Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    The Discord is basically a private forum (invitation only) with somewhat tighter moderation than an open forum. It's a smallish group and not always super active, but a pretty nice group of dedicated Romy fans with several fanfic writers and/or readers and a couple fan artists including the tiny cohort planning and running Rogue and Gambit fanworks week and also most of the group planning the Fanzine. I can PM you an invitation link if you want. It's very low pressure! LOL
    Maybe. I would like to join a Discord before they fall out of popularity or use for sure, but I will have to give it some thought first though(i.e. agonize a whole lot before deciding, lol). I am really shy and pretty awkward honestly. Thanks by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    Maybe. I would like to join a Discord before they fall out of popularity or use for sure, but I will have to give it some thought first though(i.e. agonize a whole lot before deciding, lol). I am really shy and pretty awkward honestly. Thanks by the way!
    Haha! I understand that completely. IRL I'm pretty shy myself. Well the offer is always open.

I'm just glad we have more books and more positive things to talk about lately! The last couple years were getting rough.

Hey podcast fans, there's a pretty nice interview with Kelly Thompson on WMQ&A (https://twitter.com/wmqcomics/status...XJ-HJ9OMw&s=19).

It's mainly a discussion about her new creator owned comic, Black Cloak, which is coming to print next week with Image comics (I have a head start and definitely recommend!)

Buuuttttt ... there's also a nice section in the back 3rd of the interview about the recent Captain Marvel arc and a lot of Gambit and Rogue mentions in there. And you guys, Kelly agrees with those of us who think Irene should be on Team Gambit!

I’m just loving KT more ever day!

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Buuuttttt ... there's also a nice section in the back 3rd of the interview about the recent Captain Marvel arc and a lot of Gambit and Rogue mentions in there. And you guys, Kelly agrees with those of us who think Irene should be on Team Gambit!
    Let KT have another R&G/X-Book already! Make it a digital exclusive. I don't care. Just take my money
    Make Good Art

Hey podcast fans, there's a pretty nice interview with Kelly Thompson on WMQ&A (https://twitter.com/wmqcomics/status...XJ-HJ9OMw&s=19).

It's mainly a discussion about her new creator owned comic, Black Cloak, which is coming to print next week with Image comics (I have a head start and definitely recommend!)

It would have made for a fresher dynamic. I’d say: ‘maybe Gambit will win her over.’ But the onus shouldn’t be on Gambit to convince Irene of his worthiness. Irene can dislike her son-in-law all she wants, but the real issue here is her praising Rogue as being a strong, independent woman in one breath and then the next having absolute disrespect for the two major independent choices Rogue has made in her life: to be an X-Man and to get married. Sounds like an Irene-Rogue problem and not a Gambit problem. I hope she is just having a temporary brain fart post-resurrection and returns to being a supportive and empathic mom.

But who am I kidding, it’s funnier to just make Gambit the butt of every bad in-law joke.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    It would have made for a fresher dynamic. I’d say: ‘maybe Gambit will win her over.’ But the onus shouldn’t be on Gambit to convince Irene of his worthiness. Irene can dislike her son-in-law all she wants, but the real issue here is her praising Rogue as being a strong, independent woman in one breath and then the next having absolute disrespect for the two major independent choices Rogue has made in her life: to be an X-Man and to get married. Sounds like an Irene-Rogue problem and not a Gambit problem. I hope she is just having a temporary brain fart post-resurrection and returns to being a supportive and empathic mom.

But who am I kidding, it’s funnier to just make Gambit the butt of every bad in-law joke.
    Right?! I'm not sure it was totally thought through.

What Kelly says is that she doesn't believe that someone who can see possible futures like Irene would believe that Gambit is bad for Rogue. And I agree 100%. On a personal level of happiness and wellness, Gambit is very good for Rogue in terms of emotional support and keeping her grounded. I think they are both better together. He brings out the fun in her. She helps him stay focused.

But that got me to thinking that perhaps the true issue is that while Destiny might love Rogue, what she wants for Rogue probably has less to do with her happiness and more to do with how important and instrumental she is in the mutant story and how much involvement she has in fighting for mutant freedom and how much influence Irene and Raven have on her in that respect. She wants Rogue to have power and prestige and be a central player. But when Rogue is with Remy, he interferes in how much they and others can influence her in that respect and he himself is less focused on the greater mutant cause or attaining a pivotal spotlight or power in that world.

Remy isn't Magneto. For him the mutant cause is important, but secondary. He puts family and happiness ahead of the cause. He isn't about being a revolutionary leader who goes down in infamy. He likes humans just fine so long as they are generally mutant allies. He likes freedom and adventure too much to claim a huge leadership position unless it's the only way to save his loved ones. He was even reluctant in taking over the Guild leadership. He doesn't have lofty goals for world domination. A small team and focused missions suit him better.

Anyway ... I am VERY interested to see if Phillips is up to capturing any of this kind of nuance in the miniseries. Or will it just be a lighthearted romp lacking much depth? We shall see.

On another note, y'all need to go read the Karma Love Unlimited issue that had Rogue in it today so we can discuss!

Some great Romy references. I love that they are now the IT couple for healthy committed relationships which are still full of fun and zest (and kink).
    Last edited by AppleJ; 01-12-2023 at 08:50 AM.

I haven't read the Karma comic but I have seen some scans and it looks great. This is the kind of thing that keeps me coming back to how interesting it would be if Rogue and Gambit were put in a position of being role models for younger mutants (either as parents or teachers). They've been through so much crap that they could probably effectively help a lot of kids who are going through similar things
    Make Good Art

We’ve come a long way from “But Remy! Mah powers!” to “Im’a just borrow your power-set to do sex stuff to my husband, thx!”

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    I haven't read the Karma comic but I have seen some scans and it looks great. This is the kind of thing that keeps me coming back to how interesting it would be if Rogue and Gambit were put in a position of being role models for younger mutants (either as parents or teachers). They've been through so much crap that they could probably effectively help a lot of kids who are going through similar things
    SAME, friend. SAME. I want it so bad now! I want them each to have their own team of mentees. I want them to help them with their powers and problems with their families and their relationship woes and teach them how to pick locks or throw a punch or learn H2H or how to cook. Then I want them to come home and compare notes and then agree to leave work at work and knock boots to their heart's content. They could be like the house parents for a dormitory of kids on Krakoa that are orphaned or maybe it's a boarding school situation? Or like ... summer camp? I don't care, somebody write it! LOL Like ... I would have Gimmick, Mannon and Maxime, Gabby for sure ... so many possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    We’ve come a long way from “But Remy! Mah powers!” to “Im’a just borrow your power-set to do sex stuff to my husband, thx!”
    Seriously, yes. LOL I love it! Rogue has come a long way, baby. Like yeah, she was kind of overly dramatic for a long time. I mean, she did do some major harm with her powers, so I get it. But I like this mature Rogue. It's funny, when I look at my own life I can think of examples of things I used to think were SUCH a big deal and couldn't see any way around them, but with maturity comes wisdom and the ability to be less idealistic and more open-minded.

I am cackling thinking of the possibilities of a summer camp with them as camp counselors I could see Rogue being more no-nonsense while Gambit is actively helping the kids with some classic hijinks
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Karma is older than Rogue though but I fully agree

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Karma is older than Rogue though but I fully agree
    Hmmmm, but Karma is in the same class as the other New Mutants like Illyana, Kitty, Sam, Roberto, etc and it's canon that they are younger than Rogue and Bobby, but older than GenX like Jubilee ... soooooo ... ?

I mean, they're definitely "adults" ... maybe early-20s?

Of course then we'd have to acknowledge that Rogue and Gambit are late 20s-mid30s, making Scott and Jean even older! GASP!

Anyway, ummm ... you all need to see what Art of Lucas is auctioning off: https://twitter.com/artoflucas/statu...VQUdJcpKg&s=19

Bring a fan! Maybe a glass of water!
    Last edited by AppleJ; 01-13-2023 at 10:35 AM.

Hmmmm, but Karma is in the same class as the other New Mutants like Illyana, Kitty, Sam, Roberto, etc and it's canon they they are younger than Rogue and Bobby, but older than GenX like Jubilee ... soooooo ...

Anyway, ummm ... you all need to see what Art of Lucas is auctioning off https://twitter.com/artoflucas/statu...VQUdJcpKg&s=19

Bring a fan!
    She was eighteen when she first appeared in New Mutants

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    She was eighteen when she first appeared in New Mutants
    Interesting. Hmmm, dunno then. It seems like she's been written and drawn a lot younger over the years. Maybe she just ages well? Marvel is not good about these things. I mean, continuity in general has been mishandled pretty egregiously in many cases so ... *shrugs*

I still headcannon Rogue as 28-32 and Gambit as 30-34 at this point and yes that means I think Scott and Jean are 35-42 LOL.

Too bad no one is allowed to age.