Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    A while back we were discussing here how Marvel Studios may or may not change Teddy's powers in the MCU based on how the Skrulls were adapted and what they did to Ms. Marvel, and well, the Secret Invasion Trailer had a shot of a Skrull turning their arm into a stretchy thing, which shows the Skrulls won't be limited to just changing their humanoid appearance! I'd say that's one step closer to Teddy having his wings/claws/scales.
    Eh? I hope that was a Super Skrull. In the comics, Skrulls can only use elastic power if they're a Super Skrull, i.e. they've copied Reed's powers (Super Skrulls can copy anyone's superpowers, the main one uses the powers of the Fantastic Four). Normal Skrulls only shapeshift, they don't have elongation. They're more like Mystique rather than Kamala.

That base shapeshifting ability should be sufficient for Teddy to have his wings and scales anyway. He just gets his other powers (including the strength required to use those wings) from his Kree side.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Eh? I hope that was a Super Skrull. In the comics, Skrulls can only use elastic power if they're a Super Skrull, i.e. they've copied Reed's powers (Super Skrulls can copy anyone's superpowers, the main one uses the powers of the Fantastic Four). Normal Skrulls only shapeshift, they don't have elongation. They're more like Mystique rather than Kamala.

That base shapeshifting ability should be sufficient for Teddy to have his wings and scales anyway. He just gets his other powers (including the strength required to use those wings) from his Kree side.
    Teddy's demonstrated stretchy powers in the comics without being a Super Skrull. As have other skrulls. I believe there's just differences between basic shape-shifting based stretching and Mr. Fantastic's elastic abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Teddy's demonstrated stretchy powers in the comics without being a Super Skrull. As have other skrulls. I believe there's just differences between basic shape-shifting based stretching and Mr. Fantastic's elastic abilities.
    Right! Teddy's not a Super Skrull but still has stretched his limbs and created wings to fly and such. I remember he used it once when impersonating Reed Richards in the classic Young Avengers run, ironically before running into the original Super Skrull himself.

Anyway the Secret Invasion show could be a glimpse into how they could use Teddy in the MCU if it happens. Will we see winged flying Skrulls as well? Please allude to Teddy, Secret Invasion, please!

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Feels like something we've seen Teddy do in the comics too.
    Yes, he did! Right on the first issue of Gillen's run when he was impersonating Spider-Man, he turns his arm into two long hoofs to beat up some guys. One of my favorite instances of his shapeshifting being used creatively by writers.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    I feel like 2/4 of the Super-Skrull's powers are kinda redundant, considering regular Skrulls have been able to more or less replicate those powers on other occasions. Only the cosmic fire from Human Torch and the invisibility/energy fields from Invisible Woman are truly unique in terms of Skrull powerset.

Ultimate Member

I feel like 2/4 of the Super-Skrull's powers are kinda redundant, considering regular Skrulls have been able to more or less replicate those powers on other occasions. Only the cosmic fire from Human Torch and the invisibility/energy fields from Invisible Woman are truly unique in terms of Skrull powerset.
    Something that bugs me about Legion of Super-Heroes aliens (or the X-Men's telepaths!), is that any feat that any member of a race performs becomes the new standard for every single member of the race. It's like, "oh, a member of my race was once shown running like Usain Bolt or thinking like Albert Einstein, so that must mean *every single human* can run like Usain Bolt or think like Albert Einstein!"

I would love if not every Skrull is an absolute whiz at shapeshifting, and can use it to stretch, shrink, heal instantly, grow super-large, assume animal forms with working gills, wings, etc. Just as I, a human, can't do a *ton* of things that humans have done in the past, like shatter wineglasses with my singing, or run over 25 MPH, or deadlift 1000 lbs., or recite the value of Pi out to 45 decimal points, Bob Skrull might not be able to do more than disguise himself as some other person of the same basic height and weight, and none of this other amazing stuff, 'cause, it would turn out, that the Skrulls showing up as deep-cover infiltrators or leaders of invasion forces are *above average,* the 'James Bonds' and 'Natasha Romanovas' of their people.

The notion that every Bob and Jane Skrull can duplicate the powers of Reed Richards, Wolverine, Giant-Man, Wasp, Tigra, Shark Girl, Angel, Wolfsbane, etc. is just kind of annoying (and ultimately it detracts from the Skrulls that do this stuff, as it stops being impressive when it later is assumed that any Skrull child can do it, and it was no big deal, the Skrull character wasn't specially trained or talented or trying hard or accomplishing anything particularly impressive).

Something interesting I have not seen discussed is that when the Secret Invasion trailer dropped, they also announced a few additional cast members. One such cast member was Katie Finneran. She comes from Broadway, and she has often played television roles who are mothers in the past decade. She even played Kathryn Newton's Mom (the Cassie Lang actress) in the movie Freaky, so Marvel has definitely seen her playing that archetype. But most interestingly, she looks *very* much like Mary-Jo Altman. I do think this show might plant some seeds for Teddy to appear down the line, I do not think we see him in this. Therefore, I think a cameo featuring Finneran playing Antalya as Mary-Jo Altman in some way, or a reference to a young Skrull refugee (not out of place in a show dealing with Skrull refugees on Earth), could be the way that they set Teddy up to appear later. I mean, he has to be coming now that Billy is in Agatha. It's also worth noting that this casting would be quite similar to the way Marvel probably casted an actress known for playing motherly roles, Maria Dizzia, as Rebecca Kaplan (in all likelihood) for Agatha. Fun fact, Dizzia and Finneran were both nominated for Tony Awards together in 2010.

Also, here's Katie Finneran next to Mary-Jo for reference.

katie_mary_jo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mont View Post
    Something interesting I have not seen discussed is that when the Secret Invasion trailer dropped, they also announced a few additional cast members. One such cast member was Katie Finneran. She comes from Broadway, and she has often played television roles who are mothers in the past decade. She even played Kathryn Newton's Mom (the Cassie Lang actress) in the movie Freaky, so Marvel has definitely seen her playing that archetype. But most interestingly, she looks *very* much like Mary-Jo Altman. I do think this show might plant some seeds for Teddy to appear down the line, I do not think we see him in this. Therefore, I think a cameo featuring Finneran playing Antalya as Mary-Jo Altman in some way, or a reference to a young Skrull refugee (not out of place in a show dealing with Skrull refugees on Earth), could be the way that they set Teddy up to appear later. I mean, he has to be coming now that Billy is in Agatha. It's also worth noting that this casting would be quite similar to the way Marvel probably casted an actress known for playing motherly roles, Maria Dizzia, as Rebecca Kaplan (in all likelihood) for Agatha. Fun fact, Dizzia and Finneran were both nominated for Tony Awards together in 2010.

Also, here's Katie Finneran next to Mary-Jo for reference.

katie_mary_jo.jpg
    I'm inclined to believe if Mary-Jo was cast, Teddy would be too, just because it's not like there is any point to this character other than existing for Teddy's backstory. I think it would be weird to have her there but not Teddy, UNLESS she was there for a flashback sequence showing her being aware of Anelle's (or whoever ends up being Teddy's biological mom in the MCU) pregnancy and vowing to help her. But I'm not gonna dare to wish this much, considering we've been let down for 3 years now expecting Wiccan/Hulkling in the MCU. I'm just not gonna expect anything and be pleasantly surprised if it happens.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 04-07-2023 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I would’ve preferred her & the twins over Teddy in this particular instance but I’ll take it if this means we get specifically a Wanda & Tommy centered issue.
    Orlando seems to focus on a different Wanda supporting character in each issue of Scarlet Witch.
    Issue 1 - Quicksilver
    Issue 2 - Viv Vision
    Issue 3 - Polaris
    Issue 4/5 - Darcy Lewis
    Annual - Agatha Harkness
    Issue 6 - Wiccan and Hulkling

I'm sure he'll get to a Tommy issue soon.
    (The Scarlet Witch and Vision relationship is being explored over in MacKay's Avengers.)

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Thank goodness! Finally something to get excited over! Can't wait to see this. We don't get enough Wanda/Billy interactions. Happy to see Hulkling as well, plus Wanda wielding the sword! Is she the new Queen of Space?
    Hulkling probably transferred the sword temporarily to Wanda. We've seen it happen before with Black Panther in Empyre.
    (That is, if the cover is fully representative of what happens within the issue, which is not always the case.)

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post

Hulkling probably transferred the sword temporarily to Wanda. We've seen it happen before with Black Panther in Empyre.
    (That is, if the cover is fully representative of what happens within the issue, which is not always the case.)
    Indeed. It seems the sword can be lent to others, and also recognizes friend from foe -- as evidenced by Wiccan being unharmed when the body-swapped-Teddy-Doom (TeDoom?) drove the sword into him during the Guardians of the Galaxy arc.

https://twitter.com/ScarletWitchUpd/...02322614206524

If this is a scene with the Kaplan family, this is actually more than the comics have ever done in terms of showing them being practicing jews, LOL. But anyway, I'm all here for it. I really hope this show gives Jeff and Rebecca (and hopefully Billy's forgotten younger brothers) the spotlight they deserve, which hopefully would lead to them appearing more in Billy's stories in the comics.

https://twitter.com/ScarletWitchUpd/...02322614206524

If this is a scene with the Kaplan family, this is actually more than the comics have ever done in terms of showing them being practicing jews, LOL. But anyway, I'm all here for it. I really hope this show gives Jeff and Rebecca (and hopefully Billy's forgotten younger brothers) the spotlight they deserve, which hopefully would lead to them appearing more in Billy's stories in the comics.
    This makes me bummed that Agatha was pushed back. I'm only keeping up with the MCU for YA related content. I'm anxious to see how they do Billy/Wiccan it's driving me insane.

I do not want Joe Locke as Billy Kaplan I litterally cannot be excited all the mofo’s in the world and they pick the 1st twink they see with 1 mediocre project under his belt.

As a fan of the books I still need to check out Heartstopper...

Incredible Member

I recently saw a fan art of heart stoppers and a repost listed it as Billy and Teddy.

As far as casting goes I'm positive people would be mad no matter who got cast.

There is such a wild and obviously fake rumor going around about how there is a draft for Vision Quest in which Tommy and Viv have a romantic relationship.... how do people even come up with this? LMAO