Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/dawn-of-dc-creator-interview/

Johnson: Yeah, that applies to a lot of different art forms, right? I mean, even games. You pour your life into making a video game for years, and then it hits on one specific day. The next week, everyone's talking about the next thing like no one gives a **** anymore. This though... This mythology just goes on and on and characters like Superman... You're writing a story about this alien who came to us and represents teaching how best to be human. He represents the very best of us in all things. You're writing a Superman story. You're writing your philosophy on humanity. Batman is this whole other thing, like what you can make yourself through force of will, you know, just sheer force of will, and you know, endless money. [laughs]

They're bigger than they are. John Stewart is that for me, too. John Stewart is too often painted as a little one-note, in my opinion. Sometimes he just comes off like he spits out military jargon. I get it. You're writing a team book. You got to give everyone little lines like, "How do I make this feel like this person?" Superman is hopeful, you know? Diana's peaceful, Batman scowls, Flash's fast and quippy! And you know, John Stewart used to be a marine. I want to see more.

I see John as the architect that he was in the beginning and the person who gives their life for the greater good -- the thing larger than himself. His being a marine was part of that, but he's the consummate Lantern -- the one who always should have been a Lantern -- not just with his military background but with his brilliant architect's mind that has been fettered by the concept of three-dimensional space. He's no longer fettered. He's the perfect Lantern, so I'm telling the story of John Stewart that is meant to feel like mythology. I'm telling a story of a Greek god who became a man.
    VERY excited for PKJ on a Stewart Lantern book. The guy is most certainly always completely invested in the characters and stories he writes to an obsessive amount of detail. People always talk about his work building ability (which is truly great) but his character building and establishment is equally top notch. His style seems especially suited for sci-fi and letting him play in the Green Lantern sandbox is exciting for sure. This can’t start soon enough.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

New solicitations are out https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-comics...solicitations/

GREEN LANTERN #2
    Written by JEREMY ADAMS
    Art and cover by XERMANICO
    John Stewart backup written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON
    John Stewart backup art by MONTOS

Variant covers by TONY DANIEL and DARICK ROBERTSON
    1:25 variant cover by RAFAEL SARMENTO
    1:50 variant cover by CULLY HAMNER
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 6/13/23

Hal Jordan’s homecoming is off to a rocky start! Carol Ferris is this close to firing him from the job he’s only just begged his way into, his power ring isn’t exactly working right, and off in the shadows, Sinestro, the architect
    of Hal’s current crisis, is waiting for the perfect moment to strike. Plus, the hard-hitting “John Stewart: War Journal” backup series from writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson and artist Montos heats up as the Guardian John Stewart and his team, the Watchtower, fall under siege from a mysterious new threat!

Oh would you look at that, PKJ is continuing John with his god powers.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

So does this mean that John is officially the Guardian of the Universe?

Was the Watchtower the thing they were setting up in Thorne's run before it all went wrong or an evolution of that?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Oh would you look at that, PKJ is continuing John with his god powers.
    Aha I knew it, PKJ is definitely the kind of writer who continues the last guy's additions and he does love a good sword & fantasy approach as shown by his prior work

Well hopefully this goes better than the time Kyle got God powers

PKJ is the guy who buffed Superman back to All-Star levels and is using Green Scar, the strongest Hulk, for his Hulk run. Not surprising he would carry on where Thorne left John. Just means there has to be threats coming powerful enough to beat John regardless. I’m excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Was the Watchtower the thing they were setting up in Thorne's run before it all went wrong or an evolution of that?
    I *think* this is a new team. I’d love to see John paired with some non-Lantern people for a bit.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    PKJ is the guy who buffed Superman back to All-Star levels and is using Green Scar, the strongest Hulk, for his Hulk run. Not surprising he would carry on where Thorne left John. Just means there has to be threats coming powerful enough to beat John regardless. I’m excited!
    I'm very excited as well. It just shouldn't be a spin off from someone else's book. It should just be its own imo.

And speaking of how he picking up where Thorne left with John, Philip showed a teaser image that looks like a sword. Which is what we've seen often from Thorne's run.

I *think* this is a new team. I’d love to see John paired with some non-Lantern people for a bit.
    The non-lantern I would love to see John paired up with is Hawkgirl

Is that what this is? I couldn’t tell what this was teasing lol:

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Is that what this is? I couldn’t tell what this was teasing lol:

Yep! lol. If you look closely, you can see what seems to be a hand wrap around that green blade.

Here’s the full variant cover:

Here’s the full variant cover:

Dagger construct !

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Dagger construct !
    Is it like a lightsaber? It seems like only the blade is a construct, not the hilt. I do fear for whomever John is stalking though...

Wait a minute. So the name of John's series is called Green Lantern: War Journal? I really hope that's NOT going to be the name of his upcoming series being launched in September. It should be Green Lantern: John Stewart. NOTHING ELSE.

The name, Green Lantern: War Journal, sounds more like a backup series. It doesn't have a strong name attached to it.

Yeah, that sounds a bit generic. Besides "War Journal" sounds like a title more associated with someone like The Punisher than Green Lantern. Still, Phillip Kennedy Johnson should do well with it.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-31-2023 at 06:18 PM.