Peter lost the Baxter Building, which had been the HQ for both PI and the Avengers). Wasp Jr had already joined the Champions. Vision was nearly destroyed and needed a sabbatical to undergo repairs. Thor was depowered (Jane died in her own book, was brought back by Odin but stopped being Thor, she would later become Valkyrie in War of the Realms). Waid's team therefore, was down to just Falcon and Hercules. The U.S.Avengers outright disbanded, as Sunspot decided to return to the X-Men. That just left the Unity Squad, but they would be losing members too - the Future Foundation was about to return, and that meant Human Torch would be leaving the team to reform the Fantastic Four. Quicksilver was believed to be dead, which needless to say also put Scarlet Witch out of action. She and Doctor Voodoo were going to be busy trying to get him back. And Rogue and Beast would also soon have to go, because of X-Men Disassembled and Age of X-Man. That leaves Wasp Sr, Synapse, and Wonder Man.
    Yeah, that sure sums it up. Kudos. However, that has been Marvel's standard practice for the last years. They have simply cleared the board from writer to writer. In the old days (yeah, I am one of those dinosaurs), writers used to tie up ends left by the previous writers before comming up with their own line-up. It gave a sense of continuity. I guess that's what some miss, rathar than, "the team broke up, or is too busy to fully commit, get who you want together."

Peace

Remember a few times they brought in all the former members and voted who would join also. They even voted on the reserves! Then they had a tv live event and a hero party to announce the members. (doom crashed one of the parties.)

Getting a new team used to be a huge event in the universe. Now who isn't a member at this point?

Extraordinary Member

In fairness, though, announcing a new lineup was quite rare for a long time. There wasn't a "new lineup" issue after the famous issue #16 until issue #150 (where they reprinted part of issue #16 because the whole issue wasn't finished in time). It became a bit more common after that but still not all that common.

In the past, Marvel didn't make much of a fuss over a new writer because they liked to create the illusion of a continuous story, so even when a writer quit or was fired, the new writer would carry on as if they were just continuing the previous writer's story. Today a new writer taking over is a big deal and something to be promoted, and usually involves a fairly clean break with whatever story the last writer was telling.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    In fairness, though, announcing a new lineup was quite rare for a long time. There wasn't a "new lineup" issue after the famous issue #16 until issue #150 (where they reprinted part of issue #16 because the whole issue wasn't finished in time). It became a bit more common after that but still not all that common.

In the past, Marvel didn't make much of a fuss over a new writer because they liked to create the illusion of a continuous story, so even when a writer quit or was fired, the new writer would carry on as if they were just continuing the previous writer's story. Today a new writer taking over is a big deal and something to be promoted, and usually involves a fairly clean break with whatever story the last writer was telling.
    Reminds me of when Marvel was really banking on a seasonal TV model for their comics.

Mighty Member

Remember a few times they brought in all the former members and voted who would join also. They even voted on the reserves! Then they had a tv live event and a hero party to announce the members. (doom crashed one of the parties.)
    So it's like Hellfire Gala but more like a traditional party with no Vogue costume or anything royal ball like that.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    So it's like Hellfire Gala but more like a traditional party with no Vogue costume or anything royal ball like that.
    Actually, the party was not to announce nor celebrate a new line-up, but to officiate the Avengers now being under the U.N.'s wings rather than of the U.S. Govenment's. It was like a diplomatic event, and Hercules was the only one I can recall wearing a sort of "gala" outfit, which was basically a toga. If I'm not mistaken, it also served to officially introduce to the world the Avengers' recently completed new H.Q., after the destruction of Hydrobase. AS far as I recall, it was a one-time deal. Hama's short run did foccus a lot on the business aspects of the Avengers.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Actually, the party was not to announce nor celebrate a new line-up, but to officiate the Avengers now being under the U.N.'s wings rather than of the U.S. Govenment's. It was like a diplomatic event, and Hercules was the only one I can recall wearing a sort of "gala" outfit, which was basically a toga. If I'm not mistaken, it also served to officially introduce to the world the Avengers' recently completed new H.Q., after the destruction of Hydrobase. AS far as I recall, it was a one-time deal. Hama's short run did foccus a lot on the business aspects of the Avengers.

Peace
    There was also the Heroes Return after they beat Morgan Le Fay when they elected a new team. And Avengers West did the same thing. More often than not though it has been about members leaving and new ones joining without all the pomp and circumstance.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    There was also the Heroes Return after they beat Morgan Le Fay when they elected a new team. And Avengers West did the same thing. More often than not though it has been about members leaving and new ones joining without all the pomp and circumstance.
    I recall press conferences, not public parties, such as the Hellfire Gala, which the previous poster mentioned. The Hama U.N. party is the only one I recall (during Simonson's short run, the Avengers led by Captain Marvel attended a gala, but as guests, only. They have also had huge gatherings among themselves, such as in Heroes Return, and in OGS, and even intimate gala dinners, such as the one Black Widow offered to Madison Taylor in Harras and Epting's run). I may be wrong.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 03-11-2023 at 06:01 AM.