Page 47 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Default DNA Deviation...

"Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Default A Necessary Variant...Abnormal DNA...

Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 07-10-2023 at 07:28 AM.
    "Only the Hulk could have attempted it! Only the Hulk could have been capable of it! Only the Hulk could have done it!" - Tales to Astonish #63

"Hulk can do ANYTHING!!! Hulk is mind over matter, mind over energy, mind over mind" - Lord Smash'emall aka Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Gamma Irradiated Being

Default Two Incredible Hulk Television Show Opening Narrations...

"Opening narration

The opening narration is provided by Ted Cassidy:

Dr. David Banner—physician, scientist—searching for a way to tap into the hidden strengths that all humans have. Then an accidental overdose of gamma radiation alters his body chemistry. And now, when David Banner grows angry or outraged, a startling metamorphosis occurs. The creature is driven by rage and pursued by an investigative reporter.
    [Banner]: "Mr. McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."
    The creature is wanted for a murder he didn't commit. David Banner is believed to be dead. And he must let the world think that he is dead, until he can find a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within him.

Prior to the beginning of the series, a different version (also provided by Cassidy) was used for the second pilot movie, The Return of the Incredible Hulk (later re-titled "Death in the Family"):

Dr. David Banner—physician, scientist—searching for a way to tap into the hidden strengths that all humans have. Then an accidental overdose of gamma radiation interacts with his unique body chemistry. And now, when David Banner grows angry or outraged, a startling metamorphosis occurs. The creature is driven by rage and pursued by an investigative reporter.
    [Banner]: "Mr. McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."
    An accidental explosion took the life of a fellow scientist—and supposedly David Banner as well. The reporter thinks the creature was responsible.
    [McGee]: "I gave a description to all the law enforcement agencies. They got a warrant for murder out on it!"
    A murder which David Banner can never prove he or the creature didn't commit. So he must let the world go on thinking that he, too, is dead, until he can find a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within him."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...978_TV_series)

Another note about Peter David's Maestro, while I love the original idea of the character it's hard for me to accept that that is Hulk's ultimate end. Every time I watch Bill Bixby playing Banner on the television show, I translate that to my ideal vision of who and what Bruce Banner is and can't ever see him turning down the wrong road completely. I was expecting a redemption story.

Default Gamma Rays "Ionize" "Brain" Tissue...

ionize (something)
    - to change something or be changed into ions

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...english/ionize

ion
    - ​an atom or a molecule with a positive or negative electric charge caused by its losing or gaining one or more electrons

I posted this on another board some time ago...

From Wikipedia...

"Ionizing radiation

Ionizing radiation (or ionising radiation), including nuclear radiation, consists of subatomic particles or electromagnetic waves that have sufficient energy to ionize atoms or molecules by detaching electrons from them.[1] Some particles can travel up to 99% of the speed of light, and the electromagnetic waves are on the high-energy portion of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Gamma rays, X-rays, and the higher energy ultraviolet part of the electromagnetic spectrum are ionizing radiation, whereas the lower energy ultraviolet, visible light, nearly all types of laser light, infrared, microwaves, and radio waves are non-ionizing radiation. The boundary between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation in the ultraviolet area is not sharply defined, as different molecules and atoms ionize at different energies. The energy of ionizing radiation starts between 10 electronvolts (eV) and 33 eV.

Typical ionizing subatomic particles include alpha particles, beta particles, and neutrons. These are typically created by radioactive decay, and almost all are energetic enough to ionize. There are also secondary cosmic particles produced after cosmic rays interact with Earth's atmosphere, including muons, mesons, and positrons.[2][3] Cosmic rays may also produce radioisotopes on Earth (for example, carbon-14), which in turn decay and emit ionizing radiation. Cosmic rays and the decay of radioactive isotopes are the primary sources of natural ionizing radiation on Earth, contributing to background radiation. Ionizing radiation is also generated artificially by X-ray tubes, particle accelerators, and nuclear fission.

Ionizing radiation is not immediately detectable by human senses, so instruments such as Geiger counters are used to detect and measure it. However, very high energy particles can produce visible effects on both organic and inorganic matter (e.g. water lighting in Cherenkov radiation) or humans (e.g. acute radiation syndrome).[4]

Ionizing radiation is used in a wide variety of fields such as medicine, nuclear power, research, and industrial manufacturing, but presents a health hazard if proper measures against excessive exposure are not taken. Exposure to ionizing radiation causes cell damage to living tissue and organ damage. In high acute doses, it will result in radiation burns and radiation sickness, and lower level doses over a protracted time can cause cancer.[5][6] The International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP) issues guidance on ionizing radiation protection, and the effects of dose uptake on human health."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionizing_radiation

Ride the wave...the Gamma wave...

"Ask Ethan: Can Gamma-Ray Jets Really Travel Faster Than The Speed Of Light?

What the new study is referring to is the fact that we have many different types of high-energy astrophysical phenomena that all appear to have the same general setup: extremely high-energy photons wind up getting emitted from a violent event in space in a matter-rich environment. This applies to long/intermediate gamma-ray bursts, short-period gamma-ray bursts, and X-ray flares as well.What the researchers did was introduce a new, simple model that would explain the bizarre properties seen in pulsing gamma-ray bursts. They model the gamma-ray emissions as originating from a jet of fast-moving particles, which is consistent with what we know. But they then introduce a fast-moving impactor wave that runs into this expanding jet, and as the density (and other properties) of the medium changes, that wave then accelerates from moving slower-than-light to moving faster-than-light in that medium."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw...h=7c277eba2578
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 07-10-2023 at 01:21 PM.

Default Gamma Rays Both Psychic and Psionic In Its Nature...

psionic
    - parapsychological term psi using, affected by, or possessing psychic abilities (such as telepathy, precognition, etc.). 1951 J. Williamson

https://www.oxfordreference.com/disp...MKjFv&result=1

psionics
    - Relating to or denoting the practical use of psychic powers or paranormal phenomena

https://fraze.it/sentences_using_psionic

psychic
    - of or relating to the human soul or mind; mental.
    - Psychology. pertaining to or noting mental phenomena.
    - outside of natural or scientific knowledge; spiritual.
    - of or relating to some apparently nonphysical force or agency: psychic research; psychic phenomena.
    - sensitive to influences or forces of a nonphysical or supernatural nature.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/psychic

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    Another note about Peter David's Maestro, while I love the original idea of the character it's hard for me to accept that that is Hulk's ultimate end. Every time I watch Bill Bixby playing Banner on the television show, I translate that to my ideal vision of who and what Bruce Banner is and can't ever see him turning down the wrong road completely. I was expecting a redemption story.
    Maestro was never intended as Hulk's ultimate end, but he's certainly meant as a more than possible one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Maestro was never intended as Hulk's ultimate end, but he's certainly meant as a more than possible one.
    I agree. While I agree that there is no definitive end for any character, Maestro was already in the future. He was the Merged Hulk that went down an evil path and seemingly had no redemptive qualities. Peter David imagined Bruce's evil father as the template for the mind of his Merged Hulk whom became known as Maestro.

I like the Maestro as a villain, but his last two mini's, as well as his appearance in the Old Man Logan solo from a few years ago were very lack-luster. I did like the way Hickman and others wrote him during the whole Secret Wars storyline.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I like the Maestro as a villain, but his last two mini's, as well as his appearance in the Old Man Logan solo from a few years ago were very lack-luster. I did like the way Hickman and others wrote him during the whole Secret Wars storyline.
    I don't mind an alternate reality Hulk i.e. Maestro, being a villain, however I was just hoping that Peter David had bigger plans for him than the ones we got. I prefer my Hulk heroically indifferent.

I hated all those Old Man Logan stories as none of them played on Hulk's/Maestro's strengths. He, his family and indeed gamma creatures were all mocked and reduced to cannibalistic clowns. This insane writer and editorial joke made it into Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk run which completely destroyed any joy I had reading it. The Hulk up until Al Ewing's run would smash a cannibal for being foolish. Too be honest, I'm a little fretful that it's still there in the new Incredible Hulk run. I don't trust PKJ or Wil Moss but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I've never read Jonathan Hickman's Secret Wars story completely, only the Warzones Future Imperfect tie in. Could you brief me a little on how the Hulk was portrayed.
    Last edited by Gamma Irradiated Being; 07-10-2023 at 04:16 PM.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, PAD's Maestro mini was underwhelming, and in a lot of ways went against the original story. Shame, that.

Kind of wonder if PKJ will do the Maestro tease like Duggan and Ewing did (Although I think the Ewing note was just kind of a bit tongue in cheek, and his own take on a future Hulk was far more terrfying; while Duggan's was more direct).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Come to think of it, that Old Man Logan was kinda odd, when you run through the logic.

Puck: Hey, Logan, we found Maestro who's taken over a small village and running it like a fiefdom. But instead of calling the Avengers, why don't you settle it with a grudge match?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Irradiated Being View Post
    I don't mind an alternate reality Hulk i.e. Maestro, being a villain, however I was just hoping that Peter David had bigger plans for him than the ones we got. I prefer my Hulk heroically indifferent.

I hated all those Old Man Logan stories as none of them played on Hulk's/Maestro's strengths. He, his family and indeed gamma creatures were all mocked and reduced to cannibalistic clowns. This insane writer and editorial joke made it into Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk run which completely destroyed any joy I had reading it. The Hulk up until Al Ewing's run would smash a cannibal for being foolish. Too be honest, I'm a little fretful that it's still there in the new Incredible Hulk run. I don't trust PKJ or Wil Moss but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I've never read Jonathan Hickman's Secret Wars story completely, only the Warzones Future Imperfect tie in. Could you brief me a little on how the Hulk was portrayed.
    "heroically indifferent" is an interesting way to describe Hulk and I can definitely appreciate it. Those OML stories with Maestro and the Hulk Gang left a lot to be desired.

In regards to Maestro in Secret Wars, he really doesn't have too many lines/panels. But it is made clear that he is power-hungry and not really afraid of Doom.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

"heroically indifferent" is an interesting way to describe Hulk and I can definitely appreciate it. Those OML stories with Maestro and the Hulk Gang left a lot to be desired.

In regards to Maestro in Secret Wars, he really doesn't have too many lines/panels. But it is made clear that he is power-hungry and not really afraid of Doom.
    Thanks. I can't remember where it started, but Hulk destined to be a ruler was a character trope that may have started with Maestro's first appearance. Many subsequent writers added to this ongoing theme.