Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    THIS.
    As a fan since Heinberg's original YOUNG AVENGERS, assembling this team without Eli, even after his introduction in FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLIDER series, is kind of a non-starter for me. I'll hold out hope that we will get his evolution into PATRIOT as part of the early stories of the cinematic team's adventures.

The mind also ponders whom to cast as a younger version of Jonatan Majors as IRON LAD/KID KANG...
    Eli's one of those character's who I didn't really like initially but grew to appreciate on re-reads and now he's one of my faves, it bother's me immensely that due to copyright issues he's often left out considering the team doesn't get that much spotlight to begin with so he really can't afford to be missing out.

He can be a massive jerk and is someone full of anger but I like what he brings to the group and lord if a lot that anger isn't justified considering. While he make many rash and bad decisions over the course of the run I can always understand his reasoning, Eli certainly someone not afraid to have an unpopular opinion or be the naysayer if he ultimately feels it's the right thing to do. He's also arguably the most loyal friend of the team, I always noted he was the most adamantly against sending Nate back to the future to become Kang and the last hold-out.

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    Eli's one of those character's who I didn't really like initially but grew to appreciate on re-reads and now he's one of my faves, it bother's me immensely that due to copyright issues he's often left out considering the team doesn't get that much spotlight to begin with so he really can't afford to be missing out.
    I am unaware of the copyright issue with PATRIOT/ELI BRADLEY, do tell please...
    (I did a quick read up on the scant info on the legal issues stemming from THE CREW in the old. Eli Bradley: Patriot appreciation 2021 thread, but does the Bradley family's appearance in F&WS series indicate that the issues have been resolved perhaps?)
    Last edited by Thirteen; 01-24-2023 at 10:57 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Maybe Teddy just needs a date with a Psyche-Magnetron? The device that awakened Carol's dormant Kree powers (at the time believed to have been copied from Mar-Vell, until the retcon a few years ago that she's actually half-Kree). They do seem to emphasise Teddy's Skrull side over his Kree side.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

I have seen people float the idea that the MCU may do a gender flip on Teddy origins where his mum's now Carol and his dad's a Skrull Prince and she was living with the Skrulls for last 30 years there's definitely a window where it could've happened.
    That would be twist and a half. I'm not sure I love the idea of one of the Young Avengers having an active parent like Carol Danvers getting all up in their business.

I could get behind them reworking Teddy into a Captain Marvel Jr if can't be a shapeshifter in the MCU hell I have no issue with getting those powers in the comics, it always seemed a bit unfair how both Genis and Phyla got to have grand cosmic abilities like their dad and there's poor Teddy regulated to a discount Hulk.
    Genis and Phyla, IIRC, both inherited Eternal-lite powers from their other parent, and it was never clear if any of Mar-Vell's abilities were inheritable, since the cosmic awareness was a gift from a cosmic entity, not a 'super-power,' and many of his other abilities (flight, energy beams) came from his nega-bands. The only 'base' ability he seemed to have, that *might* be inheritable, was super-strength.

And the first YA series implied that Teddy doesn't even have super-strength (when the Avengers lock them in a room and they discuss how to get out), which I think has been gently ignored ever since.

That said, it's a mess anyway. Kree aren't supposed to even be able to *have* powers, which was the whole effing point of the big green brain-tentacle-dude that led them using some sort of gene-bomb to murder most of his race just to awaken the potential of powers in the survivors (and of their creating the Inhumans in the first place, since they couldn't have powers themselves!). So Mar-Vell having any powers at all was always kind of 'eh.' (Although it's entirely possible that he could only have powers because he was a 'pink Kree,' and the big scary secret is that 'pink Kree' are actually Kree/human hybrids the Kree created after their early Inhuman experiments on Earth, so that they could have a sub-population of super-empowerable folk who thought they were Kree, and yet were often treated as second-class citizens by the blue Kree *because they were.*)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 01-24-2023 at 02:48 PM.

Whenever this thread gets active I get hyped that there might be a new book or something and then I am disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    THIS.
    As a fan since Heinberg's original YOUNG AVENGERS, assembling this team without Eli, even after his introduction in FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLIDER series, is kind of a non-starter for me. I'll hold out hope that we will get his evolution into PATRIOT as part of the early stories of the cinematic team's adventures.

The mind also ponders whom to cast as a younger version of Jonatan Majors as IRON LAD/KID KANG...
    Love what you did hear. Also agree with you on the need for Eli to be placed front and center on a team he created on. However, I do believe that we are going to get him in the MCU. The comics seem intent on playing games with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    So Mar-Vell having any powers at all was always kind of 'eh.' (Although it's entirely possible that he could only have powers because he was a 'pink Kree,' and the big scary secret is that 'pink Kree' are actually Kree/human hybrids the Kree created after their early Inhuman experiments on Earth, so that they could have a sub-population of super-empowerable folk who thought they were Kree, and yet were often treated as second-class citizens by the blue Kree *because they were.*)
    Personally, I wouldn't like this idea at all.
    It just increases the already absurd Earth-centrality of Marvel Space stories to new levels.

The interstellar Kree Empire carried out Inhuman-esque experiments on thousands of worlds.
    When the Supreme Intelligence changed its mind, those thousands of worlds were destroyed.
    The humans (and four other species) survived because the records were lost and the Kree forgot about them until it was too late.
    If the Kree really had this kind of history with humans, would they really have forgotten Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Whenever this thread gets active I get hyped that there might be a new book or something and then I am disappointed.
    I feel like we're so close to getting a new book. Until they we mainly express our wants for them and all their debuts and buildup in the MCU.

On the topic of Patriot, maybe they are trying to get the Eli matter settled before they start Volume 3 so he can be a part of it? I hope that's the case anyway.

That would be twist and a half. I'm not sure I love the idea of one of the Young Avengers having an active parent like Carol Danvers getting all up in their business.

Genis and Phyla, IIRC, both inherited Eternal-lite powers from their other parent, and it was never clear if any of Mar-Vell's abilities were inheritable, since the cosmic awareness was a gift from a cosmic entity, not a 'super-power,' and many of his other abilities (flight, energy beams) came from his nega-bands. The only 'base' ability he seemed to have, that *might* be inheritable, was super-strength.

And the first YA series implied that Teddy doesn't even have super-strength (when the Avengers lock them in a room and they discuss how to get out), which I think has been gently ignored ever since.

That said, it's a mess anyway. Kree aren't supposed to even be able to *have* powers, which was the whole effing point of the big green brain-tentacle-dude that led them using some sort of gene-bomb to murder most of his race just to awaken the potential of powers in the survivors (and of their creating the Inhumans in the first place, since they couldn't have powers themselves!). So Mar-Vell having any powers at all was always kind of 'eh.' (Although it's entirely possible that he could only have powers because he was a 'pink Kree,' and the big scary secret is that 'pink Kree' are actually Kree/human hybrids the Kree created after their early Inhuman experiments on Earth, so that they could have a sub-population of super-empowerable folk who thought they were Kree, and yet were often treated as second-class citizens by the blue Kree *because they were.*)
    The first YA run never implied anything about Teddy not having super strength.
    He was just bantering with Eli.

Hell, he shows his super strength rather obviously in the run in all the fights. Especially against Super Skrull.

It's true most of the Vells powers originally come from an outside source like the Nega-Bands and such but one thing I found in reading the various Captain Marvel runs is that after a point writers just forget that and start treating them as something inherent, if they wanted to they could just say Teddy got his through his sword Excelsior.

This is nice! Where is it from? The team looks great!

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I have seen people float the idea that the MCU may do a gender flip on Teddy origins where his mum's now Carol and his dad's a Skrull Prince and she was living with the Skrulls for last 30 years there's definitely a window where it could've happened.

I could get behind them reworking Teddy into a Captain Marvel Jr if can't be a shapeshifter in the MCU hell I have no issue with getting those powers in the comics, it always seemed a bit unfair how both Genis and Phyla got to have grand cosmic abilities like their dad and there's poor Teddy regulated to a discount Hulk.
    I can't say I'd be a big fan of Teddy being Carol's son. I feel like it's awkward enough that they turned her into a mother figure to Monica, so doing that with another Marvel character would feel like when they kept trying to shoehorn Tony Stark on Peter Parker's life in the MCU. I expect Teddy to have interactions with Carol if he's a Kree/Skrull, but I don't think it should be to that extent.

But yes, I do hope Teddy can be more integrated into the Captain Marvel legacy as a superhero. The comics have failed to do that for the most part, so let's hope the MCU can make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    I feel like we're so close to getting a new book. Until they we mainly express our wants for them and all their debuts and buildup in the MCU.

On the topic of Patriot, maybe they are trying to get the Eli matter settled before they start Volume 3 so he can be a part of it? I hope that's the case anyway.
    I don't know. When it seemed like they had settled the matter in 2019, with Eli making his return in Marvel Comics #1000, they had the chance to announce something and they didn't. So at this point I don't know what the hell they're waiting for, really.

This is great
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

What's with those patterns? And Kate being in civilian clothes?

Cassie looks like MCU Shang-Chi.