Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'm pretty sure Rogue wouldn't even have appeared in Ms. Marvell and that she was created to be a Ms. Marvel antagonist after Carol was exiled into Limbo. I know Marvel created a couple of Ms. Marvel stories that show Rogue with Mystique and Destiny , but only issue #24 was completed when Ms. Marvel was cancelled -- and the stories showing how Rogue came to ambush Carol were created years after Ms. Marvel was cancelled.

And recall that Dave Cockrum had just designed Carols' new black costume for issue #20. The book was cancelled after issue #23 was published. So very unlikely any more changes were in the works.

So, no. I don't think Claremont had any intention of changing Carol into Binary when he was writing Ms. Marvel. It is surprising this hasn't been covered in an interview with Claremont. Maybe he doesn't do interviews?

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    So, no. I don't think Claremont had any intention of changing Carol into Binary when he was writing Ms. Marvel. It is surprising this hasn't been covered in an interview with Claremont. Maybe he doesn't do interviews?
    Claremont has done plenty of interviews over the years. His work outside of X-men isnt typically covered though

Is that Sasquatch ?

Astonishing Member

I wondered that too. It would make sense--the two of them have history from when Carol was commanding Alpha Flight. If it is Walter Langkowski his hair should be green, since he's still in Doc Samson's body, as far as we know....unless the two of them finally got their bodies swapped back between stories. Or unless Walt dyed his hair, perhaps.

I know Samson is a gamma like Hulk, but is Sasquatch? Alpha Flight has strong links with the X-Men, so I'm wonder if Walt could've got his own body back via resurrection.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I know Samson is a gamma like Hulk, but is Sasquatch? Alpha Flight has strong links with the X-Men, so I'm wonder if Walt could've got his own body back via resurrection.
    Yes, Sasquatch's powers resulted from gamma radiation. I doubt Walter would have used the mutant resurrection technique for getting his body back. For one thing, he's personally well off in the current status quo -- he's got Leonard Samson's powerful body without any of the complications or consequences of being linked to Tanaraq. Plus that wouldn't do anything to fix Samson being stuck in Sasquatch's body unless both of them committed suicide to be reborn by mutant resurrection.

This was a fun first issue to the mini. A lot of dialogue. The first story was kind of cute seeing Carol go to her home town but there were two points i found myself waiting with baited breath on where i was like i really hope they aren't about to have her do Rhodey dirty again. thankfully she didn't and it turned into an ok story. I don't really get how her doing rescuing the boat is "Without using her powers" as i don't really get the idea that she can just turn her power off and be normal strength carol, i mean maybe consciously lower it but it really felt like a stretch but that could just be my brain over thinking. Always like to see Carol/Spiderwoman together so that was nice as well and the art fit the book very well. Definitely going to stick around for the next issue.

I also don't get the alchohol thing. Again i could be overthinking it but as soon as see lit up i would imagine it would burn through any liquor in her system immediately but i do get the idea that even if that was the case a dangerous habit or disease is still a disease so it makes sense to not drink.

I also like we are starting to see some humans actually do hate tech though and i thought the nitro story was particularly funny and connects a bit to real life and believing what you want rather than what is true or you see. lol

some scenes that stood out for me.

theyrightbutcarolbetterthanme.jpg
    shedontevenrememberlol.jpg
    spiderwoman.jpg
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-05-2023 at 01:05 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quick question, did she always have eye lasers or is that just a new thing?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Quick question, did she always have eye lasers or is that just a new thing?
    They are a fairly new thing, but she has used that ability before this miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I don't really get how her doing rescuing the boat is "Without using her powers" as i don't really get the idea that she can just turn her power off and be normal strength carol, i mean maybe consciously lower it but it really felt like a stretch but that could just be my brain over thinking.
    Yes, her strength is an inherent part of her, but I think what she meant by "no powers" was that she brought in the boat using normal person techniques. She rode a boat out in the storm, and she tied the line, etc. She didn't just fly out there and scoop the boat out of the water and carrying it back to dock on her shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I also don't get the alchohol thing. Again i could be overthinking it but as soon as see lit up i would imagine it would burn through any liquor in her system immediately but i do get the idea that even if that was the case a dangerous habit or disease is still a disease so it makes sense to not drink.
    Carol used to think that would be the case too, back when she was drinking. She made the excuse that her human/Kree hybrid physiology wouldn't be affected by alcohol the same way, and it wouldn't be a problem. Turns out she was very very wrong in that assumption...to the point where one doctor warned her that another drink at that point would literally kill her. So whatever special qualities her unique physiology and her powers provide, it doesn't change the way her body metabolizes alcohol.

Dark Tempest #2 second printing cover. For some reason it shows Carol as Ms. Marvel?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Dark Tempest #2 second printing cover. For some reason it shows Carol as Ms. Marvel?
    Still love this look .

Astonishing Member

I guess it's too sexy by today's standards, but it's still a phenomenal design. Current designers tend to add too many unnecessary elements.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

There are no accidents - Master Oogway

But seriously brings so much nostalgia seeing this cover. Too bad we will never see this or other Ms Marvel costumes in MCU

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I guess it's too sexy by today's standards, but it's still a phenomenal design. Current designers tend to add too many unnecessary elements.
    It is a great design, which is why Kurt Busiek created his new Warbird character in THE MARVELS (the comic book, not the upcoming movie) to wear it.

Unfortunately one of the big reasons it needed to be taken away from Carol was that too many artists were taking it from "sexy" to "trashy" by having it start covering less and less of her buttocks. There were some shots of her from the back where it was practically being turned into a thong rather than a full "swimsuit". There are some characters where such a look might actually be appropriate or in-character, but Carol Danvers is not one of them! Carol taking on the mantle of Captain Marvel provided the perfect in-story justification for giving Carol a new look that couldn't be so easily over-sexualized by some artists.