Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would say maybe he didn't want to touch on Maestro because that's PAD's baby (moreso than Joe because PAD keeps writing mini's for him).

I actually wonder if that's why the real Green Scar never showed up is because Ewing didn't want to step on Greg Pak's toes.

(I think he said he wasn't interested in Professor/Merged which is why he never showed up?)
    That could be it. Maybe writers don’t want to tamper with the great work of other writers. That’s what makes Jenkins retcon even more unnecessary, he basically retconned a seminal run for no real reason or pay-off.

Interestingly, I think the most recent sightings of Professor Hulk are in the Maestro minis that PAD is writing.

Or at least I think that’s Professor Hulk that becomes the Maestro. Duggan seemed to be suggesting it was Doc Green that becomes the Maestro eventually so I’m not sure how everything fits into cannon.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Betty was blonde in the comics in the 90s? Is that why she's blonde in the cartoon? I just assumed they'd deviated from the comics design for her for some reason.
    For about three years, 1991-1994.
    Betty and Marlo got drunk and she tried giving Betty a new hairdo, and used cleaning fluid instead, leaving it green.
    When they sobered up, Betty thought she was turning back into the Harpy and they figured out what happened. A couple pages later, she's blonde. Stayed that way until they went on the run after the fall of the Pantheon.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    For about three years, 1991-1994.
    Betty and Marlo got drunk and she tried giving Betty a new hairdo, and used cleaning fluid instead, leaving it green.
    When they sobered up, Betty thought she was turning back into the Harpy and they figured out what happened. A couple pages later, she's blonde. Stayed that way until they went on the run after the fall of the Pantheon.

I admit the look throws me off too.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Merged/Professor lasted from around #377-445. Basically in Onslaught Jean Grey suppressed the Banner part of the merger, and then the Banner part 'died' (Actually winded up in a pocket universe where Banner became another Savage Hulk).

This resulted eventually in the Hulk transforming into a new version who seemed to be a mix of Fixit and Savage and who seemed to have memory gaps, like he didn't recognize Betty.

Even when Banner returned from the pocket universe the Hulk didn't become merged again, but with Banner simply turning into this new version.
    Which was a lie, he knew who she was...as told in #451. As to why he did -- who the heck knows.

During the Heroes Return mini, 616 Hulk gets whisked into the Pocket Universe and is remerged with Banner (after an underwhelming fight with the Pocket Savage). They come back to 616 Earth in Hulk #460 and during a near-death experience, are reborn and the status quo is restored. No gray, no savage, no mindless. He's Bruce Banner, 5'10" and a normal human being. The Hulk is the Hulk of the early days during the early `60's. He was intelligent but brutish. The broken 3rd person talk was ditched and if he used "Hulk" in his words, it was more of a title.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I admit the look throws me off too.
    She was a sandy blonde years before that. And it didn't affect her look in the `82 cartoon. Quite the opposite, lol!

Last edited by McFarlane's Green Hulk; 01-04-2023 at 09:17 AM. Reason: stupid image

Both movie Bettys also have black hair as well.

Kind of interesting pretty much every animated and film adaptation has her as a fellow scientist as well.

Of course Betty did eventually become a Harpy again, and I think Marlo was briefly one during the Pak run.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4theEarth View Post
    I am very confused here - Help? I peeked in on this thread to see if I could re-familiarize with a title that I dropped way back after Planet Hulk and the Red Hulk appeared on the scene.

When you say retcon I am assuming that there has been a reset of the mythos around the AlterEgo that is the Hulk. It has frankly been a bit of a mess over the years with the manifestations being ascribed to either real entities or fragments of Bruce's personality made manifest.

Wikipedia's Bio is just a ramble of eras where the MU reset seemed like a reset of the character as well. Is that the retcon?
    No. The retcon is this: In Incredible Hulk#377, Peter David created the Merged Hulk, which as he intended, was meant to be the psychological combination of Bruce, the Savage Hulk and the Gray Hulk/Joe Fixit into one unified being. It’s what his whole run had been leading up to, and reminded the status quo in the book for 5 years.

After Peter David’s run ended, Paul Jenkins retconned the merged Hulk in Incredible Hulk #16, volume 3, by saying that the merger of the 3 personalities never happened, and the Hulk that saw for those 5 years was actually a separate individual created by Doc Samson, which is meant to represent Bruce’s idealized version of himself.

Peter David continues to hate this retcon because it removes all the emotional weight and pathos of the storyline that he wrote.

It’s similar to how Chris Claremont felt when Marvel weakened the impact of the Dark Phoenix saga by retconning it so that it wasn’t actually the real Jean Grey who committed the crimes, but Phoenix only posing as her, while the real Jean was cocooned at the bottom of the bay from the very beginning. All because Marvel wanted resurrect Jean and couldn’t leave a great storyline alone.

Quote Originally Posted by 4theEarth View Post
    I am very confused here - Help? I peeked in on this thread to see if I could re-familiarize with a title that I dropped way back after Planet Hulk and the Red Hulk appeared on the scene.

When you say retcon I am assuming that there has been a reset of the mythos around the AlterEgo that is the Hulk. It has frankly been a bit of a mess over the years with the manifestations being ascribed to either real entities or fragments of Bruce's personality made manifest.

Wikipedia's Bio is just a ramble of eras where the MU reset seemed like a reset of the character as well. Is that the retcon?
    If I were you I would just go read Immortal Hulk. No prep work is required, I myself returned to Hulk after being away for a while with that run and I had no trouble reading it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It was certainly a Hulk comic that came out
    One of the comics of all time

Jenkin's run is OK, kind of righted the ship a bit after John Byrne's second run. It's the run that also gave us the Devil Hulk, although the way he's characterized in Jenkin's run is different than Ewing's (Although I think Ewing had a retcon/explanation for that).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Which issues were Jenkins run?
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Jenkin's run is OK, kind of righted the ship a bit after John Byrne's second run. It's the run that also gave us the Devil Hulk, although the way he's characterized in Jenkin's run is different than Ewing's (Although I think Ewing had a retcon/explanation for that).
    Yeah.

It seems Ewing based off some of his run on Jenkins ideas.

Ewing’s execution was far better.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Which issues were Jenkins run?
    Incredible Hulk (1999 Marvel 2nd Series) #12 thru 32.
    It was collected in two trades, "Dogs of War" and "Past Perfect".

Incredible Hulk #422
    “Flight”
    Cover Date: October 1994
    Sale Date: August 16th, 1994
    Writer: Peter David
    Artist: Gary Frank
    Inker: Cam Smith
    Letterer: Joe Rosen
    Colorist: Glynis Oliver
    Editor: Bobbie Chase

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Betty Banner, Ajax, Atlanta, Agamemnon, Paris, Cassie, Achilles, Hector, Ulysses, the Warriors Three
    Antagonist: Red Norvell Thor, Siingard and his tribe of Frost Giants, Hoarfen the Wolf.
    Synopsis: The Hulk and the Norvell Thor spend the first dozen pages fighting each other, until a stalemate between the party members ends as the Warriors Three push the odds in their favor. We also see Agamemnon make his way to the land of the Frost Giants and makes his re-acquaintance with the leader of a tribe of Frost Giants named Siingard. Cut back to the Hulk and company and the standoff has ended with a make-shift camp. Words are exchanged and we get a small dose of humor when Banner asks Fandrall about where the real Thor is. Volstagg appears and lets it be known that he’s seen Agamemnon outside of Siingard’s castle. The next morning, the group arrives and demands Agamemnon. No dice and a battle ensues. Hector swoops in and grabs the youth and drops him in the Hulk’s arms. Suddenly, both of them are frozen with fear. A giant frost wolf named Hoarfen makes his appearance and mauls them to death as the issue abruptly ends.
    Commentary: Cassie comments on Hoarfen echoes my thoughts almost to a tee – there’s just some weird **** in a lot of mythology. I chuckled at the panel on page 17 where Agamemnon is describing the game of baseball to Siingard. Don’t know if it was common knowledge back then, but PAD is a baseball nut. Absolutely loves it. Unless I play it (which I haven’t since grade school), it’s a giant snooze fest. I’ve tried in recent years to give it a try, but it never fails - puts me to sleep about a half hour into a game. It’s goddamn boring. Except the 2016 World Series. Vince McMahon and Dwayne Johnson made a mistake in keeping the XFL alive. Should be an XBL. Gary Frank can really make a turd into a polished turd. His Red Norvell Thor is fantastic. The beard, the outfit, the hammer…I can get into this look over the Kirby costume. (Nothing can make me dislike the Simonson armor, though.) I was in denial about the Hulk and Aggy getting killed. To quote something his past self would say, “NOTHING can kill the Hulk!” Well…

Astonishing Member

Anyone read the new Fixit issue this week? any thoughts,