Cover Date: July 1998
    Sale Date: May 20th, 1998
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Adam Kubert
    Inker: Mark Farmer
    Letterer: John Workman Jr.
    Colorist: Steve Buccellato
    Editor: Bobbie Chase

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: General Ross, Doc Samson, Betty Banner, Marlo Jones
    Synopsis: Seconds after the ending to last issue, we see a grief-stricken Hulk break out of Banner’s quarters with the radiation-stricken body of his wife and rush her to the medical lab. Elsewhere, Marlo has decided to start reading Betty’s autobiography and we’re treated to her POV of her life during different eras of the Hulk’s publication history. Back in the med-lab, General Ross is horrified at the sight of his daughter. Doc Samson explains the situation and Ross explodes at the Hulk, thumping his fists at the brute’s back telling him that Banner needs to fix the situation. The Hulk reacts in typical fashion and Samson is able to stop him from killing Ross on the spot and convinces the Hulk to relinquish control to Banner in order to help Betty. More autobiography reading is shown by Marlo and we see Banner rig up some equipment that will hopefully drain the radiation from her body. Another tense confrontation occurs between Ross and Banner; as Ross demands to know what type of radiation is killing his daughter. It’s gamma, and he vows to get Betty cured. Still more Marlo book reading as Banner flips the switch and the machines begin to siphon and repair the radiation damage on Betty’s body. Everyone begins to celebrate the miracle and Ross starts to apologize when suddenly Betty flat lines and dies. The issue ends with Marlo exclaiming that she can’t wait to tell Betty how good her book was as Betty’s lifeless hand relaxes and drops Banner’s wedding ring shortly before the medics give her time of death.
    Commentary: Heavy issue. I don’t have an exact memory of my reaction to this issue as clearly as I did previous ones, but one that sticks out is “they actually did it!” And in typical fashion, I thought “how long before they bring her back?” Being a regular reader of Wizard Magazine at the time, I don’t know if I knew about PAD leaving the book before or after I read this. I think it was in the Ultimate Hulk prose book that I found out. (I really liked the 90’s prose Marvel novels, miss them).

Fantastic Member

I think I remember PAD saying that the date in the comic is when his wife announced they were divorcing or something.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenXXX View Post
    tl;dr most of the interview PJK doesn't talk about Hulk and when he does he just says stuff he has already said before in the previous interview.

The only thing he added which he says is a spoiler, even though it doesn't sound like much of a spoiler to me lol, is that the very end page of the first Hulk issue is gonna be super important, it's setting up something big, whatever that is. Like i said not seeing how that is much of a spoiler, but i digress.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    tl;dr most of the interview PJK doesn't talk about Hulk and when he does he just says stuff he has already said before in the previous interview.

The only thing he added which he says is a spoiler, even though it doesn't sound like much of a spoiler to me lol, is that the very end page of the first Hulk issue is gonna be super important, it's setting up something big, whatever that is. Like i said not seeing how that is much of a spoiler, but i digress.
    He had described a pitch for a WW2 era Nazi hunting team up book before making that comment. It sounded like he is bringing something from that pitch to this Hulk series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FrazettaHulk View Post
    He had described a pitch for a WW2 era Nazi hunting team up book before making that comment. It sounded like he is bringing something from that pitch to this Hulk series.
    Yea the one with Ghost Rider at the helm, not sure how i see the connection considering that pitch is different in almost every way to his Hulk run, but maybe we will see Ghost Rider make an appearance or something lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post

I like that we know very little. It's exciting. It feels like Immortal Hulk in the best ways. Plus, I love that he's compared it to Hellboy series, which is great stuff! I believe we're in very good hands for this run.

Curious he gets into the 'breaking trust' thing-Banner promised Savage over in Immortal Hulk that their relationship would be different after defeating Roxxon, but of course imprisoned him in the "Engine room" for most of Cates's run after the El Paso inciddent (Believing that Titan was an alter rather than some kind of parasitic supernatural thing I guess?).

Also if the persona is the Green Scar Banner maybe GS is a bit bitter about being stuck while Devil ran the show. Maybe the Leader possession (In which Devil 'died') wasn't exactly against his will? Over in Fantastic Four Devil kind of 'let' Puppet Master use him against the Thing, for example. Or maybe Bruce is 'blaming' Green Scar for what happened to Devil much like he blamed Savage for Titan despite neither being their fault.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Curious he gets into the 'breaking trust' thing-Banner promised Savage over in Immortal Hulk that their relationship would be different after defeating Roxxon, but of course imprisoned him in the "Engine room" for most of Cates's run after the El Paso inciddent (Believing that Titan was an alter rather than some kind of parasitic supernatural thing I guess?).

Also if the persona is the Green Scar Banner maybe GS is a bit bitter about being stuck while Devil ran the show. Maybe the Leader possession (In which Devil 'died') wasn't exactly against his will? Over in Fantastic Four Devil kind of 'let' Puppet Master use him against the Thing, for example. Or maybe Bruce is 'blaming' Green Scar for what happened to Devil much like he blamed Savage for Titan despite neither being their fault.
    I mean, the last time we saw Gravage/Green Scar before this was in Aaron's run. Where GS had Doom literally rip him out of his head, and then after Banner "died" and ended up back in Hulk's head (inexplicably at the time, but Green Door-ness in retrospect, I suppose), they eventually came back to a detente with Banner accepting he couldn't be cured, and them working together.

Then came Waid's run, where Banner was once again working to suppress the Hulk's intelligence (replacing GS as the active Hulk not only with Savage, but a *brain-drained* Savage who barely spoke).

Really, in both GS-specific and Hulk-general natures, GS being P.O.ed shouldn't be shocking.

Was it ever stated what smart Hulk persona was that gave the gamma to Cho in Totally Awesome Hulk? I suppose it could've been the lingering Savage as Doc Green, as he was still smart by the time of Time Runs Out/Issue #1 of Secret Wars; it wasn't until Immortal where he was fully savage again.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Was it ever stated what smart Hulk persona was that gave the gamma to Cho in Totally Awesome Hulk? I suppose it could've been the lingering Savage as Doc Green, as he was still smart by the time of Time Runs Out/Issue #1 of Secret Wars; it wasn't until Immortal where he was fully savage again.
    If I remember right it felt like he was just writing the same Hulk from his run.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #467
    “The Lone and Level Sands”
    Cover Date: August 1998
    Sale Date: June 17th, 1998
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Adam Kubert
    Inker: Mark Farmer
    Letterer: John Workman Jr.
    Colorist: Steve Buccellato

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Rick Jones (past and present versions), Marlo Jones, General Ross, Doc Samson in flashback.
    Synopsis: Ten years after Betty Banner’s death, we find a freelance reporter named “Peter” talking to Rick Jones at his home about the effects it had on the Hulk. Rick is middle-aged, a full beard and long hair, tied back and chain-smoking a pack of cigarettes in his study sitting by the fireplace. He’s not the Rick we’re used to seeing. He’s stone-faced…stoic. He goes into detail about what happened after Betty died; Banner immediately tried to kill himself and General Ross having him imprisoned. At some point, Rick is given permission to pay him a visit. Bruce says he’s fine but he’s clearly not. After a hefty discussion, he says his goodbyes and casually transforms into the Hulk and breaks free. From there, it’s told that the Hulk went on a rampage, with a suicidal Banner inventing new ways to kill himself and climaxing in a tremendous battle with the Avengers. Apparently Betty’s funeral was a who’s who of super heroes, old friends and acquaintances. She was cremated and the ashes sent to General Ross, who died some time afterwards. Time went by, and Banner and the Hulk were not seen for quite some time. Rick and Marlo’s marriage had become strained after Betty’s death, and one random night after they had separated, Rick is startled to find Bruce sitting in his wheelchair and smoking his pipe. Rick asks if he’s ok, Bruce says he is now – hadn’t been for a while. A long-winded exposition about Banner’s current state of mind fills in the reader. He gets ready to leave and Rick calls him back. Bruce casually turns around, pulls down his glasses to reveal glowing green eyes, and flatly says “Sometimes it’s best to move on” and walks out the door. The flashbacks end and we go back to the present/future and Rick gives us updates on the rest of the cast. General Ross died during something called the “Hell on Earth War” and Janis was killed by the Abomination. A year later, the Hulk reappeared but had changed again and became romantically involved with Cary St. Lawrence. “Peter” asks if everything that had happened could have been avoided and Rick tangents off into an alternate reality conversation. The interview is interrupted by Rick’s daughter, Betty, purposely named after his late friend. He cuts the interview short, as his emotions are starting to get the better of him. Betty scurries off as he winds down the interview. The fire slowly burns itself out and Rick calmly and softly states that he’s said enough.
    Commentary: Thus ends the Peter David run.
    Much like Claremont on the X-Men, editorial pushed for a direction that the writer wasn’t willing to commit to, and boom. It’s over. Someone higher up the food chain wanted a completely mute Hulk just smashing things, no Banner. Just a lot of Hulk smash. David objected and they said “SEE YA!”
    I don’t remember where I read it, whether on PAD’s old website many, many years ago, or in a TwoMorrow's magazine, but he had revealed he was intending on leaving the book at issue #500. What he had planned was shown in extremely condensed versions in this issue; the battle against the heroes was to be a major storyline, Banner trying to kill himself was supposed to be an underlying subplot, the 2nd death of Ross, Janis’ death, the Hulk and St. Lawrence…and it was supposed to culminate in a gi-normous throw-down against the Maestro. Whatever the ending was, it was going to clean the slate for the next writer to do whatever he pleased. The toys were to be put back in the box for the next kid to play with, as it were.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Hulk/Sub-Mariner `98 #1
    “Lifesblood”
    Cover Date: 1998
    Sale Date: June 10th, 1998
    Writer: Chris Cooper
    Artist: Doug Wheatley
    Letterer: Richard Starkings/Comicraft
    Colorist: Digital Chameleon

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Namor, Lord Vashti, Zantor
    Villain: Attuma
    Synopsis: A grieving and distraught Bruce Banner cannot cope with the death of his wife, and decides to take a boat out to sea and end his life. Unable to pull the trigger, he shoots the boat floor and sinks. He transforms into the Hulk before he can expel the air from his lungs but it doesn’t help, as there wasn’t enough air for the Hulk to contain. He blacks out, but is rescued by an Atlantean scientist who has given him a water breathing elixir. A side effect is his skin changing from green to blue. He escapes and wanders the ocean, encountering Namor the Sub-Mariner. Namor believes the Hulk to be in league with his enemies, who have apparently used a sample of the Hulk’s blood to turn Lord Vashti into a gamma mutate. Together, they manage to subdue him and the Hulk later helps the Atlanteans defeat a gamma-charged Attuma. Later, after the potion has worn off, the offer him transportation back to the surface. The issue ends with a picture of the Bruce and Betty on their wedding day sinking to the ocean floor.
    Commentary: I’ve read this once in the 20+ years since it came out, and was kind of meh about it. What’s funny is that I’ve read on some random blog or message boards about this story created a blue Hulk incarnation.
    No. Just…no.
    Goddamn people, fricking READ the story.
    Years before PAD returned to add the retcon of him breathing underwater, the Hulk was capable of holding his breath for hours at a time, or, in this case, drank a serum to breathe underwater. This issue and in waaaaaaay the hell back in #119.
    He turns blue because of the serum in this issue. It’s right there in the print.
    One thing that also bugs me, and this could be an awesome “between the panels” story, is that wedding photo. Soooooo, was this taken before Ross crashed the wedding and shot Rick…or after???

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Banner and that St. Lawrence woman? What?
    "Cable was right!"