Page 52 of 83 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Does anyone remember the name of an old hulk villain in which he was an ape/caveman which became irradiated, thus turning his body into crystal?

Fantastic Member

I think size wise there's a reason for discrepancies which leads to artists getting scale wrong.

A lot of the time, the Hulk is hunched over or slouching. Probably from having to fit into smaller locations.

The question is do you prefer the hunched over Hulk which lends itself to bulky depictions (ala Fixit) or a standing tall Hulk (ala Professor) which fits in when drawn next to other characters?

In other words, a tall Hulk standing straight up looks weird in comparison to other people standing up.. but a tall hunched over Hulk looms over people and looks bigger (think of how tall he'd look standing in that depiction!)

It doesn't matter anyways, Wolverine is supposed to be 5'3" or something. He'd be as tall as Hulk's knee.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Does anyone remember the name of an old hulk villain in which he was an ape/caveman which became irradiated, thus turning his body into crystal?
    Missing Link? PKJ mentioned him recently by name apparently he wanted to include him in the earlier issues of his new run but changed his mind later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    My own take is that Hulk never having killed anyone was dumb and I’m perfectly fine with Hulk killing people. I don’t want him wiping out whole towns as collateral damage, at that point he’s a villain, but if a bunch of mooks shoot him and Hulk kills a few? Fine by me. I prefer my Hulk to not be in line with the “classic” hero tropes such as refusing to use lethal force, Hulk has more in common morality wise it’s someone like Conan over someone like Captain America.
    Hulk definitely has purposely killed, but...usually it was characters that tried to kill his friends or loved ones. What Hulk's not is some reckless monster...bent on destruction...with no regard for innocent life.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    It wasn't, it was likely just quietly ignored according to Ewing at least. The death doesn't have to be shown specifically for us to assume it could have happen, i mean tusnami waves higher than houses hit the buildings as we see people run in the streets, i can guarantee you people died there.
    Or maybe it wasn’t as bad as it seemed since it was not thrown in Hulk’s face. That was during a time when politics played heavily in comics.

I think it's the best idea ever, especially with a character like Hulk.

It's funny because Ewing specifically sites that his biggest inspiration for Immortal Hulk was the first 6 issues of the character, where Hulk was constantly morphing and Stan Lee and Jack Kirby did not know what to do exactly with him or what they wanted him to be.
    Stan Lee has mentioned that in the early issues of Hulk, the problem he had was finding his voice, not his incarnation. He didn’t want him sounding like the Thing. Also, there was an in story story of the gamma trying to find balance not more identities. Under Stan Lee, Hulk was a “dichotomy”, so whatever changes were between Banner and his gammafied self.

He destroyed a part of the city. Are you saying all those buildings were 100% empty? Also we dont know if all of the military survived either. The "precision strike mind" thing comes from a retcon that you dislike so much and was first mentioned under Pak in that famous Amadeus Cho page where he explains to Hulk how his mind works. If we go back to the old comics Hulk was every bit as reckless as you can imagine and some times that resulted in random people being hurt or crippled or even killed.
    People tend to leave when Hulk’s around. Marvel misunderstanding stuff. And you’re going to tell me the military was going to unload on Hulk with tanks and automatic weapons and whatnot in a major city filled with civilians???

As for the "famous Amadeus Cho page," Bill Mantlo and Peter David come to mind as Hulk writers that also mentioned Hulk has uncanny accuracy. There are also many in story instances showing Hulk’s precision strikes.

Yea, Hulk is a complicated guy in that same issue he also almost killed Thor and the narration even states he doesn't care if Thor is dead or not after the beating he gave him.
    Again, Eric Larsen was not a Hulk writer. Read Hulk from his beginning until Al Milgrom and you’ll see his moral compass. He definitely had his moments that seemed threatening and even went mindless after Secret Wars, but for the most part he was looking for peace and a place where he felt wanted but succumbed to Marvel Comics style internal character struggles...

Yes exactly, he isn't. In fact we see Al Ewing going back and recapping all the many times Hulk "died" only to come back and made it an ability of the character, as well as expanded on it. The stuff Ewing added to the mix was more than necessary. For all my love of Hulk before Ewing he was 98% of the time as deep as a puddle and that's even with PADs writing, let alone Stan Lee's. One of the worst things about Hulk was his lore, which is to say he literally has none other than a bomb went off and irradiated Banner and he became a monster, it couldn't be more boring by itself and even back than it was a tired trope. Adding all this lore to gamma has given new life to the character and showed others that Hulk can actually be a very complex character.
    I don’t know what you were reading...but that ain’t it....

I do hope PKJ expands on this even more with the Mother of Horror and how she relates to TOBA and the green door, as well as what was meant by Hulks body being part of "Godflesh" that belongs to her.
    If PKJ can tie gamma beings to the story of the Demiurge without taking away from the real history of gamma-rays and what they do...I’ll write him off as smart as me...
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 07-20-2023 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    I remember Sandman turning into glass...

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    I think size wise there's a reason for discrepancies which leads to artists getting scale wrong.

A lot of the time, the Hulk is hunched over or slouching. Probably from having to fit into smaller locations.

The question is do you prefer the hunched over Hulk which lends itself to bulky depictions (ala Fixit) or a standing tall Hulk (ala Professor) which fits in when drawn next to other characters?

In other words, a tall Hulk standing straight up looks weird in comparison to other people standing up.. but a tall hunched over Hulk looms over people and looks bigger (think of how tall he'd look standing in that depiction!)

It doesn't matter anyways, Wolverine is supposed to be 5'3" or something. He'd be as tall as Hulk's knee.
    I think it should depend on the incarnation whether he is hunched over or stands upright like a normal person. My issue is when Hulk’s "normal" height is portrayed over eight feet tall. It's hard to imagine him having a relationship with Jarella, Caiera or Umar.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Default Back In The Days...Before The Complete Destruction Of ALL THINGS GAMMA!!!

Peep Hulk's height and the differences...The TRICHOTOMY!!!

Default Doctor Jekyll'd...The Protocol "MUST" Be Followed = Bonding ~ Cell...MUTATION!!!

The Lost Science Of Gamma Series

GAMMA LAB!!!

Gamma = THE SCIENCE THEREOF...

Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 07-20-2023 at 10:28 AM.

Wonder if that visual of a red Absorbing Man inspired Creel's "Bannerman" look during the early issues of Immortal (which wound up with the famous 'torn in half' image).

chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The preview for IH #2 is now up: https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/mar...edible-hulk-2/

- I think we've seen most of these panels already.

INCREDIBLE HULK #5

PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON (W) • TRAVEL FOREMAN (A) • COVER BY NIC KLEIN
    NEW CHAMPIONS VARIANT COVER BY DAN PANOSIAN
    VARIANT COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU • VARIANT COVER BY ALEXANDER LOZANO
    COMUNIDADES VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    THE SWAMP SIREN REVEALED!
    Hulk tracks down the beauty that has been luring man and monster alike to their dooms!
    An epic brawl breaks out between the Jade Giant, Man-Thing and the true face of the Swamp Siren…
    …but even the Jade Giant is not immune to her song!
    Plus… A backup story featuring a surprise guest character to honor Latin and Latinx characters and creators!
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99
    Between Eldest and Swamp Siren, Hulk is getting more women Rogues! Glad to see it, that’s always been a weak spot in his Rogues Gallery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolwyr View Post
    The preview for IH #2 is now up: https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/mar...edible-hulk-2/

- I think we've seen most of these panels already.

I refuse to read previews because it feels like they spoil half the issue!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

CRYPT OF SHADOWS #1
    AL EWING, SARAH GAILEY, STEVE ORLANDO, CAVAN SCOTT, DECLAN SHALVEY (W)
    PAUL AZACETA, ALEX LINS, EDER MESSIAS, Devmalya Pramanik & MORE! (A)
    Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU • VARIANT COVER BY BJÖRN BARENDS
    VARIANT COVER BY Paul Azaceta

REOPENING THE CRYPT!

Once more, as All Hallows' Eve draws nigh, the dust-covered slab that seals shut the crypt, blocking out the sun and casting it forever in shadow, has creaked open to let the darkness loose to prey on the Marvel Universe! Be they mercenary or mage, guided by law or by rage, our heroes will face their terror, and they'd best pray their spines are sturdy enough for the job…or the crypt they find may well be their own!

40 PGS./ONE-SHOT (OCT)

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Between Eldest and Swamp Siren, Hulk is getting more women Rogues! Glad to see it, that’s always been a weak spot in his Rogues Gallery.
    It took me a bit to think about it, but... yeah, that's true.

He doesn't really have any standout women in Rogues Gallery.

I refuse to read previews because it feels like they spoil half the issue!
    Fair enough!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    Hulk definitely has purposely killed, but...usually it was characters that tried to kill his friends or loved ones. What Hulk's not is some reckless monster...bent on destruction...with no regard for innocent life.
    Depends on the incarnation. I am fine with having incarnations like Maestro and Titan and Guilt Hulk and Devil Hulk as i am fine with Joe Fixit and Merged Hulk and Savage Hulk and Green Scar, etc...

Or maybe it wasn’t as bad as it seemed since it was not thrown in Hulk’s face. That was during a time when politics played heavily in comics.
    Maybe.

Stan Lee has mentioned that in the early issues of Hulk, the problem he had was finding his voice, not his incarnation. He didn’t want him sounding like the Thing. Also, there was an in story story of the gamma trying to find balance not more identities. Under Stan Lee, Hulk was a “dichotomy”, so whatever changes were between Banner and his gammafied self.
    Stan Lee had a lot of problem in earlier issues he wasn't even 100% sure what he wanted Hulk to be, he also argued with Kirby about what powers he should have, for instance Kirby wanted Hulk to fly but Stan didn't want to.

People tend to leave when Hulk’s around. Marvel misunderstanding stuff. And you’re going to tell me the military was going to unload on Hulk with tanks and automatic weapons and whatnot in a major city filled with civilians???
    They tend to but that also depends on how much time they have for it. Are you new to how military works? Even in real life they fight in urban areas fairly recklessly all the time.

As for the "famous Amadeus Cho page," Bill Mantlo and Peter David come to mind as Hulk writers that also mentioned Hulk has uncanny accuracy. There are also many in story instances showing Hulk’s precision strikes.
    That was more how Hulk is just accurate for the sake of being precise at striking something, not as an excuse for why his mind subconsciously avoids killing civilians.

Again, Eric Larsen was not a Hulk writer. Read Hulk from his beginning until Al Milgrom and you’ll see his moral compass. He definitely had his moments that seemed threatening and even went mindless after Secret Wars, but for the most part he was looking for peace and a place where he felt wanted but succumbed to Marvel Comics style internal character struggles...
    It wasn't just Eric Larsen even Stan Lee wrote Hulk extremely out of character as we established. Also as you mention it even during many other writers like Milgrom Hulk had his moments where he was going wild, this has been core of the character since the earliest of days, he isn't your typical super hero that has a code against killing like Superman and that's a good thing, it makes him all the better instead of run of the mill super heroes you see left and right.

I don’t know what you were reading...but that ain’t it....
    I have read all of Hulk, so it is it.

If PKJ can tie gamma beings to the story of the Demiurge without taking away from the real history of gamma-rays and what they do...I’ll write him off as smart as me...
    PKJ is already tying it all to what Ewing did, so dont expect him to do what you want him to do and thank god. I am tired of writers ignoring or even retconning previous writers runs mostly out of pure laziness because they haven't read those runs, instead we are building up in Ewings run more which is perfect. Bring in the Godflesh.

BANNED

PKJ is doing a panel at SDCC so we might get more news regarding future Hulk stuff.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kolwyr View Post
    It took me a bit to think about it, but... yeah, that's true.

He doesn't really have any standout women in Rogues Gallery.
    Yeah thats an issue with a lot of rogues gallery in general. Stand out women antags are pretty rare.