Page 56 of 77 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    I wonder if she was originally supposed to have Dani's genes instead of Quire's? Or maybe she just as big a fan of Dani as she is of Ms. Marvel.
    In my (biased) opinion, Rasputin's entire design, which seemingly made her so popular even before her first on pannel appearance, is just a cheap amalgamation of "cool" visual elements of allready established characters and trends. Fitting to how her powerset could be argued to be the same. Which feels like visual manipulating the reader into liking a character with the depth of a puddle and a very narrow narrative potential.

Infact given that she has a part of X-23's X-gene, it's almost suprising she doesn't have Wolverine blades too (as far as we know yet...).

In this regard it seems unlikely that her hairstyle is supposed to be directly based on those Dani is often depicted with and more based on the general appeal of these types.

Maybe. With the second question, I was thinking the fan thing might be a way to explain the similarity, not the actual plan.

I got my copy of the MM RPG.

Whoever created Dani's profile really didn't know her. Ego -- the leadership and willpower ability -- is a 1! There's nothing in her powers to indicate leadership or combat skills, not even with a bow! I think there might be a power on the list she doesn't even have, but I'll have to read more to be sure. I will definitely be redoing her character sheet soon. (And maybe Sunspot's, too. He's all over the place from what I've seen so far.)

I may post it tonight, we'll see. There's storms all around tonight, so I might not have internet. The game looks decent, so far, although they're leaving a lot up to the GM (called a Narrator in this game.)

I keep forgetting to mention that a really good (and short) Dani fanfic got posted a few days ago. https://archiveofourown.org/works/49063114

It's about Dani's reaction to Fall of X.

I keep forgetting to mention that a really good (and short) Dani fanfic got posted a few days ago. https://archiveofourown.org/works/49063114

That was interesting -- how do you find all these Dani fanfics, Arachne?

On archiveofourown.org you just type a character's full name in the search bar (not their code name, that'll generally get you nowhere), then look for a tag of their name. Click on that and you'll get the most recent fics. There extra tools in the right-hand sidebar to refine the search. For example, under exclude -> fandoms you can exclude New Mutants (2020), which is the movie. It's a pretty intuitive system once you know not to use code names.

I warn you, though, there's a lot of Explicit and Mature fics on the site, but it's easy to exclude those too if they bother you. (By the descriptions, some of them are pretty strange.)

That was really well done. Thanks for sharing!
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

On archiveofourown.org you just type a character's full name in the search bar (not their code name, that'll generally get you nowhere), then look for a tag of their name. Click on that and you'll get the most recent fics. There extra tools in the right-hand sidebar to refine the search. For example, under exclude -> fandoms you can exclude New Mutants (2020), which is the movie. It's a pretty intuitive system once you know not to use code names.

I warn you, though, there's a lot of Explicit and Mature fics on the site, but it's easy to exclude those too if they bother you. (By the descriptions, some of them are pretty strange.)

Yeah, some of those were pretty... interesting. Didn't come across anything explicit -- there were a bunch of her / Rahne stories, probably piggybacking off the movie.

I just can't believe the VOLUME of stuff out there on that site about Dani!

Yeah, the only thing that bothers me is that more people seem to know Dani from a mediocre movie that, from what I've heard, got all the characters wrong (except maybe Sam as Hollywood never seems to have trouble with everyman* characters), instead of from the comics.

*ever notice that "everyman" characters always seem to be cis, straight, white guys?

Ultimate Member

Yeah, the only thing that bothers me is that more people seem to know Dani from a mediocre movie that, from what I've heard, got all the characters wrong (except maybe Sam as Hollywood never seems to have trouble with everyman* characters), instead of from the comics.

*ever notice that "everyman" characters always seem to be cis, straight, white guys?
    Sadly, it's not as if Dani's been used al that great in comics.

She was meant to be the team's Cyclops, but they've given that role to Sam

Not always. She got the role back when Abnett and Lanning were writing the team. And Sam hasn't done much x-related stuff since.

Not always. She got the role back when Abnett and Lanning were writing the team. And Sam hasn't done much x-related stuff since.

True -- Volume 3 set up a really cool arc where despite losing her powers, Dani proved herself as a valuable team member who could hold her own even without abilities.

And then they had Cyclops [Professor X was dead at the time, so Cyke was the leader] imply that he had his eye on one of the New Mutants to take over a bigger leadership role overall -- they set it up so that as a reader, you think he's watching Sam, but it turns out that Dani is his choice.

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    True -- Volume 3 set up a really cool arc where despite losing her powers, Dani proved herself as a valuable team member who could hold her own even without abilities.

And then they had Cyclops [Professor X was dead at the time, so Cyke was the leader] imply that he had his eye on one of the New Mutants to take over a bigger leadership role overall -- they set it up so that as a reader, you think he's watching Sam, but it turns out that Dani is his choice.
    That was so good. Very much something I'd like anyone who writes Dani going forward to remember.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

They may, but sadly, they seem to think Dani's not marketable enough for that position.

Id love to see her as second in command on a squad with Storm

I'd go for that. Especially if it's X-men Red, or its sequel.