Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    Well... *raises finger and fixes her glass*
    Nichelle Nichols, Mrs Uhura herself:

We went from "we asked for the female crew members to wear short dresses to empower us" to... "Saldana!Uhura in the skirt is sexist"
    So yes, in our society there is a trend that is percolating in media.

Which doesn't negate that in the 90s comic book artist went too far. There's a middle ground between Lady Death and Carol's uniform with jacket in the most recent #1 issue of her solo title, but Marvel seems to running toward the "cover thyself!" side. Not to say all female superheroes wear male uniform, mind me, but there's a feeling that superwomen (unless some that cannot change their costumes for IP reasons - see Psylocke/Kwannon) cannot show their skins, less it's believed demeaning. If I had the body of Ororo Munroe and/or of Carol, including force and invulnerability, I would definitely not wear a costume like the aforementioned Carol's (the one with jacket). As long as I didn't risk my "girls" or my "b-side" to pop out of the costume during any altercation, I would definitely go for scant. Not the Kwannon/Elektra, but neither bulk fullbody suit either.
    I think revealing/not revealing costumes should depend on the power (see, Rogue shouldn't go around in a bikini) but also on the personality of the character (I don't perceive, say, Rachel Summers as someone who would wear something revealing a la Kwannon), and obviously religious beliefs/customs if applicable. Same should apply to men (more flamboyant and/or stylish characters vs more military-minded (Cyclops and unpowered!Iceman should've have the same tastes in uniforms).

*runs away*
    This is a stance I agree with. But we both know the most vocal critics of Carol and other female characters' modern costumes don't take into account powers and personality when they're complaining about her not showing enough skin. Because if you take all those into account, her Warbird and modern costumes make much more sense for her.

Yeah, she's ex-Air Force, and she's depicted as having been a tomboy as a kid. For her, that black suit is probably a folly of her youth. That's why giving it to a younger hero would make more sense than the now 40ish Carol reverting to it. In fact, Kamala threw a lampshade on it in her first arc - shapeshifted into Carol in that costume, she realised that it gave her a wedgie, the boots were hard to walk in, and the hair gets in her face (though that line was almost certainly written before any art was ready, as her original concept art shows her with shorter hair than she ended up having). Carol's probably more comfy in what she wears now!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Human customs and behaviors comes and goes. To the orgiastic romans were followed by the demure christian and then it came the quatroccento with their eccentricities and puritanism. It always comes and goes. Eventually there will come a new more liberal way to see the world and today puritans will be mocked in books and whatever movies people will do in the future.

Maybe in th efuture someone will do a movie about Carol Danvers with the black suit being more comic accurate. Who knows.
    I just wonder if Carol still have future in the MCU if the thend continues as is going or if it will change in the next week. It can't lose against the Hunger games, right?
    Whatever her performance in theaters, I think she will have a future but the reboot of the MCU after Secret Wars, now that would be interesting to know what version of Carol that will be, I think Marvel will try something very different this time.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

I don't understand why people think, being a military means Carol don't have fashion sense or feminity. Ultimately, Carol is a fantasy. The fantasy is kick bad guys while looking good.

Ultimately, I am not seeing many woman/ girls dressed as Captain Marvel compared to more feminine dress of other heroines. The current design is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    I don't understand why people think, being a military means Carol don't have fashion sense or feminity. Ultimately, Carol is a fantasy. The fantasy is kick bad guys while looking good.

Ultimately, I am not seeing many woman/ girls dressed as Captain Marvel compared to more feminine dress of other heroines. The current design is not working.
    I think that lot of peoples have simply their favorite Carol, my favorite is the Black costume (but I have a soft for the Farrah Fawcett look and the Binary ones), I agree that just a fantasy, and everybody have accepted that with WW (in Movie or tv show) or Power Girl for example I find Zoe cosplay classic Ms Marvel costume really cool for the Ms Marvel tv show:

https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/2...=0.606:1,smart

If Brie didn't return after Secret Wars, and they will do the Black Costume, which kind of actress would you like for the role ? I mean a classic actress or more a model ones (or another choices) ? Have you already some favorites choices ?
    Last edited by Bolo; 11-12-2023 at 09:05 AM.

Back in the day this was her reaction to the Cockrum suit:

was it ever explained why carol moved out of the statue of liberty into a ...random house? where is the house, anyway? the one with the secret underground base

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    I think that lot of peoples have simply their favorite Carol, my favorite is the Black costume (but I have a soft for the Farrah Fawcett look and the Binary ones), I agree that just a fantasy, and everybody have accepted that with WW (in Movie or tv show) or Power Girl for example I find Zoe cosplay classic Ms Marvel costume really cool for the Ms Marvel tv show:

https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/2...=0.606:1,smart

If Brie didn't return after Secret Wars, and they will do the Black Costume, which kind of actress would you like for the role ? I mean a classic actress or more a model ones (or another choices) ? Have you already some favorites choices ?
    If Disney reboots MCU after Secret wars, it will take atleast a decade for Carol to come back. Will I be even alive or intrested in new movies..

I really hope,, that they somehow salvage Current Carol. I have some hope left in Destin who is director of Kang Dynasty. Maybe he could perform a final miracle
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 11-12-2023 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Back in the day this was her reaction to the Cockrum suit:

Just Marvelous

If Disney reboots MCU after Secret wars, it will take atleast a decade for Carol to come back. Will I be even alive or intrested in new movies..

I really hope,, that they somehow salvage Current Carol. I have some hope left in Destin who is director of Kang Dynasty. Maybe he could perform a final miracle
    No I don't think that will take a decade to reintroduce her, the reboot will probably be with multi seasons tv shows so that easier to have a new Carol, specially if Rogue is introduced, like a live version of X-Men tas.

Carol is fine in the MCU ( no need to "save" her)and probably will have a good role in Kang Dynasty but if you want the classic Ms Marvel that will be with a reboot.
    Last edited by Bolo; 11-12-2023 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShatteredReality View Post
    was it ever explained why carol moved out of the statue of liberty into a ...random house? where is the house, anyway? the one with the secret underground base
    Doesn't she have an apartment?

I totally forgot about the statue of liberty thing.

No I don't think that will take a decade to reintroduce her, the reboot will probably be with multi seasons tv shows so that easier to have a new Carol, specially if Rogue is introduced, like a live version of X-Men tas.

Carol is fine in the MCU ( no need to "save" her)and probably will have a good role in Kang Dynasty but if you want the classic Ms Marvel that will be with a reboot.
    I am not looking forward to Carol being depowerd or playing second fiddle to Rogue

I am not looking forward to Carol being depowerd or playing second fiddle to Rogue
    Agreed. I'd only be okay with it if they gave us a Starjammers film with Carol as Binary getting a lot of focus/development.
    Last edited by MsAngel; 11-12-2023 at 11:20 AM.

Well that an important part of her story, that don't mean she will playing second fiddle to Carol, specially if she become Binary like MsAngel have said.

Only if Brie Larson stays on the role.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin