Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

To be fair with Heinberg, I'm not sure if the concept of sliding timescale was firmly established back in 2004 when he wrote the first draft for Young Avengers. According to Marvel Fandom, the concept and its specific rules were only officially discussed in Marvel Handbooks published after the first Young Avengers volume, so it's possible he was just really clueless to how chronology worked due to a lack of clear rules and editorial wasn't of much help at the time.

And speaking of editorial... Tom Brevoort is leaving the Avengers office after many years being in charge of the franchise. As some of you may or may not know, he was one of the minds behind Young Avengers and edited most if not all books with YA in the title. While I'm super thankful for him helping bring the team to life, I'm also low-key bitter about the fact he left the team in limbo for so long after Gillen's run. Here's hoping whoever takes over the Avengers franchise will actually bring the team back into the spotlight.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-12-2023 at 03:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Heinberg simply didn't do the maths right when he created them. Hulkling has the same origin problem (considering he's Mar-Vell's son), they had to retcon him as being sent back in time as a baby too. Billy, Tommy and Teddy should all be about half the age they are otherwise.
    Why didn't they just freeze him like Supergirl? Like aging down is way easier than aging up in Marvel's setting.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Why didn't they just freeze him like Supergirl? Like aging down is way easier than aging up in Marvel's setting.
    Freeze who? Billy, Tommy, or Teddy, or all of them? Supergirl was already a teenager when she was frozen, freezing Billy, Tommy, or Teddy wouldn't make them teenagers.

Fantastic Member Waking Replica's Avatar

Sorry to interject on the timeline discourse, but just wanted to remind everyone that Loki #3, the one that Billy and Teddy are guest starring in, is coming out this Wednesday!! Previews here: https://aiptcomics.com/2023/08/11/ma...view-loki-3-2/

ALSO, JUST SAW THIS: https://twitter.com/samsonet3/status...8T_UpW17g&s=19

Looks like David and Tommy will have at least one X-Men Unlimited issue, set pre-Hellfire Gala!
    Last edited by Waking Replica; 08-13-2023 at 02:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShatteredReality View Post
    Freeze who? Billy, Tommy, or Teddy, or all of them? Supergirl was already a teenager when she was frozen, freezing Billy, Tommy, or Teddy wouldn't make them teenagers.
    I mean Teddy, his problem is that he is born way too early in Kree/Skrull war in the 70s, literally freezing him will be a simple way to age him down.
    The same way Supergirl was aged down/kept as a teenager(if she arrived at Earth normally she would be older than Clark.) What's so hard to understand here?
    Cryogenic sleep will easily take some years out of Teddy and put him at the right age with other YA members.
    "Spending too much time getting to Earth" is pretty common for alien characters.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 08-14-2023 at 10:58 PM.

Freezing wouldn't age him up, it'd make him even younger. Teddy has to have been conceived before Mar-Vell died, and if it's 15 years since the FF origin, it's obviously less than that since Mar-Vell's demise. Like I said, based on the timeline, he should only be around half his actual age i.e. 10 instead of 20. What they did, if I remember right, was retcon it so that he and his adoptive mother were sent back in time when they escaped Skrullos during the war.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I mean Teddy, his problem is that he is born way too early in Kree/Skrull war in the 70s, literally freezing him will be a simple way to age him down.
    The same way Supergirl was aged down/kept as a teenager(if she arrived at Earth normally she would be older than Clark.) What's so hard to understand here?
    Cryogenic sleep will easily some years out of Teddy and put him at the right age with other YA members.
    "Spending too much time getting to Earth" is pretty common for alien characters.
    Ah i see, you're ignoring the sliding timescale, yeah teddy's age doesn't work with the sliding timescale.

Ultimate Member

Freezing wouldn't age him up, it'd make him even younger. Teddy has to have been conceived before Mar-Vell died, and if it's 15 years since the FF origin, it's obviously less than that since Mar-Vell's demise. Like I said, based on the timeline, he should only be around half his actual age i.e. 10 instead of 20. What they did, if I remember right, was retcon it so that he and his adoptive mother were sent back in time when they escaped Skrullos during the war.
    Skrulls mature faster? (Ew, unwanted controversy even if they do age faster, since nobody wants him to actually be 10 Earth-years old, with a 20-something level of physical and emotional maturity.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Skrulls mature faster? (Ew, unwanted controversy even if they do age faster, since nobody wants him to actually be 10 Earth-years old, with a 20-something level of physical and emotional maturity.)
    I wouldn't say "nobody", there's always someone out there that wants it lol

But if why didn't Hulkling's adoptive mother ever contact his bio dad? Did she maybe not want to interfere with the timeline? What about after the point in time where they were sent back in time passed? Then that wouldn't affect the timeline, right? Or am I thinking about this too hard?

I don't think Mary-Jo even told Teddy his true heritage until after Mar-Vell's death. He probably discovered his powers as a teenager, and before that they pretended to be human.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I don't think Mary-Jo even told Teddy his true heritage until after Mar-Vell's death. He probably discovered his powers as a teenager, and before that they pretended to be human.
    Yeah, he didn't find out what he really was until Super Skrull killed his mother. I think he thought he was human, just with powers, before that.

If I recall he thought he was a mutant until the whole mess with the Super Skrull.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShatteredReality View Post
    But if why didn't Hulkling's adoptive mother ever contact his bio dad? Did she maybe not want to interfere with the timeline? What about after the point in time where they were sent back in time passed? Then that wouldn't affect the timeline, right? Or am I thinking about this too hard?
    If I remember correctly, the original explanation was that by the time she was able to settle on Earth, Mar-Vell had already died. Now post time-travel retcon, I don't know, since she had a lot more time to look for him. Maybe she really was just waiting for the right time, but that time never came before he died. Also worth noting that the same book that established the time travel also established she did get to see a grown up Teddy after she briefly traveled to the future, so I guess it's possible she told herself he was gonna be fine and didn't feel the need to rush anything once she went to the past.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    If I recall he thought he was a mutant until the whole mess with the Super Skrull.
    That makes sense. He probably thought he was like Billy, who also would've presumed he was a mutant (though Wanda being retconned as not one put that in doubt).

Wouldn't it be funny if they just revealed that all the Young Avengers in the MCU are mutants? Even the ones without innate powers. Talk about simplifying origins lol