Page 20 of 94 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So why didn't Ant-Man and Wasp make as much money? It relied on Endgame marketing just as much, if not more.
    It came out right before Endgame. LOL, I feel like you don't have any real points to make but you just want an argument.

Yeah, and how are sales for her book again?
    Her book. You mean the book she still has?

Not by much, if at all. Most of her appearances in the past was in team books and crossovers.
    One again, I feel like you have reached the point where you don't have anything to add to the conversation but you still really want to argue.

Thank you. I do take comfort in believing facts.
    Sureeeeeee of course you dooooooo
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Yeah. Kelly Thompson's run on Carol wasn't cancelled for low sales and at 50 issues is Carol's joint longest alongside Reed's Ms. Marvel. DeConnick's run is in third place, I believe, and I think was also not a sales related finish, as the writer switched after Secret Wars.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah. Kelly Thompson's run on Carol wasn't cancelled for low sales and at 50 issues is Carol's joint longest alongside Reed's Ms. Marvel. DeConnick's run is in third place, I believe, and I think was also not a sales related finish, as the writer switched after Secret Wars.
    Its a shame they don't let runs continue anymore when an author changes

I get a kick seeing those issue/trade numbers increase so it always saddens me when they relaunch things back to 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

I get a kick seeing those issue/trade numbers increase so it always saddens me when they relaunch things back to 1
    ^^^Same, it’s been a pet peeve of mine for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

DC seems to more often than not keep the book going even when they change writers, though they still do relaunch.

That can be a mistake. They didn't relaunch The Flash when Jeremy Adams started his run, even though his run stars Wally West and the previous one starred Barry Allen. The book got a new logo but the numbering (which is it's legacy numbering), was unchanged. Now Adams has been taken off the book just as sales are finally rising. People weren't buying it because they didn't even know Wally was now back as lead of the book. Marvel are no better. Jim Zub's Champions run didn't have a new #1 at first, instead his run started with #19, LGY #28 was a new #1, and that new run got cancelled at issue 10. They'd have probably sold more if issue #19 had been a new #1. Relaunching when the creative team hasn't changed doesn't work. But neither does not relaunching when there's been a major status quo change, such as who's wearing the Flash's cowl.

The next Champions run performed no better, also ending at #10, but that wasn't Marvel's fault at all, Diamond shutting down temporarily in COVID was to blame and Marvel punished them for wrecking their schedule (which affected their entire line-up - Champions was just particularly hard hit as it was a new relaunch) by dumping them in favour of Penguin Random House.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 03-27-2023 at 09:16 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I've always felt that the renumbering was aimed at attracting new readers, and I'm two minded when it comes to that. I mean, when I started collecting comics, most of my favorite titles were well over the 150's, even ore when it came to DC. Did it intimidate me? Yes and No. Yes, I liked when I found books that I could start from the ground up, and begin with #1. At the same time, there were pleanty of hints of what came before, and that really fired up my immagination, and encouraged me to hunt down back issues, a much lesser challenge with the resources we have at hand nowadays. There is very little that I haven't been able to, in some format, read and add to my collection. As for the change of foccused character and creative team, once again, may make a difference for new readers, but I don't think it does anything for the faithful reader. I mean, Iron Man didn't relaunch when Rhodey took over for Tony, Thor didn't relaunch when Eric Masterson showed up, and the Avengers didn't relauch every time a new line-up was introduced. Bottom line, the constant relaunchs, IMHO, break the feel of a continued story, but may be a good jumping point for new readers. As an "old" (very old) reader, I'm fine with the larger numbers.

Peace

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I don't think it's about attracting new readers, but the money from speculators buying #1s, hence the big drop off for the following issues. I think it's yet another short term strategy with long term consequences. They talk about #1 being a jumping on point, but it is also a jumping off point, that wasn't there when they kept the big numbers.

TBH, as a person who has had to order trades, or help customers order the right trade, all these re-numberings are confusing as hell.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I've always felt that the renumbering was aimed at attracting new readers, and I'm two minded when it comes to that. I mean, when I started collecting comics, most of my favorite titles were well over the 150's, even ore when it came to DC. Did it intimidate me? Yes and No. Yes, I liked when I found books that I could start from the ground up, and begin with #1. At the same time, there were pleanty of hints of what came before, and that really fired up my immagination, and encouraged me to hunt down back issues, a much lesser challenge with the resources we have at hand nowadays. There is very little that I haven't been able to, in some format, read and add to my collection. As for the change of foccused character and creative team, once again, may make a difference for new readers, but I don't think it does anything for the faithful reader. I mean, Iron Man didn't relaunch when Rhodey took over for Tony, Thor didn't relaunch when Eric Masterson showed up, and the Avengers didn't relauch every time a new line-up was introduced. Bottom line, the constant relaunchs, IMHO, break the feel of a continued story, but may be a good jumping point for new readers. As an "old" (very old) reader, I'm fine with the larger numbers.

Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I don't think it's about attracting new readers, but the money from speculators buying #1s, hence the big drop off for the following issues. I think it's yet another short term strategy with long term consequences. They talk about #1 being a jumping on point, but it is also a jumping off point, that wasn't there when they kept the big numbers.

TBH, as a person who has had to order trades, or help customers order the right trade, all these re-numberings are confusing as hell.
    ^^^You guys did a great job covering the reasoning, pros and cons, thank you.

Me personally, I prefer continuing runs as opposed to continual number ones.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Like there is a particular dopamine rush to collecting books that keep increasing numbers

I am jealous of those guys who have the entire collection of series like One Piece and Hajime no Ippo cause those series go well over 100 volumes.

Imagine that, a book shelf with over 100 hundred volumes of One Piece. It must be a beautiful sight.

Don't forget case closed over 80 volumes in america and even higher than that in japan! (we are behind!)

Our public library was trying to order a trade for dr aphra. They had vol 1 of the first series and was requested to order vol 2. Trouble is marvel has more than one volume 2 confusing them! This restarting is making reading trades a dc comics canon like mess! Do I get avengers vol 4, avengers vol 4 or avengers vol 4 next? Ugh. Just keep the number or start putting "vol 2" or "vol 3" on the title!

Imagine that, a book shelf with over 100 hundred volumes of One Piece. It must be a beautiful sight.
    Found this photo on google.

This has some of them anyways-

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is some of the first 95 case closed / detective conan mangas japan version!

[IMG][/IMG]

They do look great on a bookshelf.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 03-27-2023 at 06:02 PM.

On a happier note, how about some classic avengers comic ads for fun?

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ah, the age old classic era of Marvel ads...

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    Crystal and Sersi should have been here too IMO

Once and avenger... you know what they say
    Agreed. A real travesty. I hate that that era constant abuse and neglect.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com