Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Now back to what is important, do you think the new status quo in the comics, with the quantum bands, is going to last longer?
    Nah. That's just an initial arc to bring Yuna into the story. I reckon that'll be resolved in short order, not least because how can Carol lead the Avengers when she can only be out for a few minutes before she automatically gets swapped with Yuna? Last thing they need is for her to be in mid air trying to fight an enemy, and suddenly she gets replaced by a teenage girl who can't fly. She'd be a liability.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Exactly.

Now back to what is important, do you think the new status quo in the comics, with the quantum bands, is going to last longer?
    Does any status quo last with Captain Marvel? For all we know the character could.....

End up working as an editor for the Marvel version of Buzzfeed and wearing the black uniform again.

Loses her powers somehow leading to her brother becoming Captain Marvel

Die and come back as four different heroes claiming to be Captain Marvel. Each one wearing a different costume.

Falls off the wagon and starts drinking again and has to have Monica fill in.

Whoops! Captain Marvel just married Paul Rabin... and they have kids!

Captain Marvel...Herald of Galactus!?

Captain Marvel can now transform into a truck and shouts "Avengers roll out!"

Things get wild when Batman shows up because it turned out that Carol was the one who killed his parents.

Captain Marvel adopts Kamala Khan's nephew!

Any of those things can happen and it wouldn't shock anyone.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-30-2023 at 01:16 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

That job she had at the start of Ms. Marvel vol 1 is a bit weird nowadays isn't it? Editor of the Daily Bugle's Woman magazine? Why would they hire a USAF Major for that job?

As for the brother, weren't both her brothers retconned as only being half-brothers - different Mom - when they decided to retcon Carol as being half-Kree? If they hadn't done that, then that surviving brother would indeed logically be able activate a copy of Carol's powers.

The rest of what you said are outright jokes of course... and as for the last one, Carol does not seem like the maternal type. Look at how she was when around Gerry Drew.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That job she had at the start of Ms. Marvel vol 1 is a bit weird nowadays isn't it? Editor of the Daily Bugle's Woman magazine? Why would they hire a USAF Major for that job?

As for the brother, weren't both her brothers retconned as only being half-brothers - different Mom - when they decided to retcon Carol as being half-Kree? If they hadn't done that, then that surviving brother would indeed logically be able activate a copy of Carol's powers.

The rest of what you said are outright jokes of course... and as for the last one, Carol does not seem like the maternal type. Look at how she was when around Gerry Drew.
    I think Marvel went as far as they could with the higher faster further stuff. Maybe it would be better for the character to go lower! slower! closer! Because it feels like the character is hollow and doesn't have a life just a backstory. Marvel's approach to the character is "I am my job!" except the only character that is (barely) successful at that is Captain America. That is why Falcon is such a bad choice for that role, he has a life and other interest that would get in the way of that. Steve Rogers has to be Cap because what else is there.

Captain Marvel needs adopt a city that isn't New York. Get a job that isn't tied to being a superhero. Get a life.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

While being selected to run Woman magazine seems unorthodox, I can see why she was selected. 'Woman' was created in the era of women's liberation - and Carol being assigned a chief security position for a military base in a time where women didn't routinely hold such positions. So Carol being it's editor gave the magazine a bit of feminist cache.

I don't know what Carol's education was aside from her military/air force training, but I'm assuming she may have had some journalism classes or worked on a college publication -- but that may not be the case. I think the main reason was to give Carol a supporting case -- some of which was borrowed from Spider-Man's cast. I always found the magazine angle interesting, but it played out early due to Carol's lengthy absences.

The supporting cast was entirely borrowed from Spider-Man. All the Bugle guys, plus MJ, and even Peter himself. It was very quickly nixed though when Claremont took over as writer a few issues in.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I think Marvel went as far as they could with the higher faster further stuff. Maybe it would be better for the character to go lower! slower! closer! Because it feels like the character is hollow and doesn't have a life just a backstory. Marvel's approach to the character is "I am my job!" except the only character that is (barely) successful at that is Captain America. That is why Falcon is such a bad choice for that role, he has a life and other interest that would get in the way of that. Steve Rogers has to be Cap because what else is there.

Captain Marvel needs adopt a city that isn't New York. Get a job that isn't tied to being a superhero. Get a life.
    Yup either do something interesting with space Carol or put her back on Earth.

Is she even really in space that much?

Apart from that X-Men crossover at the end of the run she was on Earth for most of Kelly Thompson's run wasn't she? Though one arc did take her to an alternate universe.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    While being selected to run Woman magazine seems unorthodox, I can see why she was selected. 'Woman' was created in the era of women's liberation - and Carol being assigned a chief security position for a military base in a time where women didn't routinely hold such positions. So Carol being it's editor gave the magazine a bit of feminist cache.

I don't know what Carol's education was aside from her military/air force training, but I'm assuming she may have had some journalism classes or worked on a college publication -- but that may not be the case. I think the main reason was to give Carol a supporting case -- some of which was borrowed from Spider-Man's cast. I always found the magazine angle interesting, but it played out early due to Carol's lengthy absences.
    Memory tells me than around that time the desire of Carol was to be a writer and her job at the militay was just a temporary step in her life plans. I suppose than for modern readership being a writer isn't enough.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Memory tells me than around that time the desire of Carol was to be a writer and her job at the militay was just a temporary step in her life plans. I suppose than for modern readership being a writer isn't enough.
    Especially not when they want to see you punch people and not have much of a life/career outside being a Superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Especially not when they want to see you punch people and not have much of a life/career outside being a Superhero.
    Peter Parker should learn from Carol. Having a real life, what a loser.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I think that is a huge part of the problem with Carol Danvers in her post Binary life. Even when she was written by Brian Reed, she had little civilian life. And that has crossed over into the MCU version which mostly ignored everything from her Ms. Marvel life. Carol was more than just a soldier, and much of that has been lost.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Her being a journalist who covers military, airplanes and space would be a nice middle ground. There are lot of ex military, youtubers and bloggers now. She could become anyone. Adam Driver became an actor, anything is possible

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Yeah, I think that is a huge part of the problem with Carol Danvers in her post Binary life. Even when she was written by Brian Reed, she had little civilian life. And that has crossed over into the MCU version which mostly ignored everything from her Ms. Marvel life. Carol was more than just a soldier, and much of that has been lost.
    I'm curious to see how The Marvels bombing in such spectacular fashion will affect the comic character.