Page 24 of 77 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    What's really interesting to me is this hodge-podge of characters. Obviously, Magik and Dani have been connected for a long time through their association with the New Mutants. And it isn't a stretch to envision how they might be good candidates for an Asgard-related adventure, given their backgrounds.

But the others -- I can't really see any connective thread. I know Dust was part of the Young X-Men run -- she was also tied to Dani in Moonstar Cadre, during Age of X [which was a Legion-induced alternate reality].

But Marrow?

Curse?

Typhoid Mary? I know she's more of a Daredevil character, married to Wilson Fisk, etc.
    The team is definetly an odd construct, though that seems to be by the standard of the current state of things in the X-office.

Since it seems all characters were just thrown into a metaphorical pot from which the writers can grab anyone they want or are ordered to use without need for explanation of continuity between the characters previous and next appearance.

Furtheremore it seems the writers are allowed to make everyone suddently good friends, because they encountered and interacted with each other in off pannel moments.

There are basicly 3 layers of seperation in this team. Typhoid Mary and Curse are seperated from the other 4. These 4 in turn are on the same layer as sort of the "core" of the team, having all been "proper" members of X-teams in the past, but then Marrow is cut off from the other 3 because she has no remarkable on pannel relations or past interactions with them.

She is also an odd choice to be send into a world of mythology, folklore and magic, because she basicly grew up in a Plato's cave scenario.

But it is going to be interesting to see how and why this group gets pulled together, how they end up in Vanaheim.
    It would be amusing if they are pulled there directly from the Gala and spend the first issue scattered while wearing their likely impractical outfits.

Though that would make Curse difficult to explain, unless she had been there allready. Her soul somehow having ended up in Helheim for example.

Who knows. Maybe she is revealed to have cursed herself and came back from the dead as draugr?

Also -- does anyone know how many issues this is going to be?
    It seems they want to release it as ongoing. But given the team is a hard sell, the enthusiam of the collectors in the krakoa era has faded and the general longlivity of most titles. It will likely only last between 6 to 12 issues. Though positive suprises are possibe.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-10-2023 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It would be amusing if they are pulled there directly from the Gala and spend the first issue scattered while wearing their likely impractical outfits.

Though that would make Curse difficult to explain, unless she had been there allready. Her soul somehow having ended up in Helheim for example.

Who knows. Maybe she is revealed to have cursed herself and came back from the dead as draugr?
    Them running around in Gala outfits would be funny. I could definitely see Curse sneaking into the Gala and getting caught up in the madness.

It seems they want to release it as ongoing. But given the team is a hard sell, the enthusiam of the collectors in the krakoa era has faded and the general longlivity of most titles. It will likely only last between 6 to 12 issues. Though positive suprises are possibe.
    From the Astonishing Iceman thread it looks like it's going to run 4 issues.

Re-reading the plot synopsis you posted the other day, they also suggest that Illyana's powers are malfunctioning, so maybe the group gets teleported there inadvertently / by accident.
    Im thinking it may be a side effect of her giving up Limbo considering how intimately tied her powers were to that. My theory is that over time its been growing weaker to the point where she cant control it like she used to

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Im thinking it may be a side effect of her giving up Limbo considering how intimately tied her powers were to that. My theory is that over time its been growing weaker to the point where she cant control it like she used to
    That would make a lot of sense -- and introduce an element of chaos / randomness / danger to Illyana's use of her powers.

Incredible Member

The team is definetly an odd construct, though that seems to be by the standard of the current state of things in the X-office.

Since it seems all characters were just thrown into a metaphorical pot from which the writers can grab anyone they want or are ordered to use without need for explanation of continuity between the characters previous and next appearance.

Furtheremore it seems the writers are allowed to make everyone suddently good friends, because they encountered and interacted with each other in off pannel moments.

There are basicly 3 layers of seperation in this team. Typhoid Mary and Curse are seperated from the other 4. These 4 in turn are on the same layer as sort of the "core" of the team, having all been "proper" members of X-teams in the past, but then Marrow is cut off from the other 3 because she has no remarkable on pannel relations or past interactions with them.

She is also an odd choice to be send into a world of mythology, folklore and magic, because she basicly grew up in a Plato's cave scenario.

What makes it such a hard sell? It makes a hell of a lot more sense than than Anders bullshit.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 04-12-2023 at 09:37 AM.

I don't understand why the characters in a book need to have a deep and storied history to be allowed to co-star in a book together? It seems like you have decided that this team will make no sense and rely on made-up history between the characters without reading the circumstances that bring them together.

Yeah, they don't need to be friends to work together. They may have just been at the right place at the right (or wrong) time or maybe their skill-sets are needed for a specific mission.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    What makes it such a hard sell? It makes a hell of a lot more sense than than Anders bullshit.
    Beside Dani and Magik the rest of the team aren't really what one might consider "sellers", either because of having a bad reputation, not having a lot of star power or not being associated with the X-men.

That plus the mentioned apparent market situation, makes me consider them a "hard sell", at least for the main characters in a stand alone mini series (since that what it seems to be now).

If there was a strong and healthy ongoing featuring Dani and Magik and this could simply be a story arc in which they have to deal with a situation while relying on this ad-hoc sounding team composition might be a lot safer.
    Like when Jean Grey formed a random team in Eve of Destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I don't understand why the characters in a book need to have a deep and storied history to be allowed to co-star in a book together?
    I would argue that when a writer assembles, what seems to be an almost entirely random team of characters, for a brand new title (and a stand alone mini series on top of that), it's generaly more helpfull if these characters require as little introduction time as possible, while also having very understandable relations and motivations for why they work or are placed together.

Because even longtime readers often don't know or care about every c-lister or outside character even if they all exist within the same franchise. So the reader actively needs to be sold and introduced to them as quickly but also properly as possible.

In this regard it's very benficial to have these characters interconnected via past interactions and history so they can get straight into the beat the story needs them to have to resolve the first (or only) plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Yeah, they don't need to be friends to work together. They may have just been at the right place at the right (or wrong) time or maybe their skill-sets are needed for a specific mission.
    In the end it depends on how satisfying the overall story is to read and how well the writer manages to introduce the characters to the reader.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-12-2023 at 04:42 PM.

Cool summary article about Realm of X, covering many of the topics we've been discussing since the series got announced. Also mentioned "Realm of X's Team is Complicated and Surprising."

https://screenrant.com/xmen-realm-x-...letter_popup=1

Screenshot 2023-04-13 131231.jpg

Good article and I'm all in for "complicated". I think they're wrong about Loki, though. The villain is more likely to be the Enchantress if she's available.

Do you guys think this is going to be a quest or a war story? Torunn Grønbekk mentioned a civil war...

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Good article and I'm all in for "complicated". I think they're wrong about Loki, though. The villain is more likely to be the Enchantress if she's available.

Do you guys think this is going to be a quest or a war story? Torunn Grønbekk mentioned a civil war...

Why not BOTH?

After all, Magik [war captain], Dani [war chief / leader in the field], Marrow, and Typhoid Mary all all built for battle. And I assume that Curse will be there to mess everything up and wreak havoc.

Astonishing Member

Cool summary article about Realm of X, covering many of the topics we've been discussing since the series got announced. Also mentioned "Realm of X's Team is Complicated and Surprising"
    Let's hope the writer gets the reader sold on it in just 4 issues.

Why not BOTH?

After all, Magik [war captain], Dani [war chief / leader in the field], Marrow, and Typhoid Mary all all built for battle. And I assume that Curse will be there to mess everything up and wreak havoc.
    That's a good point. Magik (soul sword), Marrow (creative arsenal) and Mary (short sword/knives) all have a melee combat focus but can also fight on range and while Dani is generaly presented with bow and arrow as her go to weapons, she can handle herself well in melee aswell. So a strong setup for martial interactions. The only pure "caster" (using matter/energy manipulating super powers as primary way of fighting) is Dust.

I'll exclude Curse because it doesn't seem like she will be an active member as much as a problematic hanger on.

Why not BOTH?

Point. I'm more interested in war stories than quests at the moment (just finished rereading War of the Realms: X-men and reading Annihilation), so I hope your right.

Let's hope the writer gets the reader sold on it in just 4 issues.

[Snip]

I'll exclude Curse because it doesn't seem like she will be an active member as much as a problematic hanger on.
    With only four issues, I'm pretty sure this is a contained mini. Hopefully, they've already got plans for Dani after this is over that don't involve teaching.

And, yeah, Curse is bound to be a problem. I suspect she going to be an annoying one, but maybe not.

On an unrelated note, here is an article previewing New Mutants: Lethal Legion #2:

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/pr...thal-legion-2/

Looks like Escapade and Cerebella are going to try out for a super-villain team intending to rob them, setting the wheels in motion for Dani, Karma, etc. having to come to their rescue.

I recognize Unicorn from that panel in the preview. Not sure about some of the others.

Yeah, still a hard pass unless the reviews are really good. Thank goodness we have something to look forward to on August. And maybe she'll be at the Gala in July. Hopefully, in a better outfit than last time.