Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Some random Shang-Chi thoughts:

I've posted how Shang-Chi should start to train an elite group of warriors in his Five Weapons Society. That begs the question of who should be training his warriors. Being that he's progressive and forward thinking, Shang would probably enlist the help of outside Marvel martial artists. I feel a good candidate for that would be Echo:

Definitely talented and someone who could offer a different perspective on Shang's organization. Furthermore, I think she would have a good relationship with Zhilan. Indeed, she's an amazing pianist:

I think Zhilan would appreciate that musical talent and even turn it into solidified something. There could be a sisterhood there. Maybe something more. We'll see.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I've been saying for years that Mr. X should be Shang-Chi's foe:

Why? Because Mr. X would just offend and anger Shang-Chi on so many levels. The fact that this guy is martial arts serial killer would just disgust Shang:

"I am a man of peace."

The fact that Mr. X is that damn good too would offend Shang:

From the narration, one sees how Taskmaster has Shang-Chi's moves. And Mr. X just countered them easily. I could see Mr. X trying to take over the Five Weapons Society and annoying and harassing Shang every step of the way. This would build to a final fight between the two that would be epic.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Some random Shang-Chi thoughts:

I've posted how Shang-Chi should start to train an elite group of warriors in his Five Weapons Society. That begs the question of who should be training his warriors. Being that he's progressive and forward thinking, Shang would probably enlist the help of outside Marvel martial artists. I feel a good candidate for that would be Echo:

Definitely talented and someone who could offer a different perspective on Shang's organization. Furthermore, I think she would have a good relationship with Zhilan. Indeed, she's an amazing pianist:

I think Zhilan would appreciate that musical talent and even turn it into solidified something. There could be a sisterhood there. Maybe something more. We'll see.
    Even better, she's not the Phoenix anymore!

I'd never heard of Mr X before? how far does he go back? Has he ever had a presence beyond that particular arc? I presume that was Wolverine's solo series.

how often has there been a Chinese New Year adventure featuring Shang?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'd never heard of Mr X before? how far does he go back? Has he ever had a presence beyond that particular arc? I presume that was Wolverine's solo series.
    Mr. X is something of a paper tiger, though. He was talked up as this insanely talented martial artist who knew ALL the styles, with a gimmick that made him undefeatable, but that was only in his first couple of appearances. After that, he was defeated by Iron Fist using a fairly traditional kung-fu style (Drunken Fist), Quicksilver by sheer speed, and Amadeus Cho with a quiver of arrows:

Frankly, I've always founf the character overrated.

He was formidable when he was first written by his creator, who was, irrc, Tieri. Every writer past that has treated him as a disposable mook. It's a pity, really, the character concept has potential, but no writer other than his creator has the slightest interest in exploring that.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    He was formidable when he was first written by his creator, who was, irrc, Tieri. Every writer past that has treated him as a disposable mook. It's a pity, really, the character concept has potential, but no writer other than his creator has the slightest interest in exploring that.
    Well, part of the problem is that his concept pretty much REQUIRES him to job, eventually.

"I'm a supervillain with unbeatable martial arts skills!" basically makes him unusable, UNLESS the hero finds a way to beat him. (Tieri had Logan use the old "berserker rage" bit). But of course, once he's been defeated the first time, he's no longer unbeatable, and his utility derives from character, not powers.

And Mister X didn't really HAVE much of a personality, outside of being arrogant because of his skills. And without those skills... he's nobody.

Personally, if I was going to have Shang-Chi recruit other characters to teach the 5WS, I'd go for ones who's combat styles are somewhat unusual, either due to their background or physiology, like Puck from Alpha Flight or El Aguila.

Astonishing Member

He was a member of the Thunderbolts for a while during the "Dark Reign" era. His most recent appearance I am aware of is an AVENGERS UNLIMITED Infinity Comic arc where he had a rematch against Quicksilver.

how often has there been a Chinese New Year adventure featuring Shang?
    A Chinese New Year story would be excellent. That is the quintessential Chinese family holiday. Shang's stories are becoming very centered on family, so a CNY holiday story would be good.

As for Mr. X, his background is explored in several issues of Frank Tieri's run on Wolverine which were collected in a TPB called "The Best There Is":

In terms of his defeats, I acknowledge those. I think that he's probably gotten better since then. I think he's learned how to choose opponents who aren't superhumans while also improve his skills to counter Drunken Fist. Ultimately though Mr. X would be defeated by Shang-Chi. I think the story featuring the two would be amazing. Again, they are diametrically opposite. Mr. X is serial killer. He has learned martial arts in order to better satiate his murdering tendencies. He claims the title of being "The Best There Is." For me, that is in opposition to Shang-Chi. Shang has learned the martial arts in order to defend, protect, and honor his family's obligations. At his very best, I think Shang really enjoys the martial arts. Shang has learned how to be open to the world and feel a sense of oneness with everyone through Kung Fu. He is the "Master Of Kung Fu" but he is compassionate towards everyone. That is in direct conflict with Mr. X.

It's Shang's selflessness vs. Mr. X's selfishness.

That's why I keep pushing for a meeting between the two.

Personally, if I was going to have Shang-Chi recruit other characters to teach the 5WS, I'd go for ones who's combat styles are somewhat unusual, either due to their background or physiology, like Puck from Alpha Flight or El Aguila.
    Bro those choices are so cool. While it would be great to have Echo, Daredevil, or Iron Fist serve as teachers for the Five Weapons Society, those choices are unexpected yet still fitting.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 05-29-2023 at 01:02 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

Bro those choices are so cool. While it would be great to have Echo, Daredevil, or Iron Fist serve as teachers for the Five Weapons Society, those choices are unexpected yet still fitting.
    Thanks. The way I see it, you aren't going to get better at martial arts if your new teachers share the same sort of background. So anything derived from traditional Chinese martial arts (including many Japanese styles) would be right out. Hence, I thought of Western styles, and the biggest HEMA in the MU is fencing.

(There are a few broadsword users around, like Black Knight & Swordsman, but they tend to have their own baggage. And almost all the staff & spear fighters are Asian).

As for Puck... who better to teach how to fight an opponent smaller than you than a nigh-immortal bar brawler.

Hi all. Just some Shang-Chi thoughts:

- I wrote before how Shang-Chi faces both allyship and betrayal in his father's organization. There is what he feels the organization should be and there are what others feel it should be. In the future, this idea of who can you trust should be a part of the series. Betrayal and backstabbing always make for great drama. How Shang-Chi handles it would make for great stories. There would be drama in outside circumstances forcing him to become paranoia and lose control. Indeed, I think Shang is aware of what has happened to other would be leaders, like Punisher and Daredevil. The Hand and the Fist have collapsed and there was a lot of turmoil for them. Plus, I think he's aware of how his father ran things. Intimidation, violence, harshness, cruelty, that's how Zheng Zu kept order in the Five Weapons Society.

Does a similar fate lay in store for Shang? Does he have to be like his father? Seeing Shang lose control, both in the organization and emotionally, would be intriguing. At the same time, part of me thinks he has considered betrayal. If someone were to oust him as leader of the Five Weapons Society, he'd probably escape, regroup, get the help of fellow superhero friends like the Avengers, and utterly destroy his group.

Either way, I would like to see this unfold.

- Said before, I'll say it again, Shang has to be in a Triad story. I'm talking a hard boiled, gritty, violent, John Woo, Hong Kong-esque Triad story. Indeed, we saw some of this in the movie when Wenwu took revenge on his wife's killers. Something tells me that Zheng Zu is well versed in working within the criminal underworld. So, would Shang do the same thing? I think he could. To an extent anyway. He'd have to. Dealing in this criminal underworld, strength is what's admired. To get respect, Shang would have do show that violence. And he could demonstrate that. I can envision him walking into a couple of Triad strongholds, clubs and what have you, and viciously breaking arms and legs in order to prove that he's just not something to f with.

We have seen Shang be peaceful. But seeing him...not be violent per se but draw very firm boundaries...that's something I'd like to see.
    "I am a man of peace."

Hi all. Just some Shang-Chi thoughts:

- I wrote before how Shang-Chi faces both allyship and betrayal in his father's organization. There is what he feels the organization should be and there are what others feel it should be. In the future, this idea of who can you trust should be a part of the series. Betrayal and backstabbing always make for great drama. How Shang-Chi handles it would make for great stories. There would be drama in outside circumstances forcing him to become paranoia and lose control. Indeed, I think Shang is aware of what has happened to other would be leaders, like Punisher and Daredevil. The Hand and the Fist have collapsed and there was a lot of turmoil for them. Plus, I think he's aware of how his father ran things. Intimidation, violence, harshness, cruelty, that's how Zheng Zu kept order in the Five Weapons Society.

Does a similar fate lay in store for Shang? Does he have to be like his father? Seeing Shang lose control, both in the organization and emotionally, would be intriguing. At the same time, part of me thinks he has considered betrayal. If someone were to oust him as leader of the Five Weapons Society, he'd probably escape, regroup, get the help of fellow superhero friends like the Avengers, and utterly destroy his group.

Either way, I would like to see this unfold.

- Said before, I'll say it again, Shang has to be in a Triad story. I'm talking a hard boiled, gritty, violent, John Woo, Hong Kong-esque Triad story. Indeed, we saw some of this in the movie when Wenwu took revenge on his wife's killers. Something tells me that Zheng Zu is well versed in working within the criminal underworld. So, would Shang do the same thing? I think he could. To an extent anyway. He'd have to. Dealing in this criminal underworld, strength is what's admired. To get respect, Shang would have do show that violence. And he could demonstrate that. I can envision him walking into a couple of Triad strongholds, clubs and what have you, and viciously breaking arms and legs in order to prove that he's just not something to f with.

We have seen Shang be peaceful. But seeing him...not be violent per se but draw very firm boundaries...that's something I'd like to see.
    Shang can never avoid the games of deceit and death.

Shang has joined the Thunderbolts.
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nkId=224425742
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Ha beat me to it Dignified. Yes, Shang-Chi will be appearing in the new Thunderbolts series coming out in December:

Now, I'll be honest, upon reading about the series, I felt a little disappointed. Yes, it's Shang but he seems a little left out, no? Looking at the image, I feel that he's a little misplaced. Moreover, involved in espionage stuff, I felt that was a step down. Shang is the leader of the Five Weapons Society. He should be in charge, leading teams, conducting missions. He's done espionage already.

Thinking it over though, well, I'm warming up to it. The fact that he's included on the team shows that he's important in the Marvel Universe and to an extent the MCU. This title is trying to get the synergy of the MCU. And quite frankly, among the Marvel movies that have been released post-Endgame, Shang-Chi's is considered by fans to be one of the best. Additionally, alright, we've talked about games of death and deceit. Yes Shang has done espionage, but I'm intrigued to see how he'll do espionage here. It's still worth exploring. Also, there is a lot of history among Shang and these characters. He's already worked with Black Widow and Sharon Carter during Marvel Knights and Secret Avengers. Plus, I hope that we see Shang interact with Bucky. Both are now heads of clandestine organizations. How would they compare their roles and responsibilities? Finally, seeing Shang-Chi in a Marvel title anything is good for the character.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the series. Here's hoping that Shang has a strong presence in it.
    "I am a man of peace."