Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Higher Faster Further Captain Marvel Appreciation 2023

Happy New Year to Captain Marvel fans.

Happy New Year to Carol and the Carol Corps. .

Spectacular Member Maine Starfish's Avatar

haven’t read any of the recent Captain Marvel books, but very much looking forward to the next movie

With issue #49 being an oversized wrap up to the current Brood storyline, do you think they’ll do anything special for #50?

Astonishing Member

I can't imagine that they wouldn't do something big for issue #50, and I believe Kelly Thompson has hinted as much before online. None of Carol's CAPTAIN MARVEL series have made it to issue #50 before, so it is absolutely a milestone that should be celebrated in some way.

I wish the current run had more character development. We've had new situations, new family, new romance (for, like, five minutes), but Carol and her supporting cast has felt pretty static in this book.

Not that it hasn't been fun, but it just feels like going to one thing after another without as much meat as there could be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wish the current run had more character development. We've had new situations, new family, new romance (for, like, five minutes), but Carol and her supporting cast has felt pretty static in this book.

Not that it hasn't been fun, but it just feels like going to one thing after another without as much meat as there could be.
    Hmm. I see what you mean, although I think we have seen Carol have some character evolution as she's struggled with some of her challenges--the "magic trial" arc in particular hinged on her showing some degree of growth and change.

You do have a point though. I think part of the issue is that Carol is just in a pretty stable place at the moment. She's got her alcoholism under control; she's got her superhero career in a good place--she's past the point where she was struggling to 'rebuild' her reputation like she was in Busiek's AVENGERS and IRON MAN run where she'd lost her Binary powers and was trying to reinvent herself as Warbird; or after HOUSE OF M where she was trying to live up to her potential as 'the best hero in the world' that she was in the HoM world. She's Captain Marvel now--she's earned it; she's a mainstay of the Avengers again, and all is good in her hero career.

As for her personal life, her romance is also stable. She and Rhodey are in a good place and neither of them are looking for the relationship to become more than what it is right now since they are both realistic about the fact that they are very duty-driven people. They enjoy each other when they have the time to get together--but both of them will always be busy. Her main friendship is with Jessica Drew...and since Jessica had her own series again up until a few months back, there are limits to what Thompson could really do with that relationship.

The main supporting character where there is real room for improvement is Hazmat. She had an interesting set up at the start of the series...but not much has been done with her since. She's just sort of hung around. Obviously its Carol's book and she's the focus--but hopefully this year Thompson will be able to find the time to do something more substantial with Hazmat to justify her presence in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Hmm. I see what you mean, although I think we have seen Carol have some character evolution as she's struggled with some of her challenges--the "magic trial" arc in particular hinged on her showing some degree of growth and change.

You do have a point though. I think part of the issue is that Carol is just in a pretty stable place at the moment. She's got her alcoholism under control; she's got her superhero career in a good place--she's past the point where she was struggling to 'rebuild' her reputation like she was in Busiek's AVENGERS and IRON MAN run where she'd lost her Binary powers and was trying to reinvent herself as Warbird; or after HOUSE OF M where she was trying to live up to her potential as 'the best hero in the world' that she was in the HoM world. She's Captain Marvel now--she's earned it; she's a mainstay of the Avengers again, and all is good in her hero career.

As for her personal life, her romance is also stable. She and Rhodey are in a good place and neither of them are looking for the relationship to become more than what it is right now since they are both realistic about the fact that they are very duty-driven people. They enjoy each other when they have the time to get together--but both of them will always be busy. Her main friendship is with Jessica Drew...and since Jessica had her own series again up until a few months back, there are limits to what Thompson could really do with that relationship.

The main supporting character where there is real room for improvement is Hazmat. She had an interesting set up at the start of the series...but not much has been done with her since. She's just sort of hung around. Obviously its Carol's book and she's the focus--but hopefully this year Thompson will be able to find the time to do something more substantial with Hazmat to justify her presence in the book.
    Yeah, it's not that I want her life shaken up for the sake of it but it does make things feel a little...static, I guess? Especially because they don't dive that deep into things.

I mean, the whole "breakup" storyline with Rhodey was sloppily executed and basically pointless in the end and I'm still kind of indifferent to the relationship. And Hazmat definitely deserves to do more than stand around and quip (which a lot of characters in this run do).

But I can see the appeal of Carol as a powerful and capable Superheroine who has her life together, though admittedly I also enjoyed how much of a hot mess she was as Ms. Marvel.

Leaks say that spoilers:
    that prince she's married to is an accidental political marriage, and they're actually good platonic friends. So they might still be setting up a lesbian Carol in the MCU.

Also she sings, apparently.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Leaks say that spoilers:
    that prince she's married to is an accidental political marriage, and they're actually good platonic friends. So they might still be setting up a lesbian Carol in the MCU.

Also she sings, apparently.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It's basically that Lila Cheney issue from the KSD run.
    end of spoilers

Still want the old origin back. We can keep the new characters, but with changes made to their backstories because hey, it's Carol we're all here for.
    Last edited by LordUltimus; 01-11-2023 at 03:17 PM.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

still very much enjoying the 'new' Carol adventures.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Fly HIGH CAPTAIN MARVEL as the new leader of the AVENGERS....

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

"Some of Marvel’s greatest icons will assemble when they’re gifted with knowledge of The Tribulation Events, a series of grand-scale disasters that will spark upheaval throughout the known universe," reads Marvel's announcement.

Along with the so-called hat "Missing Moment" we mentioned is part of the overarching story of MacKay's upcoming Avengers run, which involves Kang seeking a missing moment in time, while the Avengers themselves must survive the first of the Tribulation Events, "The Fall of the Impossible City," as named by Marvel's announcement.

Avengers #1 goes on sale May 17.

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-aveng...aunch-line-up/
    Last edited by Thirteen; 01-21-2023 at 05:30 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

It'll be interesting to see Carol leading the team. I guess that hasn't really happened since Mighty Avengers.

I know I complained about this on Spacebattles and on a Discord server, but I really hate it.

Carol Danvers has a history of being sexually assaulted. But in the previous storyline where Vox Supreme was gathering up all the "Marvels", why was she defeated by slime monster Mar kissing her (sexual assault yay!!!). Like, seriously she's tougher than that. I don't see her being taken down by a single kiss. And given her history, it's really tasteless.

Well, at least she wasn't brainwashed this time?