Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I wouldn't put too much into the placement for now.

I would look at the bigger picture- we are talking about placement on the picture and NOT the fact you have at least 9 black characters in that photo. Nobody is throwing fits about it. Unlike at Marvel where World War 3 would happen like it did in 2015.
    It's positive to see 9 black characters there. But here's the thing you have to look at. It's not really surprising to see your white characters like Diana, Supes, Bats, Shazam!, etc. in the front. It's expected, because they're highly featured in mediums. It logically makes sense. I mean, look at the postings in this John Stewart thread. You see postings of him being featured in at least two video games, announced as a co-lead in HBO Max, had his own animation movie, have multiple solos, including an upcoming one. So what doesn't logically make sense is when you have a black character who is featured everywhere in mediums is behind lesser known characters. This is certainly no disrespect for other characters. What I'm basically saying is that certain other characters will not be treated that way, because DC won't let. So why is it allowed for a character popular like John Stewart (who is black) to be treated that way? If we want to see John be successful, he needs to be shown of more importance and respect, regardless of whatever material he's in. It makes sense for him to be towards the front, and not the back, given his history and popularity. That's all I'm saying.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    it's both.

vic used to be cool but, in order to shove john out of the box established on the tv series in favor of Hal and still retain some color on the Justice league, all this crap was done to cyborg.

vic deserves better. lots better.

and he's never going to get it.

.......... this comment resonated with me quite a bit.

It strikes me as very accurate despite the character being so prominent in non comic merchandising and media (not to mention his upcoming new solo series).

I'd like for you to be wrong.

I hope i'm wrong as well.

"Highlander"
    Don't complain. Create.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    nothing but agreement there and I have pitches in on several of the characters you mentioned.

Part of, not the sole, but part of the reason for the creation of the Emerald Knight(s) is that I saw in GL: MOSAIC, the single hope to pull John out of his perpetual place on Hal's B-Team– a position to which he was re-relegated after the end of JLU. He needs his own space, outside the GL organization, his own powerset, villains, allies and mission or he will ALWAYS be reset as Danny Glover to Hal's Mel Gibson.

Man always respect to the work that you have put in

And I agree 100% on the latter!

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ah yes...John and the goatee .

I like the art. I'm sure it was inspired by JLU.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Has he ever went with the bald goatee look any other time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Has he ever went with the bald goatee look any other time?
    I think in like an Elseworld book, maybe.

John Stewart listed #1 as the most iconic Black DC Superhero and Cyborg is listed #2 in this CBR article. Although, I think Vixen should be higher ranked.

But yeah, when you're very iconic, you should NEVER be back in the furthest, behind newer and lesser knowns. White iconic DC characters don't get treated that way like that, and your black iconic DC characters SHOULDN'T, either.

It's also great to see that John Stewart is listed as #5 as one of the greatest Justice League members by courage: cbr article

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    John Stewart listed #1 as the most iconic Black DC Superhero and Cyborg is listed #2 in this CBR article. Although, I think Vixen should be higher ranked.

But yeah, when you're very iconic, you should NEVER be back in the furthest, behind newer and lesser knowns. White iconic DC characters don't get treated that way like that, and your black iconic DC characters SHOULDN'T, either.

It's also great to see that John Stewart is listed as #5 as one of the greatest Justice League members by courage: cbr article
    Can someone send a note to CBR that Static is NOT owned by DC and has ZERO business on that list.

Funny they only listed folks who are active right now not counting Wallace.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

https://www.cbr.com/dawn-of-dc-creator-interview/

Johnson: Yeah, that applies to a lot of different art forms, right? I mean, even games. You pour your life into making a video game for years, and then it hits on one specific day. The next week, everyone's talking about the next thing like no one gives a shit anymore. This though... This mythology just goes on and on and characters like Superman... You're writing a story about this alien who came to us and represents teaching how best to be human. He represents the very best of us in all things. You're writing a Superman story. You're writing your philosophy on humanity. Batman is this whole other thing, like what you can make yourself through force of will, you know, just sheer force of will, and you know, endless money. [laughs]

They're bigger than they are. John Stewart is that for me, too. John Stewart is too often painted as a little one-note, in my opinion. Sometimes he just comes off like he spits out military jargon. I get it. You're writing a team book. You got to give everyone little lines like, "How do I make this feel like this person?" Superman is hopeful, you know? Diana's peaceful, Batman scowls, Flash's fast and quippy! And you know, John Stewart used to be a marine. I want to see more.

I see John as the architect that he was in the beginning and the person who gives their life for the greater good -- the thing larger than himself. His being a marine was part of that, but he's the consummate Lantern -- the one who always should have been a Lantern -- not just with his military background but with his brilliant architect's mind that has been fettered by the concept of three-dimensional space. He's no longer fettered. He's the perfect Lantern, so I'm telling the story of John Stewart that is meant to feel like mythology. I'm telling a story of a Greek god who became a man.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Can someone send a note to CBR that Static is NOT owned by DC and has ZERO business on that list.

Funny they only listed folks who are active right now not counting Wallace.
    I think Wallace should've definitely been in there. He's pretty popular now.

Static was part of the DCAU and that's what made him even more popular. But even then, it doesn't mean that he was owned by DC. The article should've a little better acknowledgement.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

Johnson: Yeah, that applies to a lot of different art forms, right? I mean, even games. You pour your life into making a video game for years, and then it hits on one specific day. The next week, everyone's talking about the next thing like no one gives a shit anymore. This though... This mythology just goes on and on and characters like Superman... You're writing a story about this alien who came to us and represents teaching how best to be human. He represents the very best of us in all things. You're writing a Superman story. You're writing your philosophy on humanity. Batman is this whole other thing, like what you can make yourself through force of will, you know, just sheer force of will, and you know, endless money. [laughs]

They're bigger than they are. John Stewart is that for me, too. John Stewart is too often painted as a little one-note, in my opinion. Sometimes he just comes off like he spits out military jargon. I get it. You're writing a team book. You got to give everyone little lines like, "How do I make this feel like this person?" Superman is hopeful, you know? Diana's peaceful, Batman scowls, Flash's fast and quippy! And you know, John Stewart used to be a marine. I want to see more.

I see John as the architect that he was in the beginning and the person who gives their life for the greater good -- the thing larger than himself. His being a marine was part of that, but he's the consummate Lantern -- the one who always should have been a Lantern -- not just with his military background but with his brilliant architect's mind that has been fettered by the concept of three-dimensional space. He's no longer fettered. He's the perfect Lantern, so I'm telling the story of John Stewart that is meant to feel like mythology. I'm telling a story of a Greek god who became a man.
    PKJ not the only writer who attempted to make John more than just a Marine. Scott Snyder had those same views, but didn't do much and left John's development unfinished. Van Jensen (excellent writer) had some focus on his architectural side.

Other than that, he sounds like a real serious writer, who's willing to put a lot of investment into the character. I do love what he says in that interview. He's clearly grown to have more fondness to John Stewart. John seems to be his favorite Green Lantern character now, despite growing up with Hal Jordan.

But given his resume and talents, it's such a shame that he's going to be the temporary backup writer. Being regulated to something like that is a distaste. I don't like that at all. DC should do John way better than that if they're serious about pushing him.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

Sounds like PKJ has a good handle on John here and the kind of stories to tell with him .

He's addressed my concern about the military angle overwhelming everything else about the character. Can't wait to see what he has in store.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    He's addressed my concern about the military angle overwhelming everything else about the character. Can't wait to see what he has in store.
    Going “Greek god” with Stewart excites the hell out of me. Definitely seems like we’re getting a very powerful John Stewart to go alongside the powerful Superman and Hulk books he’s also writing. No doubt the Radiant Dead will return too, eager to see them fleshed out so John gets his own enemy faction that isn’t connected to any of the other Lanterns.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/