Page 37 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

So the Hulk has a voice cameo in Transformers: The Movie. Sort of.

https://twitter.com/Protoman/status/1292207351773237253
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #473
    “The Edge of Universal Pain”
    Cover Date: February 1999
    Sale Date: December 16th, 1998
    Writer: Joe Casey
    Artist: Javier Pulido
    Inker: Sean Parsons
    Letterer: John Workman
    Colorist: Marie Javins
    Editor: Matt Idelson

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Qnax, General Ross, Dr. Katherine Spar, Devlin DeAngelo, Xecu.
    Villain: The Abomination.
    Synopsis: Continuing from last issue, we see Banner and the Hulk tackling various cosmic threats in the search for the Ultimate Machine as General Ross battles the Abomination in a small Arizona town. Xecu the Watcher makes his presence known and Qnax is pleading his case that the Ultimate Machine is the key to saving his planet, Xantares. When questioned about Banner’s motives, he gets a vague answer, which prompts Xecu to use his powers to gain further insight into his psyche. In the end, Xecu offers the Ultimate Machine to Qnax just in time to see his planet get attacked. On Earth, Ross is shocked to hear the Abomination admit that he is responsible for Betty’s death.
    Commentary: Not a whole lot to add from last issue. Still not a fan of this cosmic adventure, it seems more like filler than anything.

Last edited by McFarlane's Green Hulk; 05-27-2023 at 08:02 AM. Reason: This Watcher is NOT Uatu

Astonishing Member

Is Bill Mantlo, Peter David, Greg Pak and Al Ewing are worthy to be considered the MT Rushmore of Hulk writers?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Is Bill Mantlo, Peter David, Greg Pak and Al Ewing are worthy to be considered the MT Rushmore of Hulk writers?
    Peter David and Al Ewing certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    So the Hulk has a voice cameo in Transformers: The Movie. Sort of.

https://twitter.com/Protoman/status/1292207351773237253
    Interesting factoid!

Although Casey's run is iffy the Abomination stuff does play heavily into the middle of Paul Jenkin's run and eventually Ross's transformation into Red Hulk.

Think Jenkins implied it was mostly the Professor in charge this time, or at least influencing Banner here somehow. Kind of interesting because Joe in human form also likes to grow a beard....
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-29-2023 at 09:47 AM.

Incredible Hulk #474
    “It’s All True”
    Cover Date: March 1999
    Sale Date: January 20th, 1999
    Writer: Joe Casey
    Artist: Javier Pulido
    Inker: Sean Parsons
    Letterer: John Workman
    Colorist: Marie Javins
    Editor: Matt Idelson

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Qnax, General Ross, Katherine Spar, Devlin DeAngelo, Xecu
    Villain: The Abomination
    Synopsis: We open to a short comedy piece of writer Joe Casey and editor Matt Idelson discussing his writer’s block for the final issue of the Hulk series. It shifts to Qnax and Bruce Banner ducking for cover from an alien invasion. Banner changes into the Hulk, and he takes on the invaders. Qnax is able to convince the Hulk follow him and they end up with the Watcher at the center of the world. Cut to Earth, where we see Ross and the Abomination verbally sparring seconds after he revealed it was his blood that had killed Betty. On the outskirts of the town, Katherine Spar and Devlin DeAngelo are wondering what’s happening. Cut back to Qnax and Banner. Xecu explains the true nature and power of the Ultimate Machine. Desperate to save his home world, Qnax enters it in hope of the knowledge it will bring. Banner hesitates, as he is only searching for the answers about his wife’s killer. He follows and enters the Machine. From there, he enters a dreamscape world and finds himself a child once again, hanging out with a childhood friend named Jimmy. They’re attacked by a purple colored Elmo and he transforms into a kid-Hulk. Kid-Hulk sees the gamma bomb tower and attempts to stop it and the dream suddenly ends. Banner and Qnax are still adjusting to their experience in the Ultimate Machine when the invaders have found their way to the core of the Watcher’a world. Xencu plans to send Qnax and Banner back to their respective world’s before he can attempt to fend off the invaders. They bid farewell to each other and it cuts back to Earth and New Mexico, where the Abomination is explaining on how he was able to kill Betty. Ross is in complete and utter shock, unable to process what was said to him when the Hulk suddenly appears and delivers a vicious punch to his old foe. Before he can do anything else, Ross stops him. Calling his bluff, Hulk questions what military hardware Ross has. Ross counters and asks if he wants to find out. The Abomination, craving a fight, tries to egg both on to no avail. The Hulk says he isn’t playing this game and denies him a final fight. Blonksy leaps away in frustration, leaving the Hulk and Ross in a tense showdown. He transforms back into Banner and he explains to Ross that everything was his fault. He was responsible for everything that transpired, the Abomination’s actions were a side effect of everything that happened after the gamma bomb had exploded. Banner offers Ross the chance to kill him, here and now. It catches him off guard momentarily, but because Betty loved Banner so much, he cannot do it. He orders the military units out and DeAngelo to be placed in custody. Cut to a small town diner a week later, where Dr. Spar has caught up to Banner and explained that she had quit her job at Hulkbuster Base and plans to head back to the CDC. She seems lost and confused but Banner gives her a pep-talk, and she drives away, a little more confident in the next chapter of her life. The issue and series ends with General Ross entering the secret chamber holding Betty’s body in stasis, explaining current events and motivations to her.

Commentary: I was rooting for Joe Casey at the beginning, now I couldn’t wait for him to leave. Not what I was expecting and the cosmic aspect of this storyline failed to hook me. And while we know that it’s going to get rebooted with a new number one, I’m still disappointed that there wasn’t more of a focus on his supporting cast. Rick was tied up with the Avengers Forever mini, Betty’s dead, Marlo was a loose plotline and Doc Samson just kind of faded away. A proper send off would have been cool to see. I can’t remember where I had read that John Byrne would be taking over but it had me worried. He was 0-1 on the book before and 1999 Byrne no longer drew like the 1986 Byrne. His style took a dramatic shift during the last few issues on Namor, and wasn’t a fan of anything he did after that. Heroic stances on his figures were stilted and hunched over. His Kirby infatuation with the Hulk’s appearance makes me queasy. Compare his stuff from his first run to the back up here…bleh. I tried for the final time to read through my Next Men collection before offloading it to my LCS, I could not get into his work anymore. Thankfully, he was only writing the series. BUT…I hate to say it…well, it was freaking boring!! Not a good start to a reboot…and like before, it came to an abrupt end. This was around the time Erik Larsen was writing Wolverine, wasn’t it? He did a great job on the Wolverine fight, and his writing chops had grown over the years. He could have stayed…maybe wouldn’t have gotten that damn Professor retcon. It’s all speculation and wishlist anyways.
    And so ends my synopsis posts of the Hulk’s initial series – vintage, if you will. It’s been fun to do this, as revisiting certain eras are always a treat. I initially thought I could do this with one synopsis a day and have it done in just over a year. Here we are, 5 or 6 years later. I love looking at certain issues and remembering when and where I purchased it. I can remember the little blue duffle bag that I took with me that I stuff with the bulk of the Milgrom/PAD run. I have very little left of my initial purchases, as I’ve replaced them for better condition copies over the years. (Except #340!)
    I don’t plan on going with the reboot series for numerous reasons – the boring Byrne start, the Jenkins Professor retcon and giant snake alter called “Devil Hulk”, the promising start but horribly executed Bruce Jones, etc. And personally, my life at the time wasn’t exactly what I like to remember. (Honestly, it’s like a chapter from a whacky “Days of Our Lives” or a WWE storyline.) My social life went into a bizarre turmoil, which resulted in fractured friendships, and my employment resulted in the start of many layoffs at the company I worked at (and returned to may times after). So looking at a lot of those covers leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
    I enjoyd the Bruce Jones run at first, but it really went off the rails AFTER Romita Jr. left and I was basically getting the book out of habit, not because I enjoyed it. The return of PAD was pretty lackluster and went into more WTF retcons (now he’s breathing underwater, and the Hulk was present in his mind in high school??????? Didn’t we just laugh at the annual that had the Skrulls tied to his origin a couple years back?) At this point, those involved with the drama in my life were gone, I met my wife, got a house, had kids. While the constant has been comics, the anchor isn’t always the Hulk anymore. I dropped the book for the first time with Loeb’s run, and Waid lost me after six issues. Constant reboots don’t help. And I’ve been selling a lot stuff aka “habit” pulls – not just for space constraints, but the fact that I’ve read them once or never read them at all. I can willingly go back and ready Len Wein/Sal Buscema/Ernie Chan issues, I don’t willingly go back and read Jason Aaron’s stuff.
    If anyone wants to continue with the next volume, I’d love to see his or her thoughts and commentary. If not, I’ll be going back to the old faithful of searching for vintage/classic unknown artwork…

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Rafa Sandoval

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Sgt. Banner and his Gamma Grunts! LOL!

Kind of reminds me of #390's cover a bit.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    All they give him is a gun and helmet, lol

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    I'd imagine Planet Hulk could have turned out a lot different if Quesada had envisioned something like this instead of gladiator attire.

As an aside I found this article while looking for a Buddhist Hulk..

https://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=bu...YZgKlD-YvZMVxd

Will the Hulk Save Buddhism?

APRIL 3, 2017

Jim McMahon

What’s this superhero doing outside a Buddhist temple near Bangkok, Thailand? It’s all about marketing. About 95 percent of Thais identify as Buddhist, but that stat may be misleading. As Thailand’s economy has boomed in recent decades, many young Thais have shown more interest in Western imports like iPhones and shopping malls than in the principles of Buddhism—a 2,500-year-old religion that began in India and warns against the pursuit of material wealth. So monks at the Wat Tam Ru temple are trying to attract a new generation to the faith: They’ve installed 10-foot-tall superhero figures—like the Hulk, at left—and so far, it’s working. Surin, a monk at Wat Tam Ru, says teens rarely visited before. Now, he told the EFE News Agency, they come to take selfies with the superheroes “and while they are here, they also pop in to pray.”

Roger Stern and Terry Austin provided these pin-ups in the final set of issues of the Hulk reprint series Marvel Super Heroes.
    The previous image by Trimpe did too, but his were more in line of what if than these light-hearted ones.