Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Yeah, though his stats changed in subsequent years as they revealed his origin and more about him. And some cards I’ve seen just varied wildly in certain categories too. Categories like “mental powers” obviously, since when that card came out he had no revealed mutant powers at all I don’t think. But even “strength” and “intelligence” both went up in subsequent sets. Oh, and as someone else pointed out, he shrunk a couple of inches to 6’6” too. Maybe he was wearing boots with big soles in his prior measurement.

Regardless, that’s why I tried to use a consensus rating in my write up in this thread. Or at least the latest info on his stats.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Yeah, though his stats changed in subsequent years as they revealed his origin and more about him. And some cards I’ve seen just varied wildly in certain categories too. Categories like “mental powers” obviously, since when that card came out he had no revealed mutant powers at all I don’t think. But even “strength” and “intelligence” both went up in subsequent sets. Oh, and as someone else pointed out, he shrunk a couple of inches to 6’6” too. Maybe he was wearing boots with big soles in his prior measurement.

Regardless, that’s why I tried to use a consensus rating in my write up in this thread. Or at least the latest info on his stats.
    The mere mention of STATS has triggered my desire for a Dauterman Trading Card Variant Cover for Askani'Daddy.
    Would/will the stats be accurate and/or appropriate? Unlikely, since they're pilfered from the original deck of years long passed.
    Am I still desperate for the gorgeous full body & portrait art Dauterman continually nails? 100%

Man... I sure hope so! Would love, love, love a Dauterman Trading Card Variant of Cable. As for his stats, I've already done the work for them and researched this topic, taking either the latest and greatest or a consensus with the appropriate caveats (such as categories that are T/O virus dependent in Nathan's case). It's on the first page of this thread, but here it is...

Power Ratings
    DURABILITY: Level 3
    STAMINA: Level 4
    FIGHTING ABILITY: Level 7 (NOTE: This is the highest level)
    INTELLIGENCE: Level 4
    STRENGTH: Level 3
    SPEED: Level 2 (NOTE: w/ Teleportation Level 7)
    AGILITY: Level 3
    ENERGY PROJECTION: 2 (NOTE: not including use of weaponry; also T-O virus dependent in the case of psychic energy)
    MENTAL POWERS: Variable (NOTE: T-O virus dependent)

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Re: Cable & Madelyne, they did have a couple of interactions in the 90's. I feel like we've seen enough stories about Madelyne focused on Jean and Limbo (and I say that as someone who's enjoying Dark Web: X-Men) and a nice change of pace would be having her going after Sinister to DESTROY him and trying (and probably failing) to create a relationship with Nathan.

OMG! Great scene!! Still LOVE the artwork of Ladronn

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Me too! My Favorite will always be the '92 version (XD)

Yes those cards were great. I started buying them as soon as I started buying comics.

I've got two whole binders full of them. They were in the attic at my parents' house and when my son was younger he was over there with his cousin and found them, so now they're back in my home. I thumb through them from time to time.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    OMG! Great scene!! Still LOVE the artwork of Ladronn

Ladronn's art on Cable was outstanding. You'd think the Kirby style would be an ill fit with the character but it worked splendidly. Ladronn reached unbelievable highs since leaving Cable (his Inhumans mini with Pacheco was breathtaking) but his run on the Askani'son remains his only somewhat regular ongoing work.

That was such a great run... underappreciated by me at the time, but I'm hoping at some point Marvel collects it as an omnibus hardcover.

Thanks, Rodney. Appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cable guy View Post
    Thanks, Happy New Year to you!
    Cheers lads!

Cable Makes His Biggest Nineties Reference Ever
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/cabl...eference-ever/
    It might just be nostalgia talking but god I miss the 90s.

Quick question: I've seen Cable enjoy a pint from time to time. What kind of beer do you think he likes? I'm guessing he likes those hoppy, citrusy IPAs. What do you all think?
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

BANNED

I am currently reading Nicieza run with C&D. It's really great. I am not sure i am liking how he is being written in a X-Men Red as a tactician. Not even close to C&D. More like he is being a substitute. Also him using techno virus as a weapon wasnt awesome. Not sure it made sense either.

Amazing Member

Given the discussion up thread about stats on the cards ... I had to dig back through my digital copies of the old TSR Marvel Super Heroes RPG books.

Amusingly given when they came out ... Cable missed the "Children of the Atom" sourcebook, and then the later Handbook character books they put out. BUT in the annual updates that came out from '89-'92 we get a Cable appearance in '91Marvel Super Heroes #14 - Page 6.jpg
    And for context on those values
    Screenshot 2023-01-07 223317.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Cheers lads!

It might just be nostalgia talking but god I miss the 90s.

Quick question: I've seen Cable enjoy a pint from time to time. What kind of beer do you think he likes? I'm guessing he likes those hoppy, citrusy IPAs. What do you all think?
    I miss the 90's as well. My favorite era as a matter of fact.

As far as beer of choice, I think he could go for anything when the time presents itself. He wouldn't be picky for sure. Even a cold Miller Lite would suffice.

I've got two whole binders full of them. They were in the attic at my parents' house and when my son was younger he was over there with his cousin and found them, so now they're back in my home. I thumb through them from time to time.
    Yes I had a full binder as well. It was pricy at the time but I loved it. I also believe mine is at my parents house in the attic.

My kingdom for a scene of Cable (and Rachel?) teaching Hellion some Askani-techniques to further master his TK.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I am currently reading Nicieza run with C&D. It's really great. I am not sure i am liking how he is being written in a X-Men Red as a tactician. Not even close to C&D. More like he is being a substitute. Also him using techno virus as a weapon wasnt awesome. Not sure it made sense either.
    I think Cable has been very well written in XMR personally. Smart, strategic and tactically proficient both; though to your point maybe he's not operating on the level he was in C&D, trying to destabilize world governments and actively build a better future that way. Perhaps because he's now off-world and dealing with politics on an interplanetary scale, so he's more focused on supporting Storm and Krakoan interests on Planet Arakko as the Security Chief of S.W.O.R.D. which is now bankrolled and run by the Quiet Council/Krakoan government.

As for the T/O virus being "weaponized," personally I loved it. Cable has always resisted being just another psychic with a TP/TK combination power set precisely because he's a soldier from the future who uses future tech and weaponry. In fact, I'd say his being a cyborg is more important to the character's appeal than his being a psychic, as evidenced by the fact that early on he didn't even demonstrate any use of mutant powers and yet was still wildly popular in the early 90s. Up there with Wolverine in popularity at one point even. Also, during a lot of the Cable & Deadpool run he replaced his mutant powers (after being lobotomized by Deadpool to prevent his full raw power levels from burning out his physical body) with technology. Specifically his Cone of Silence flexible force field generator (which simulated his TK) and his Infonet (which kind of simulated his TP). So even without his natural born mutant gifts, he was still the same character and in fact even more interesting I think because of that fact.

So... in that same vein, I view what Ewing has done with him here in XMR #10 as rife with potential. If the bulk of his mutant power remains focused on containing the T/O virus, meaning he's still nerfed in terms of his power levels; but he can now manipulate it and use it defensively and offensively with this new level of control he's mastered, then it has kind of effectively replaced his mutant gifts with something new. Something technological, or techno-organic, that he uses in combat. Thus instead of creating forcefields with his TK per se, he creates armor and shields out of his T/O using his TK to do so. So I'd imagine he could throw up a black/blue T/O shield instantly just like he has thrown up a pure teke shield in the past. Same end result, but this looks more interesting and differentiates him because it uses alien future tech instead of just his mutant power by itself. It's like having a T/O symbiote inside of him. The same goes for using it offensively, to enhance his strength when he "armors up" (like he did in this issue when he punched Orbis Stellaris and cracked his shell) or even creating weapons from it (energy guns or blades). Which is really no different than using his psimitar in the past to channel his mutant power through that and fire it offensively.

So I cannot wait to see what Ewing might do with this as a new status quo change, and am hoping it's not a "one and done" trick in that regard but something that sticks around. As a general rule, if it would make for a really kickass action figure then it has probably done its job of making a character more visually interesting and differentiated. And I would definitely buy an action figure of "Weaponized T/O Cable."

Quote Originally Posted by cable guy View Post
    I miss the 90's as well. My favorite era as a matter of fact.

As far as beer of choice, I think he could go for anything when the time presents itself. He wouldn't be picky for sure. Even a cold Miller Lite would suffice.
    See, I'm thinking Cable is more of a spirits guy. Specifically whiskey. A Scotch or a bourbon, maybe a cocktail (e.g., an Old Fashioned). But would definitely drink a beer if offered. My guess is he'd want something flavorful and with character. A heavier, darker beer versus the standard pilsner or light lager that someone like Logan drinks. Nathan would be more of a brown ale, porter or even stout type of guy.