Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm curious to see how The Marvels bombing in such spectacular fashion will affect the comic character.
    Not to mention Kamala, Monica, and that tease at the end.

Carol and Monica's futures look uncertain (they should be in the two announced Avengers films, but one of those could end up cancelled due to Kang's actor's misdemeanours), but they definitely have faith in Iman Vellani, given that she's both continuing to play Kamala (Marvel Zombies is next up for her) and writing her solo comic.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

I'm curious to see how The Marvels bombing in such spectacular fashion will affect the comic character.
    Well, the comics haven't (knock wood) turned Wanda into a psycho killer and seemingly killed her off, so hopefully the days of extreme synergy between movies and comics are past.

Carol won't get the comics boost that would come with a successful movie, but those boosts are small and temporary anyway.

Since the comics are at least partly a source of cheap ideas for the MCU, I suppose we might see some comic stories or status quos (statuses quo?) that try to do something different with her than the MCU has done so far.

BANNED

The Marvels bombing? I take it you mean bombed at the Box Office, right?

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Carol and Monica's futures look uncertain (they should be in the two announced Avengers films, but one of those could end up cancelled due to Kang's actor's misdemeanours), but they definitely have faith in Iman Vellani, given that she's both continuing to play Kamala (Marvel Zombies is next up for her) and writing her solo comic.
    Both of these happened before The Marvels bombed.

Monica was never a hugely/widely beloved/popular comic book character to begin with (and I say this as a huge fan of hers, BTW). I don't think The Marvels bombing will affect the comic book character in any major way. My only concern is that the lessons learned by the powers that be in regard to The Marvels will be all the wrong ones. Namely, "let's not make any more CBMs that center women, and let's just continue making Avengers movies with sausage-fests where there is only one or two token women (one of which we can kill in the inevitable end of whatever saga we are in the middle of)."

Sad to say, but one lesson they might learn is not to use a black female director. Apparently The Marvels was the most successful film made by one - but it's still considered a box office bomb.
    https://news.yahoo.com/nia-dacosta-m...l?guccounter=1
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Now, time for some laughs:

"Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sad to say, but one lesson they might learn is not to use a black female director. Apparently The Marvels was the most successful film made by one - but it's still considered a box office bomb.
    https://news.yahoo.com/nia-dacosta-m...l?guccounter=1
    I think one of the benefits of Mia DaCosta's controversial (some would say career damaging) vocal protests that THE MARVEL was not under her true directorial guidance, is that that blow will be softened with other factors getting some of the attention.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I think one of the benefits of Mia DaCosta's controversial (some would say career damaging) vocal protests that THE MARVEL was not under her true directorial guidance, is that that blow will be softened with other factors getting some of the attention.
    The support is nice to see .

(forgive me if this variant has already been posted, I didn't see it)

Werneck sells the heck outta the new look in this Stormbreakers Variant for CAPTAIN MARVEL 2

Larger version here
    Last edited by Thirteen; 12-13-2023 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    (forgive me if this variant has already been posted, I didn't see it)

Werneck sells the heck outta the new look in this Stormbreakers Variant for CAPTAIN MARVEL 2

Larger version here
    This is honestly the best it's looked and I'm not even a fan of the suit as a costume.

(crossposting from the Rogue thread in the X-Forum)

I never noticed the artistic symmetry between John Romita Jr's retelling of the Ms Marvel vs Rogue encounter that left Carol powerless (UNCANNY X-MEN Vol 1, #203) and Rogue's first encounter with Carol Danvers as Binary (UNCANNY X-MEN Vol 1, #171) drawn by Walt Simonson.

It almost had to have been an intentional homage by Romita...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is honestly the best it's looked and I'm not even a fan of the suit as a costume.
    Lose the jacket, or at least the buttons -- they look silly. I do like that the logo/emblem finally stands out after losing those lousy military stripes. I guess that's some progress.

what was the original meaning of Carol's "Seventh Sense" and, pragmatically, why not call it a sixth sense, since humans only have five senses?

Is the power even used nowadays?