Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    How? Maria is Carol friend and Monica her daughter. They are not that integral and any sense of proper relationship was lost when they aged Monica to be a mature adult. Entire aunt nephew doesn't work when Teyonnah and Brie are same age and Teyonnah looks more mature and Monica herself is a mature intelligent character

My billion dollar question is where is Carol's actual family or friends or romance. Comics Carol would never be this lonely and its unbelievable that somehow Carol is still alone after 30 years.
    This is such a dumb thing to say, I can't even sugarcoat it.
    Maria and Monica aren't integral to Carol's character? The best friend she lived and knew with for years and the child she helped raised who she both considers her family aren't integral to Carol's character?
    Legitimately what is wrong with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I agree.

Don't think it was the place to advance Monica's story -- and especially not Kamala's. I know her character was introduced in CM, but that movie had a lot of flaws -- one of the worst being set 20 years in the past. Also, I'm not feeling Carol as a cosmic character. I love cosmic characters, but I like Carol a little more grounded -- and only occasionally doing the space thing.
    You didn't even watch the movie, so what are you talking about here?
    Like what would you know of Carol's development in the movie? You didn't see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah, that's why they didn't give her friends in the first movie and are having her team up with two other female characters in this one. Because they think Carol needing help makes her weak.
    What are you talking about?
    Carol had friends in the first movie, Fury, Talos, Monica, and Mar-Vell, she very clearly wasn't alone in the first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by StickMin View Post
    This is such a dumb thing to say, I can't even sugarcoat it.
    Maria and Monica aren't integral to Carol's character? The best friend she lived and knew with for years and the child she helped raised who she both considers her family aren't integral to Carol's character?
    Legitimately what is wrong with you?

You didn't even watch the movie, so what are you talking about here?
    Like what would you know of Carol's development in the movie? You didn't see it.

What are you talking about?
    Carol had friends in the first movie, Fury, Talos, Monica, and Mar-Vell, she very clearly wasn't alone in the first movie.
    I was being sarcastic.

Astonishing Member

My billion dollar question is where is Carol's actual family or friends or romance. Comics Carol would never be this lonely and its unbelievable that somehow Carol is still alone after 30 years.
    Comics Carol has a much richer history. I haven't loved what they've done with her since becoming Captain Marvel, but it doesn't negate her history. MCU Carol doesn't have a lot going for her aside from powers.

BANNED

Again you haven't seen the movie so what would you know what Carol has going for her or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I was being sarcastic.
    It's hard to tell, because people say things like that unironically.

How? Maria is Carol friend and Monica her daughter. They are not that integral and any sense of proper relationship was lost when they aged Monica to be a mature adult. Entire aunt nephew doesn't work when Teyonnah and Brie are same age and Teyonnah looks more mature and Monica herself is a mature intelligent character

Don't forget Carol in the movies has a power the comics version doesn't have - extended lifespan. She hasn't aged in 30 years, and she must be pushing 60. Comics Carol is nearer to 40. So MCU Carol would probably be worried about people growing old while she stays young.

Also, her comics best friend is Jessica Drew, and Spider-Woman isn't in the MCU.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

This reminds me how Carol didn't mention her brothers once the moment her half-sister turned up. You'd think she didn't have any other remaining family members.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Having Kamala and Monica in this hurt Carol's chance for needed character development. Like Carol should have had this movie about her finally dealing with the Kree for good not a wacky space romp with two co leads. Now she might not even come back.
    I have not seen the second movie, but I did see the first. I am not a fan of MCU Carol Danvers. I'm even less of a fan of Monica Rambeau's reimagined history in the MCU. But as for the comics, I was a huge fan of Carol when she first became Ms. Marvel. And I am an even bigger fan of Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel/Photon/Spectrum/or whatever other codename they take and give her.

Fortunately, Marvel/MCU isn't writing movie scripts to appeal to someone like me. It would be extremely tough sledding. Damn near impossible, in fact. But that they apparently aren't faring much better with younger audiences, many of whom are completely unaware of the comic book history of both characters, speaks volumes.

I want The Marvels to succeed, if only because there are many that will likely blame the presence of Monica and Kamala if it doesn't. It looks like we're already headed down that slope and over the cliff in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This reminds me how Carol didn't mention her brothers once the moment her half-sister turned up. You'd think she didn't have any other remaining family members.
    to be fair, most of her family is dead, her childhood kinda sucked because all of the abuse, and her remaining brother isn't a very interesting character. maybe she just doesn't mention it because it's too painful for her?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShatteredReality View Post
    to be fair, most of her family is dead, her childhood kinda sucked because all of the abuse, and her remaining brother isn't a very interesting character. maybe she just doesn't mention it because it's too painful for her?
    There is nothing wrong with visiting your non-interesting brother to get a break from all the problems of the super hero life.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShatteredReality View Post
    That doesnt mean they still dont pop up in her flashback scenes. Plus I find it difficult to believe her entire family evil. Plus nothing in first Flash back scene suggest she was abused, just she had difficulty growing up as a Tomboy

That doesnt mean they still dont pop up in her flashback scenes. Plus I find it difficult to believe her entire family evil. Plus nothing in first Flash back scene suggest she was abused, just she had difficulty growing up as a Tomboy
    Sorry I was talking about the comics

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She doesn't have many. Both of her parents and one of her brothers are dead. Her relationship with her surviving brother, Joe Jr, has been rather estranged through the years -- they don't talk a lot or spend much time together.

Marvel was already aware than the Marvels will don't work (it's not really a surprise with the lack of promo):

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ls-1235645119/

" But it wasn’t the first warning sign that something was amiss within Marvel in terms of quality control as Feige’s team went into overdrive producing shows for streaming; features Eternals and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantamania were also slapped with B CinemaScore, while audiences began complaining about keeping up with an increasing number of shows on Disney+ to understand the overarching MCU story."

"Behind the scenes, Marvel Studios and Disney were well aware The Marvels was in trouble before it hit the big screen. There was also a recognition that Feige and his team needed time to take a stock of their theatrical tentpoles, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. On Nov. 8, Bob Iger said during on an earnings call that Disney’s movie empire has “lost focus” because of an emphasis on quantity over quality in the rush to feed Disney+ under the Bob Chapek regime (though it was Iger himself who initiated this push before Chapek’s reign.) Feige and his team felt this mandate keenly, to detriment of Marvel’s movies, sources say."

" Rather than being a straight-up sequel to the billion-dollar blockbuster Captain Marvel, The Marvels is something of a mashup. In the movie, Larson is joined by Iman Vellani, the breakout star of the Disney+ series Ms. Marvel, as well as WandaVision‘s Teyonah Parris as the grown-up version of Captain Marvel character Monica Rambeau. Mixing and matching characters for sequels is a game plan Marvel has used in the past on films like Captain America: Civil War, which featured nearly every Marvel character imaginable, but to much different results, grossing $1.15 billion in 2016.

“Why not simply make Captain Marvel 2? Why produce The Marvels when your audience identified, empathized, and even hero-identified with Brie Larson’s character? More importantly, why offer people similar or the same characters and stories that are on Disney+ if you expect them to go to a theater together? Disney/Marvel diluted their product,” says one film producer. “Of course, a picture works or fails for other reasons too, but losing so much value picture-over-picture is rare and hard to do.”

I feel they have sacrified somehow the Marvels with this mix between tv shows and movies, it's clearly the main reason of the bad box office imo (with the stike), but Disney plus is more important (in term of moneys etc...).
    Last edited by Bolo; 11-14-2023 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    She doesn't have many. Both of her parents and one of her brothers are dead. Her relationship with her surviving brother, Joe Jr, has been rather estranged through the years -- they don't talk a lot or spend much time together.
    I felt like their moms' death brought them closer a little, but I guess not.

Just felt like it would've been nice to see her try and meld her Kree and Earth families together instead of just her gal pals.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Kamala has her big family which is big part of her story. Monica similarly is trying to get over the death of her Mom and how she was not there when she died and then you have Carol who simply seem to have willed herself to existence considering there is nothing about her family, friends or relatives other than Maria.

Maybe she is an Orphan but how can orphan get into cart racing and stuff when she was young. Nothing about her flashback suggest she was raised in orphanage. Considering how family was a big part of the other two characters and loneliness was Carol's problem. I dont understand how the writers of the movie don't even give a hint.