Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    At least future issues are hinting than the personal life of Yuna is more important than Carol's.
    That's an exaggeration. There is a solicit indicating that Yuna's personal life will be involved in a story...which makes sense since Carol and Yuna are now bonded together. Yuna's personal life is something that Carol is going to have to deal with (and vice versa). Just as Mar-Vell and Genis both had to deal with Rick Jones' life when they were bonded to him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    That's an exaggeration. There is a solicit indicating that Yuna's personal life will be involved in a story...which makes sense since Carol and Yuna are now bonded together. Yuna's personal life is something that Carol is going to have to deal with (and vice versa). Just as Mar-Vell and Genis both had to deal with Rick Jones' life when they were bonded to him.
    So, Carol has a sidekick... Heh, all I can say is that thank the M'Kraan Crystal that it's not Kamala Khan.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    So, Carol has a sidekick... Heh, all I can say is that thank the M'Kraan Crystal that it's not Kamala Khan.
    Are you sure? Because both characters would benefit greatly from that setup.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I think it's too early to say one way or another but I think there's a reasonable concern that Yuna might make up 60% of the character focus of this run one way or another even if it's also in relation to her dynamic with Carol.

Although I would kind of want to see a trio of Carol/Yuna/Black Cat or Yuna having to face up to her crimes at least a bit .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Are you sure? Because both characters would benefit greatly from that setup.
    Yeah, I'm simply not feeling the Dragon Ball Z Fusion theme that's going on is all... But, hey! To each his own, right

Merry Christmas Carol Corps. .

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    But in th ecase of Rick Jones and Genis-Vell book, Rick was co-protagonist. Both, Rick and Genies were equally important for the story as Rick was the veterant expert and Genis was the rookie. Like a buddy cop movie. And in the book until the moment, only Yuna's personal life has been explored with more space than Carol's. And really this dynamic don't make Carol character any favor.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 12-26-2023 at 11:46 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Yeah I will wait until this arc ends March hopefully but I'm getting really annoyed Yuna is basically the basis of a Carol book and Carol is barely in it. If this is still about Yuna at the end of the arc, I'm gonna wait until Wong leaves.

I also want to add something: this kind of dynamic is not positive to Carol. it was used in Captain Mar-Vell with Rick Jones because kids then couldn't see themselves in the comic aware Mar-Vell but could play to be Rick Jones; In the case of Jones and Genis, the private life of Rick Jones was the thing more explored than Genis. How much personal life had Genis with Rick? This mechanic is used when the superhero figure have little to none personal life to explore and the human figure is used for that purpose.
    So I think this must be a temporal situation for Carol, before a more positive status quo is set.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Yeah I will wait until this arc ends March hopefully but I'm getting really annoyed Yuna is basically the basis of a Carol book and Carol is barely in it. If this is still about Yuna at the end of the arc, I'm gonna wait until Wong leaves.
    One way or another I think Yuna is going to stick around because she's shaping up to be Carol's new sidekick, whether she takes up a lot of the narrative focus moving forward is another question.

But in th ecase of Rick Jones and Genis-Vell book, Rick was co-protagonist. Both, Rick and Genies were equally important for the story as Rick was the veterant expert and Genis was the rookie. Like a buddy cop movie. And in the book until the moment, only Yuna's personal life has been explored with more space than Carol's. And really this dynamic don't make Carol character any favor.
    To be fair Carol doesn't have a life, she has a backstory. It's not quite the same.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Yuna's personal life is getting explored more at the moment as she is the new character who needs to be established. We know Carol and her life -- but if Yuna is going to be Carol's major sidekick for this run then we do need to spend some time getting to know who she is and give the readers a chance to get invested in her. Assuming the run goes long enough we will likely get back to Carol's personal life more in later issues.

This dynamic provides Carol with a new challenge to deal with, which does provide opportunities for character growth and exploration with her. Carol is a person who is very used to being in control, and having herself bonded to Yuna forces her into a situation where she can't take full control the way she normally would, and requires her to rely on someone else in a new way. Forcing Carol out of her comfort zone and giving her new challenges to deal with is a good thing for generating material for stories and character development.

I don't really want Carol and Yuna to stay bonded indefinitely, but for now it is providing Carol a new challenge to deal with that we've never really seen her have to deal with before....and it is giving Carol and Yuna a chance to bond on a personal level that likely would never happen if they weren't stuck together through the Nega Bands, so when Carol and Yuna are eventually finally freed of the Bands, there will be a relationship in place for Yuna to remain in Carol's supporting cast if desired.

I think I would probably feel more confident if Wong's Carol didn't feel so...clinical, at times.