Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Since we are getting cultural justice via retcon for Karma - "Xuân" not "X'ian", and Sunspot - "Beto" NOT "'Berto", can we get artists to stop depicting Moonstar wearing red headbands?
    It was Old West movie practice that allowed White actors to wear long wigs in action scenes when portraying Native American characters.

Also, seeing the image above reminded me of the issue it came from. Cool story in an early issue of NM volume 3 [maybe issue #5], right after the first adventure that kicked that series off. When Dani finds out that Sam won't let her on the team because she's depowered, she challenges Sam to a fist-fight to contest that decision. While they're brawling Dani makes her case to be on the team.

So great story. But my opinion only -- it had the worst art I've ever seen. Which stood in marked contrast to the first few issues of volume 3.
    Last edited by rf2044; 01-23-2023 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rf2044 View Post
    I seem to recall that a few years ago, Darcie Little Badger [who wrote the Dani story for the first Indigenous Voices issue] talked about the headband. Her take [representing from the Apache perspective] was that she didn't believe that the headband was indicative of Cheyenne culture, but it was common in Apache culture. So it might have initially been applied as a pan-Indian stereotype. She also speculated that maybe she picked it up from her friend, James Proudstar, who WAS Apache. But that in the end, Dani rocked the look, so she was good with it.

To me, the wider headband she was drawn from the Volume 3 era forward looks better than the thin headband she's depicted with now.
    The only version of the headband that gets a clear pass as being "rocked" by Dani is this version by Adam Pollina.

I will however take ANY version of the headband over this Pussycat Doll cowboy hat wearing version of Dani.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

I will however take ANY version of the headband over this Pussycat Doll cowboy hat wearing version of Dani.
    Hela seemed to like it.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Also, seeing the image above reminded me of the issue it came from. Cool story in an early issue of NM volume 3 [maybe issue #5], right after the first adventure that kicked that series off. When Dani finds out that Sam won't let her on the team because she's depowered, she challenges Sam to a fist-fight to contest that decision. While they're brawling Dani makes her case to be on the team.

So great story. But my opinion only -- it had the worst art I've ever seen. Which stood in marked contrast to the first few issues of volume 3.
    The art was almost photorealistic at times, but that really isn't suited to a superhero comic at all.

The only version of the headband that gets a clear pass as being "rocked" by Dani is this version by Adam Pollina.

Polina can do no wrong. Too bad we never got to see the full black costume he drew her in.

Ha! Yeah, that cowboy hat doesn't suit her at all. Hela's shoes are divine, though.

Found the Pollina pic I referred to. I would have loved to see the whole outfit, although I probably would have complained that it's not combat practical.

20230123_192018.jpg

(I cropped the image a bit too cut down the file size.)

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    I finally found a pick of a painted Dani mini.

Attachment 128789

Also found a good fanfic: Sixty Guilders of Beads against the Stars by technosagery. It's a spinoff of another fic I haven't read, yet, but it wasn't too hard to follow and it really got Dani's character.

I'm using Dani as the main character in a Starforged (solo ttrpg) game. So far it's been a lot of fun. When i get farther into the story, I may post the character sheet and some session notes.

Which brings me to a question: Do you know any good fan media (fic, art, games) involving Dani? If so, links please.

Thanks for posting that -- probably the best Dani fanfic I've come across.

That section where she met and negotiated with Hela really nailed her personality / attitude.

The part about Nate... whoa! Didn't know that Dani had it in her! : )

A while ago, I came across a four-part series devoted to Dani that was similar in the sense it was part of a broader "alternate" universe of fan fiction. It's a long read to get through all four parts, but worth checking out for anyone interested in some more in depth Dani stories:

https://marvel.omegafic.com/moonstar/

Screenshot 2023-01-24 095406.jpg

Not so fast, my friend! I like that X-Force look, too -- but Dani did indeed ROCK the wide headband look, circa NM volume 3 / Fearless Defenders:

action0.jpg

bad ass3.1.jpg

a1.jpg

What? I liked Cowboy Dani!

[but acknowledge it was a weird choice from the Utopia series]

cowboy dani 6.jpg

cowboy dani 1.jpg

cowboy dani 3.jpg

I will acknowledge that the problem with that outfit may have more to do with the artist than the style.

Thanks for posting that -- probably the best Dani fanfic I've come across.

That section where she met and negotiated with Hela really nailed her personality / attitude.

The part about Nate... whoa! Didn't know that Dani had it in her! : )
    Ha ha! Yeah, for a girl who likes wearing clothes that shock people, Dani does seem to have some issues with intimacy. I think it made sense in the story, given her powers.

I've had that Marvel Omega fic bookmarked for ages. One of these days I'll actually get around to reading it.

Not so fast, my friend! I like that X-Force look, too -- but Dani did indeed ROCK the wide headband look, circa NM volume 3 / Fearless Defenders:
    Different strokes, to my eye those are still needlessly evocative of the false stereotype I was hoping to avoid. The Pollina version at least seemed a bit functional and more bandana like rather than just a strip design element on her brow.
    I *do* wonder what, if any costume innovation we would have gotten for Dani had FEARLESS DEFENDERS continued.

What? I liked Cowboy Dani!

[but acknowledge it was a weird choice from the Utopia series]
    I have NO problem with Cowboy Dani. In fact, I think her Death Slinger Ghost Pistols should be a regular part of her arsenal alongside her Spirit Bow and Spear. A solo book western starring Dani (similar to WYNONNA EARP but with better content and less cheesecake) could be an AMAZING breakout vehicle for Moonstar.
    Last edited by Thirteen; 01-24-2023 at 01:28 PM.

Different strokes, to my eye those are still needlessly evocative of the false stereotype I was hoping to avoid. The Pollina version at least seemed a bit functional and more bandana like rather than just a strip design element on her brow.

I get what you're saying -- I just think it was more up to the artist, versus an intentional choice. I do think that during volume 3, it was presented more as a broad bandana [as you describe]. For example:

Screenshot 2023-01-24 143153.jpg

Even this iconic image from much earlier in that series' run showed it as a much larger headband...

Screenshot 2023-01-24 143223.jpg

...than the pencil thin accessory that it is often currently depicted now. But again, I think it is more a function of the author. I resonate with your concern about it being a stereotype -- but she's been using it for so long now, I wonder if it's just an establish part of her "look" at this point.

For the record, I kind of feel the same way about the fringe that often adorns her costume being pan-Indian. But on the flipside, that stuff also makes her costume distinctive, in an X-world where many of the characters not on the main team basically dress the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rf2044; 01-24-2023 at 01:41 PM.

I don't know how they get the headband under her hair like that. You should really should be able to see it under her hair, if you could get it to work at all.

I know, artistic license, but it's bugged me for years.

Does any other appreciation thread discuss fashion as much as we do? Not complaining, just wondering.

I feel like that one works well because it feels like it's going for an archery/athletic look and not an Old Western movie Native American look.

-- but she's been using it for so long now, I wonder if it's just an establish part of her "look" at this point.
    Which brings me full circle back to why I started this sub-thread: Theres a movement to correct cultural inaccuracies in the NEW MUTANTS' generation (Sunspot is "Beto" NOT "Berto", Karma is Xuen NOT Xian) that I think should be evenly applied. Illyana can become the actual Russian name Ulyana etc

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Does any other appreciation thread discuss fashion as much as we do? Not complaining, just wondering.
    The Jean Grey and/or Storm appreciation threads have infinite discussion about what the characters wear. To really go down the rabbit hole scroll back to when Jean Grey was wearing the Marvel Girl dress in Krakoan era.

Which brings me full circle back to why I started this sub-thread: Theres a movement to correct cultural inaccuracies in the NEW MUTANTS' generation (Sunspot is "Beto" NOT "Berto", Karma is Xuen NOT Xian) that I think should be evenly applied. Illyana can become the actual Russian name Ulyana etc
    It's Xuân in the comic, actually. (I don't like to correct people's spelling, but it seemed appropriate given the nature of the discussion. )

For that matter, I'm pretty sure I read that Moonstar isn't a Cheyenne name. From what I've seen, it should be adjective-noun not noun-noun.

The Jean Grey and/or Storm appreciation threads have infinite discussion about what the characters wear. To really go down the rabbit hole scroll back to when Jean Grey was wearing the Marvel Girl dress in Krakoan era.
    Oh yeah, that discussion leaked out of Jean's appreciation thread more than once, IIRC.