Page 133 of 544 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 8147

Quote Originally Posted by BPStorm2 View Post
    You know what’s funny… they put this one out but this is for that Mohawk solo storm lol… beautiful picture but don’t use the 2021 Storm use the Mohawk sense it’s so popular lolol…
    I got excited for a sec (part of me still wants her to return to her role as Regent ). In any case this cover is gorgeous and I will picl this up and pre-order the mini series as soon as it’s available on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by StormBorn06 View Post
    Maybe they thought the title of goddess sounded too cool to give up.
    Its unnecessary. Storm is by all means the most perfect title or codename any superhero has had imo. Its fits her perfectly and it is badass. In her name and power are one and the same. Ororo of The Storm is somehow even better. The goddess thing as an aesthetic or codename is tired, its tacky and unnecessary. Time to retire it is that's all it truly is, a code name.
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean Sun View Post
    Its unnecessary. Storm is by all means the most perfect title or codename any superhero has had imo. Its fits her perfectly and it is badass. In her name and power are one and the same. Ororo of The Storm is somehow even better. The goddess thing as an aesthetic or codename is tired, its tacky and unnecessary. Time to retire it is that's all it truly is, a code name.
    Yeah, I definitely hope they use Ororo of The Storm more often. It's classically elegant and self-expressive.
    Al Ewing made Storm great again! Storm greatest challenge might not be a matter of destruction, but creation.

Yeah, I definitely hope they use Ororo of The Storm more often. It's classically elegant and self-expressive.
    given the meaning of her name i like that it essentially means Beauty of the Storm.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    given the meaning of her name i like that it essentially means Beauty of the Storm.
    So I can speak yoruba and i understand swahili and i laugh anytime anyone says ororo means beauty, because in yoruba ororo means oil and in swahili, I havent heard someone use it in swahili lol. Maybe cockrum had an idea of what he thought ororo was and run with it. The only think that comes to mind is that it sounds similar to dainty or soft in swahili. Aside that I dont know the correlation lol.
    Last edited by Taurean Sun; 01-24-2023 at 03:45 AM.

So I can speak yoruba and i understand swahili and i laugh anytiime anyone says ororo means beauty, because in yoruba ororo means oil and in swahili, I havent heard someone use it in swahili lol. Maybe cockrum had an idea of what he thought ororo was and run with it. The only think that comes to mind is that it sounds similar to dainty or soft in swahili. Aside that I dont know the correlation lol.
    in marvel universe it means beauty. so yeah. it's what it means to me on the page. lol perhaps her tribe has a different play on words, it happens. ^_^

but it is nice to know what it actually means in swahili though i don't think we know exactly what language Storm tribe spoke. i image it would be something like the wakandian language. but the idea of oil i like as well. i imagine her skin that color with the white hair and brow, can you imagine what light would look like reflecting off that.

oil(or fuel) of the Storm.
    Last edited by jwatson; 01-24-2023 at 04:18 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    in marvel universe it means beauty. so yeah. it's what it means to me on the page. lol perhaps her tribe has a different play on words, it happens. ^_^

but it is nice to know what it actually means in swahili though i don't think we know exactly what language Storm tribe spoke. i image it would be something like the wakandian language. but the idea of oil i like as well. i imagine her skin that color with the white hair and brow, can you imagine what light would look like reflecting off that.

oil(or fuel) of the Storm.
    Ororo in yoruba means vegetable oil, like anointing oil that type. And it's very clear storm tribe speaks swahili. Again not clowning on Cockrum storm wasnt the first charachter he called ororo afterall, he had another charachter before her called ororo. In swahili it means dainty or soft... delicate.

But it is a fictional universe so language can be bent, it's just sound weird to me as a native speaker that's all lol.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    [/B]

And that right there should make everyone pause and question if this man is in his right mind.

X-force started out so good. Then it was like a whirlwind of wtf.
    Percy probably made a very convincing argument for his book's direction. I personally don't like half the things Gillenister has done but I'm not looking at the long term vision, I'm not writing the book. It is what it is. I'm not going to play the blame game just because I don't like what is being offered. Clearly other people do like and appreciate and love Immortal X-Men so it's obviously a "me issue".
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-24-2023 at 06:54 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Ororo in yoruba means vegetable oil, like anointing oil that type. And it's very clear storm tribe speaks swahili. Again not clowning on Cockrum storm wasnt the first charachter he called ororo afterall, he had another charachter before her called ororo. In swahili it means dainty or soft... delicate.

But it is a fictional universe so language can be bent, it's just sound weird to me as a native speaker that's all lol.
    I really enjoy the sound of the name Ororo, in italian is like saying “Goldgold”
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Percy probably made a very convincing argument for his book's direction. I personally don't like half the things Gillenister has done but I'm not looking at the long term vision, I'm not writing the book. It is what it is. I'm not going to play the blame game just because I don't like what is being offered. Clearly other people do like and appreciate and love Immortal X-Men so it's obviously a "me issue".
    If he applied the same level of writing that he did in Xavier's issue to Storm, we wouldn't have a problem.
    Al Ewing made Storm great again! Storm greatest challenge might not be a matter of destruction, but creation.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

tomorrow should be an interesting day for storm fans. ready to discuss.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    tomorrow should be an interesting day for storm fans. ready to discuss.
    Bestie pls dm me deets.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    Exactly as you put it, they WROTE Jean showing her potential (as well as Iceman for that matter). Now I can openly admit that Pink Mode Jean would be a beast to write story to story so it should only be pulled out at the most powerful of enemies (as I've said amany times in the Jean thread, them not pulling it out against Knull was a big waste).

Like we've seen why most of the Omegas are Omega in their category. They can do sh1t that others of their power type can't. You don't see Xavier b1tch slapping Galactus nor do you see Idie freezing time or Polaris continuing to fight the good fight without a heart.

Storm's in a weird place where she's alone in her classification but at the same time she's getting outshined by actual power displays. That's all I really want from them, SHOW US why she's Omega. Show is why you continue to push the narrative that Storm is one of the most powerful mutants/beings to exist in the MU.

The most powerful thing Storm has done in this era wasn't even in an actual X-Book, but in the Power of Light story which actually totally took a dump on what we thought was her crowning feat aka Planet Size planet climate stabilization.

Storm's mutant powers should provide them with MORE than enough raw material to play with in showcasing her powers, but, if they want to tap into her divinity I would not complain.

I'm not sure about each of them. As for Exodus, that is an OP feat but IIRC he didn't do it alone, correct? He had Hope as his sword and Emma as his shield?
    yes to all of this with power of light I dont consider that a mutant feat as her mutant powers doesn't allow her to create weather effects from nothing as we saw in red. and unfortunately the trend is that storm gets better treatment in terms of feats outside the xbooks. curious to see what new power displays we see in the mini.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

If he applied the same level of writing that he did in Xavier's issue to Storm, we wouldn't have a problem.
    We'll see.
    Maybe he relies on Ewing's input for her issue (as he did during AXE) thereby avoiding any shortcomings. It would make sense if he did seeing as how Ewing is the one who charted her entire SoS story.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Yoruba is spoken on the other side of Africa. It's not her language. Even Swahili is only a relatively recent language, really a trading language developed from Bantu languages such as Sabaki(itself a culture/language that invaded eastern/southern Africa from the west) and Arabic, among other influences, in the last few hundred years(the earliest written examples, written in Arabic script, are only from 1711). We have been told Ororo's culture is as old as mankind(200,000 years or older, given Marvel's timeline of humans goes back at least a million years), with direct ancestors sited in pharaonic Egypt(3-5,000 years old), Atlantis(10-13,000 years old), and earlier. So there's no way her name should be interpreted through Swahili, Arabic, or Yoruba, at least not in a culturally sensitive manner, as they are all much younger/recent developments, and not indicative of her actual culture/language.

Ororo's tribe, as in her actual mother's, N'Dare's tribe, is still very much underwritten. We have no idea what language or culture they practice, in any detail. The tribe Ororo brought rains to speak Swahili, at least according to that Guggenheim story. Which was also very perfunctory and part of a largely ridiculous run anyways.

So to me, the depths of Ororo's actual mother culture still remains to be explored, including their language and the nuances of the meaning of her name. Even without Italian, I personally have interpreted her name as something like "gold of gold" or "the best of the best", which could be simplified in English translation as "beauty", but that is my own personal head canon. I'd love to see Marvel flesh out her ancestry and their culture, but it remains to be seen.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!