Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    BANNED

He’ll either end up as War Machine (lame) or Obi Wan, depending on what they do with Hal. Not surprised, since John’s character hasn’t really been fleshed out as an individual, which is why it’s unfortunate when writers squander the opportunities they are given to contribute to the community. Still waiting for the John Stewart story or trade that is as popular or talked about as something like Super Sons.

Starting with the show will get his live action character fleshed out and could ease him into being “deserving” of any positive role he gets. That’s why Sam got Falcon and the Winter Soldier—so that people wouldn’t be going on about how Bucky should be Captain America instead. Ironically though, they used a Yellow Lantern image of John in Gunn’s announcement. Maybe because that version of Hal has no mask, or maybe hinting at John not being a Green Lantern, which is why the show is just called Lanterns. Personally not on board for John being anything but The Green Lantern like he was on the cartoon. Not on board for Earth One, Emerald Knight, or anything else, and I make no apologies for that, nor will I compromise on it.

True Detective S1 is legendary TV. If they could actually capture that magic, people would be highly invested in the characters, but it’ll be an extremely difficult challenge to live up to. The later seasons of True Detective couldn’t even do it. It’s not a negative per Se to move from something small and character focused on HBO to something bombastic in the theater. They have limited time and resources to get these characters and this universe as fleshed out as the MCU. Better that John be McConaughey’s Rust Cohle than Ryan Reynolds’ Green Lantern, Danny Glover’s Murtaugh, or some other alternatives. And yes, John would have to be the Rust Cohle, since Marty Hart and Hal Jordan are both ESFPs, while ISTJ John is closer to the INTP Rust. If they went full personality overhaul John would be more like INTP Michael Holt (comics version of Mr. Terrific) or the INTP Vic Sage Question on JLU, but I don’t think they will go that far. It’s more likely he’ll be an ISTJ still, but more like the one Denzel played in Man on Fire—John Creasy.

Might be cool to see John develop a friendship with Booster Gold in this universe.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-01-2023 at 07:36 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    He’ll either end up as War Machine (lame) or Obi Wan, depending on what they do with Hal. Not surprised, since John’s character hasn’t really been fleshed out as an individual, which is why it’s unfortunate when writers squander the opportunities they are given to contribute to the community. Still waiting for the John Stewart story or trade that is as popular or talked about as something like Super Sons.

Starting with the show will get his live action character fleshed out and could ease him into being “deserving” of any positive role he gets. That’s why Sam got Falcon and the Winter Soldier—so that people wouldn’t be going on about how Bucky should be Captain America instead. Ironically though, they used a Yellow Lantern image of John in Gunn’s announcement. Maybe because that version of Hal has no mask, or maybe hinting at John not being a Green Lantern, which is why the show is just called Lanterns. Personally not on board for John being anything but The Green Lantern like he was on the cartoon. Not on board for Earth One, Emerald Knight, or anything else, and I make no apologies for that, nor will I compromise on it.

True Detective S1 is legendary TV. If they could actually capture that magic, people would be highly invested in the characters, but it’ll be an extremely difficult challenge to live up to. The later seasons of True Detective couldn’t even do it. It’s not a negative per Se to move from something small and character focused on HBO to something bombastic in the theater. They have limited time and resources to get these characters and this universe as fleshed out as the MCU. Better that John be McConaughey’s Rust Cohle than Ryan Reynolds’ Green Lantern, Danny Glover’s Murtaugh, or some other alternatives. And yes, John would have to be the Rust Cohle, since Marty Hart and Hal Jordan are both ESFPs, while ISTJ John is closer to the INTP Rust. If they went full personality overhaul John would be more like INTP Michael Holt (comics version of Mr. Terrific) or the INTP Vic Sage Question on JLU, but I don’t think they will go that far. It’s more likely he’ll be an ISTJ still, but more like the one Denzel played in Man on Fire—John Creasy.

Might be cool to see John develop a friendship with Booster Gold in this universe.
    I think there's an equally large chance Hal will be the Obi-Wan mentor type character and John will be the hero. Or they'll be depicted as equals like Sam Wilson and Bucky (and even then, Sam got to be Cap).

I get what you're saying, but I think it's too early to even guess what the dynamic will be.

I don't think that's the case here. If John was going to end up being War Machine, he certainly wouldn't even be named in James Gunn's reveal.

It’s confirmed that the Lanterns will be showing up in the movies so they’re not being “demoted” per say.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ideally, each Lantern would be like a Starship captain from Star Trek. Each one with their own stories and their own space to tell it. Hal would be the equivalent to Captain Kirk and John would be akin to either Picard or Sisko.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s confirmed that the Lanterns will be showing up in the movies so they’re not being “demoted” per say.
    Right, that would mean they can be potential Justice Leaguers.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-07-2023 at 05:18 AM.

Really wish the forum would be updated to support multiple pics beyond 3 and multiple clips beyond 1.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

Lanterns

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-01-2023 at 01:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member

So far, I'm excited about Lanterns.

After a few false starts, John will finally make a proper live action debut.

If season one is successful, I'm sure the budget will get bigger for more cosmic stories.

Plus, John will be on the small screen and silver screen.

I might be premature saying this: winning!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Lanterns

I remember reading Earth One

How was the reception to volume 2 with John in it? I found him kinda underwhelming in that book.

If John were being demoted, Gunn wouldn't be talking about how whoever plays John and Hal will also be appearing in the movies. The John is being "demoted" thing might make sense in a context that's not in a shared universe where the entire idea is that the story gets told across multiple mediums. If they weren't interested in pushing John they could just... not use him at all.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-07-2023 at 05:20 AM.

James Mangold on Swamp Thing has me hopeful we’ll be seeing similar talent across the board.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Gunn and Safran are literally talking about how Lanterns is very important to the DCU story and they're really excited for the project, and yet some are acting like they still don't care about the GLs just because we'll start with them in a series format.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dc-universe-superman-legacy-batman-green-lantern-supergirl-booster-gold-1235507426/

Of all the TV series, Safran and Gunn seemed most excited for “Lanterns,” which Safran described as “a huge HBO-quality event” that is “very much in the vein of ‘True Detective.'”

The show will focus on two of the best known members of the Green Lantern corps.: Hal Jordan (the test pilot first played on screen by Ryan Reynolds in 2011’s “Green Lantern”) and John Stewart (an ex-marine and one of DC’s first Black superheroes), who investigate a mystery that Safran said “plays a really big role leading us into the main story that we’re telling across our film and television.”

“So this is a very important show for us,” Safran continued.
    How do you decide what’s a TV show and what’s a movie?

Gunn: It’s all story-based. To us storytelling is 100% king. So if it’s a story... that’s more complicated, like the [Green] Lanterns story is more complicated, like the Waller [story], or [if] it’s more of an independent TV vibe like Booster Gold, in a way, then that’s more suited to television. So it has to do with tone. It has to do with storytelling. It has to do with is it something that we can tell in two hours and 10 minutes, or is it something that we need, you know, seven, eight, nine hours for? And we certainly debated with a couple of these where they fit better. But ultimately, this is where we landed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ti-1235314685/

With Gunn and Safran, a new direction is once again being explored. Gunn described it as a “huge HBO TV style event” while Safran said it was a very important and foundational series for their slate.

“This plays a really big role in leading into the main story we are telling across film and TV,” Safran said.

And unlike the casting of the previous actors, who had little chance of seeing themselves on the big screen, the actors who will play the Lanterns will also carry those roles into theaters.

Using the example of John Cena, who played violent character Peacemaker in Gunn’s feature The Suicide Squad, then starred in HBO Max’s spinoff Peacemaker, Safran said, “Anyone we cast as John Stewart and Hal Jordan, they will then cross over into the movie side of things. That’s important to us. We don’t want the series to feel in any way like stepchildren or lesser than. It’s just another way to tell a story.”

The executives are looking forward to using the series format to explore and develop characters, in a way that the movie medium cannot.

“We had in incredible experience with Peacemaker to be able spend eight hours digging deep into the character,” said Safran. “Whereas in a movie you find yourself moving the story along. You don’t have that luxury to spend time with the characters like you would here.”

https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/01/31/t...tv-has-arrived

Safran: The story is going to weave back and forth between the films and the television shows. Peacemaker is a good example of how that works, and that’s what we’re going to do with this big overarching story that we’re telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    If John were being demoted, Gunn wouldn't be talking about how whoever plays John and Hal will also be appearing in the movies. The John is being "demoted" might make sense in a context that's not in a shared universe where the entire idea is that the story gets told across multiple mediums. If they weren't interested in pushing John they could just... not use him at all.
    Agreed. That's how I see it, too.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-07-2023 at 05:21 AM.