Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Default John Stewart: Green Lantern Appreciation 2023

Let's hope 2023 will be a good year for the best Green Lantern, John Stewart. I'm looking forward to John being included in other projects such as animation, comics, video games, and film.

2022 was a good year for John. He was in 2 of his own comic book series (Green Lantern and John Stewart: Emerald Knight), starred in his own DTV animated film (which was a success), and it's been announced in 2022 that he will be the star in the HBO Max Green Lantern Corps series!

I don't think I could've been any happier as a John Stewart fan. The character is getting the push that he deserves.

Happy New Year everyone.

Link to the very old John thread
    Link to the 2018 John thread
    Link to the 2019 John thread
    Link to the 2020 John thread
    Link to the 2021 John thread

Happy New Year to John and his fans .

Happy New Year! Here's to more progress for our guy John.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Really looking forward to PKJ on a GL book. Love his Action Comics and Last God was pretty great. Can't say I've read Alien or 007, but I think he'll have some cool stuff lined up for John Stewart. Def excels at world building, mythos, etc.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

PKJ’s Action run has been amazing. John is in good hands.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Really looking forward to PKJ's run, I hope we continue to get a lot of good John content this year.

Currently reading Engleharts run on GL and man this stuff is SO GOOD. I started with the COIE tie in but I'll back track to read from an earlier starting point but I'm loving what I've read so far. Love John's characterizations and I love the alien cast; Toma-Re, Katma tui, Salaak and Ch'p. Only downside is the whole Arisia business but aside from that, this is everything a GL book should be.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Currently reading Engleharts run on GL and man this stuff is SO GOOD. I started with the COIE tie in but I'll back track to read from an earlier starting point but I'm loving what I've read so far. Love John's characterizations and I love the alien cast; Toma-Re, Katma tui, Salaak and Ch'p. Only downside is the whole Arisia business but aside from that, this is everything a GL book should be.
    That run is probably the best Green Lantern run to me, period. Despite being very dated, which usually manifests in the ultra-hokey villains, it's a lot of fun. It's just a shame the comics are usually not nearly that fun, and it's a bit difficult to understand why. I don't want to take away anything from Englehart and Staton at all, but it's not like they were doing things that were so mind-blowing that they couldn't be topped. Just fun stories with a lot of character and heart that were neat to look at. They made me care about all the characters, and these days they just keep making characters I don't care about. But, of course, everyone has their favorites and their reasons for them.

In any event, it's great that all of that is collected in trade! Those are easily John Stewart's best comics, in my opinion. It's no contest for me. After that comes Mosaic, and a part of me actually likes the 4 parter that kicked it all off in Green Lantern 1990 more than the actual Mosaic series.

It's pretty underrated and doesn't get mentioned all that much.

It was definitely fun and they handled the team dynamic really well! It's fun to see Ch'p and Salaak's interactions, Kilowog's original "gentle giant" persona is so weird to see now, and Guy was an unhinged borderline villain. Then of course we had two power couples with John/Kat and Hal/Arisia. It's just too bad that success was derailed by the horribly executed "Millennium" event where the GLC were front and center.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Englehart & Staton's GL run is very much the reason I'm such a big GL fan, and of John in particular. Despite some truly cringe-worthy moments, there's some amazing stuff in those stories.

What was the starting point of the Enhglart and Staton run? Or should I start from whoever preceded their runs?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

What was the starting point of the Enhglart and Staton run? Or should I start from whoever preceded their runs?
    Issue 188 of Green Lantern is the start of Englehart and Staton's run, and it was re-titled Green Lantern Corps after issue 200. 188-200 are collected in the Sector 2814 trades and they begin at issue 181. The preceding issues are a fun read. Green Lantern Corps 201-206 are collected in Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Vol. 3, 207-215 are collected in Green Lantern Corps: Beware Their Power; I don't think 215-224 are collected anywhere.

BANNED

I really hope PKJ remembers that John is a multifaceted character, not just the boring military guy cliche most modern writers reduce him to.