Page 50 of 77 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wlfking View Post
    Someone was saying something about Dani not being likely to go along with Cable leading X-Force some pages back. Which is making me wonder, what are Dani's views on the use of lethal force? How about revenge? It was her goal to kill the the guy who killed Black Eagle. Think she might still view eye for an eye as correct under the right circumstances?

When we first met Dani back in Marvel Graphic Novel #4, she had... anger issues. She lived in isolation because she couldn't control her powers, she was emotionally volatile, mistrustful, and prone to outbursts. When Pearce's goons killed her grandfather, she only agreed to help Xavier so she could plunge her knife into Donald's back and get revenge. But by the end of the graphic novel, she was more concerned with her new friend [Rahne] getting injured, and opted to take care of her during the final battle in lieu of going after Pearce. And then she opted to stay at Xavier's school to learn to control her powers, which was her grandfather's wish, instead of worrying about avenging him. So it showed some personal growth.

Throughout her run in Volume 1 and subsequent volumes, Dani remained headstrong and unafraid to challenge authority. If there was something that she perceived as being unethical or wrong, she would confront it directly. She also became first the de facto team leader, and later on the actual, designated team leader. So no surprise -- she was the one willing to take the lead and make a principled stand when she saw something she didn't like. She continues to do that today [see: Bishop's War College #1]. So it is unlikely that she would go along with Cable's more violent tactics and blindly follow his lead -- just not her character to be a "good soldier."

I personally don't think that Dani has an anti-killing rule. She may prefer non-lethal, but I think she wouldn't hesitate to put a threat down if she had to. I don't think that she's driven by rage anymore, like she was when we first encountered her as a volatile teenaged rebel back in MGN #4 -- if anything, she's pretty level headed now -- which is what you'd expect from a leader.

But she wouldn't hesitate to put her foot up someone's @$$ when she deems it necessary, which is why I have difficulty seeing her fit onto that iteration of Cable's team, with those teammates, and their lack of qualms about violence. Especially back then. She stood up to Professor X early on, and Magneto when she disapproved of his methods after he took over. Doubt that she'd see eye to eye with Cable.
    Last edited by rf2044; 06-29-2023 at 04:35 AM.

Interesting article about some of the major themes in New Mutants Volume 1, after Claremont stepped away.

Looking back, lots of figural plots across that era / timeframe:

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/06/28/ne...n-wars-review/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    When we first met Dani back in Marvel Graphic Novel #4, she had... anger issues. She lived in isolation because she couldn't control her powers, she was emotionally volatile, mistrustful, and prone to outbursts. When Pearce's goons killed her grandfather, she only agreed to help Xavier so she could plunge her knife into Donald's back and get revenge. But by the end of the graphic novel, she was more concerned with her new friend [Rahne] getting injured, and opted to take care of her during the final battle in lieu of going after Pearce. And then she opted to stay at Xavier's school to learn to control her powers, which was her grandfather's wish, instead of worrying about avenging him. So it showed some personal growth.

Throughout her run in Volume 1 and subsequent volumes, Dani remained headstrong and unafraid to challenge authority. If there was something that she perceived as being unethical or wrong, she would confront it directly. She also became first the de facto team leader, and later on the actual, designated team leader. So no surprise -- she was the one willing to take the lead and make a principled stand when she saw something she didn't like. She continues to do that today [see: Bishop's War College #1]. So it is unlikely that she would go along with Cable's more violent tactics and blindly follow his lead -- just not her character to be a "good soldier."

I personally don't think that Dani has an anti-killing rule. She may prefer non-lethal, but I think she wouldn't hesitate to put a threat down if she had to. I don't think that she's driven by rage anymore, like she was when we first encountered her as a volatile teenaged rebel back in MGN #4 -- if anything, she's pretty level headed now -- which is what you'd expect from a leader.

But she wouldn't hesitate to put her foot up someone's @$$ when she deems it necessary, which is why I have difficulty seeing her fit onto that iteration of Cable's team, with those teammates, and their lack of qualms about violence. Especially back then. She stood up to Professor X early on, and Magneto when she disapproved of his methods after he took over. Doubt that she'd see eye to eye with Cable.
    Actually she wouldn't have that much of a problem with Cable that whole deal was really a bunch of nonsense given her coming with terms with being a valkyrie and dealing with demons and such.

Interesting article about some of the major themes in New Mutants Volume 1, after Claremont stepped away.

Looking back, lots of figural plots across that era / timeframe:

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/06/28/ne...n-wars-review/
    It did get out there a bit didn't it? I don't think I noticed it as much when I first read it.

Looking forward to new New Mutants stories when that Magneto book drops. I kinda would have liked more of them on their own after they left the school when Magneto was in charge.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Actually she wouldn't have that much of a problem with Cable that whole deal was really a bunch of nonsense given her coming with terms with being a valkyrie and dealing with demons and such.
    Don't see it that way [surprise, surprise -- you and I not on the same page]. Saw a similar situation play out when she opted to leave X-Force, due to disagreements with Pete Wisdom's methods.

We'll never know since she was already gone by the time Cable assumed the reins, but I think the evidence clearly suggests that Dani wouldn't be down with the methods of Cable and his crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVDnLagLjd0

Seems like she's pretty good.
    I love fighting games but I've never played one on mobile.

Edit: Why did Marvel vs Capcom Infinite have to crash and burn? I could be still making wish-lists about characters I wanted that would never get added. Technically I guess I still can. *snort*
    Last edited by wlfking; 06-30-2023 at 10:49 PM.
    ~*Earthbound.

Quote Originally Posted by wlfking View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVDnLagLjd0

Seems like she's pretty good.
    I love fighting games but I've never played one on mobile.

Edit: Why did Marvel vs Capcom Infinite have to crash and burn? I could be still making wish-lists about characters I wanted that would never get added. Technically I guess I still can. *snort*

A little more analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ODNyj0FhsE

And an even more detailed breakdown of her abilities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivW60PIb-UY

I'm trying to avoid those videos about Marvel Champions. I don't want to get caught up in video games again.

Theory: Dani wore the mask when she was in the MLF not to hide her identity, but to hide her expressions. It had to be easier to act like a bad guy when she don't need to school her expression.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    I'm trying to avoid those videos about Marvel Champions. I don't want to get caught up in video games again.

Theory: Dani wore the mask when she was in the MLF not to hide her identity, but to hide her expressions. It had to be easier to act like a bad guy when she don't need to school her expression.
    I like this idea. Not sure how long into she was going with the "secret" identity bit but in Excalibur(1988) issue 104 she just up and takes the mask off when she talks with Moira over a video com. Still bummed Rahne just happened to be out of the country during that that story. lol.
    ~*Earthbound.

I haven't read that issue in sooo long.

I don't think Dani was trying to keep her identity secret. She was going by "Moonstar", after all.

There is a cool pic on twitter of Dani and Magik.
    I'm still trying to understand twitter. I find it incredibly confusing despite being an internet regular since 2001.
    https://twitter.com/steppingdisks/st...721153/photo/4
    Is this old?
    part of this set.
    https://twitter.com/steppingdisks/st...92976156721153
    Edit: Oh. both links are the same I guess. I'm asking about the one on the lower right.
    ~*Earthbound.

That's from the All New X-Men Annual #1, I believe. Dani had a good solo backup story. It was during the X-Men vs Inhumans era, and Dani was using her death sense to find people dying from whatever they called the Terrigen Mists illness.

hunting buddies!

20230705_144137.jpg

I got this from twitter. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it on there again to credit the artist.
    ~*Earthbound.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    That's from the All New X-Men Annual #1, I believe. Dani had a good solo backup story. It was during the X-Men vs Inhumans era, and Dani was using her death sense to find people dying from whatever they called the Terrigen Mists illness.
    oooo! I seem to have completely missed that! (though there is still tons of stuff I haven't read) I didn't even know these two interacted much after Illyana stopped appearing with the team in the 2009 New Mutants run until the Krakoa era started.
    ~*Earthbound.