Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Default Grant Morrison's New X-Men

I was thinking about buying the New X-Men omnibus on amazon. It entails all of Morrison's run on the comic and none of the later retcons Marvel added to it after he left. Has anyone read New X-Men, and is it a good collection to have?

My previous X-perience with X-Men would be 80's Uncanny X-Men (John Byrne) and Ultimate X-Men (Mark Millar).

It's a distinctive run that's had a large impact on the direction of the X-books. Some parts are very good, others are questionable (and led to confusing retcons) but on the whole it's a series worth reading.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Other than Claremont I'd say his run was the one which was most influential in shaping the X-Men. His writing is full of ideas, (some brilliant; others missing a bit especially towards the end) and it still feels fresh and vital. His run definitely has a sense of purpose and urgency; which is missing at the moment. He's also (bonus) quite a funny writer in a sharp kind of way. I'd definitely recommend checking it out.
    "Self has no time for this."

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

It's a good run. It changed the dynamic of the team from superheroes in a school by making every member a teacher and not just the professor. Also started the current trend of frequent new students in higher volumes then ever before.

Personally I like how the books were before, but Morrison is a good run to get for x-men fans
    X-Men Forever

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Thanks for the info. I read a few of New X-Men back in the day. I had stopped reading X-Men during the late 90's and was totally lost. I'm trying to catch up on what I missed over the past decade. I'll be getting New X-Men for sure.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Thanks for the info. I read a few of New X-Men back in the day. I had stopped reading X-Men during the late 90's and was totally lost. I'm trying to catch up on what I missed over the past decade. I'll be getting New X-Men for sure.
    New X-Men is fabulous. Morrison really did do pretty solid, entertaining work.

I very much enjoyed Morrison's New Xmen. I'd recommend it.

Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

Finished the first volume a few weeks ago and loved it. Very interesting and is much better than anything going on in today's X-Books. Going to get Volume 2 as soon as I get paid.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

What reading the book now doesn't capture for me is the excitement I had when the books were originally coming out (horrifically late for the first few issues!)

After years of editorially-driven clap-trap (with some nice bits and pieces here and there) during the nineties, it was a shot in the arm, and I felt like I didn't need to hide the fact I read X-Men comics from comics snobs.

Did it all work? No, and the wrecking ball Marvel took to it afterwards suggests Morrison made too many changes to the status quo (and he was very unhappy for the last year of his work) for Marvel's liking.

It's a solid body of work, some of it very good indeed. It's been diluted a lot by retcons over the years. It's also incredibly divisive amongst X-loyalists.

If you can get a copy of Morrison's original pitch it's well worth reading.

BANNED

I've never heard of it, what issues is it and does it have any MAGNETO, MASTER OF MAGNETISM!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    I've never heard of it, what issues is it and does it have any MAGNETO, MASTER OF MAGNETISM!
    YES! It has the best Magneto story ever!

New X-Men is basically X-Men volume 2, just retitled for our fabulous comic diva from the 5th dimension Grant Morrison.
    His run runs from issues 114 to 154 (40 issues + Annual by Yu).

It's infamous for having Morrison go all-out to try to destroy Magneto's character because he hated Mags. That's what the retcons are about.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

It took over the adjectiveless X-Men book for #114-154 (155 and 156 were done by Chuck Austen, and are, like all his X-work, not worth reading).

At the time yes it had Magneto, it was later retconned to explicitly NOT be Magneto (or anything one can comprehend without omni-malevolent bar-charts, quantum flow charts and a degree in lunacy) as Marvel didn't see much value in having a flagship character be a mass murderer.

Other retcons were more because Marvel didn't like mutants being relevant and hip - you cant sell Avengers tat when they're not the most popular.

"Sir - the X-Men are relevant and selling comics!"
    "Dammit. That'll harm the Avengers. Get me the current Avengers writer and lets have him destroy the mutants"
    "Yessir"
    Last edited by Captain Buttocks; 10-14-2014 at 04:56 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    It's infamous for having Morrison go all-out to try to destroy Magneto's character because he hated Mags. That's what the retcons are about.
    He didn't hate Magneto. That is just complete malarkey.
    Nor was his character and integrity in any way destroyed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    New X-Men is basically X-Men volume 2, just retitled for our fabulous comic diva from the 5th dimension Grant Morrison.
    His run runs from issues 114 to 154 (40 issues + Annual by Yu).
    It sounds FANTASTIC!!!!!

I just won the first trade from eBay for £60! Can't wait to read it!!! These new characters look amazing!