Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Happy New Year fam! Beena way from CBR for months now but here's to 2023 for John!

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    What was the starting point of the Enhglart and Staton run? Or should I start from whoever preceded their runs?
    Depending on how much money you want to spend, I'd start from GL #182. That's right after Hal quits and John takes over.(with Kat) His storyline as well as Hal's and Guy's all come together to a head in the Crisis tie-in climax leading to GL#200. Then the title is renamed "The Green Lantern Corps" and becomes a team book, but some of the stuff in that run - especially Guy's story - came from the issues leading up to it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Currently reading Engleharts run on GL and man this stuff is SO GOOD. I started with the COIE tie in but I'll back track to read from an earlier starting point but I'm loving what I've read so far. Love John's characterizations and I love the alien cast; Toma-Re, Katma tui, Salaak and Ch'p. Only downside is the whole Arisia business but aside from that, this is everything a GL book should be.
    This is my favorite GL era.

John, Kat, Hal, and Guy are my team. I hope they appear in live action together, along with Kilowog.

Englehart is one of the all-time greats.

Ultimate Member

https://youtu.be/t061A4OgLD0

A Redjack interview about 3 hours.

He does bring up GL Mosaic.

Danny Glover reference

Berlanti renewing his deal with WBD through 2027 is good news for John, means that GL HBO Max show should come out after all.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    https://youtu.be/t061A4OgLD0

A Redjack interview about 3 hours.

He does bring up GL Mosaic.

Danny Glover reference
    How come Mosaic rarely gets mentioned?

Is it cause of the....... unfortunate business with the writer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

Considering you couldn't even bring yourself to say it, yeah - that's likely the reason. Also, it was a long time ago and while it was a good series, it wasn't something that was going to be remembered forever. And then there's the fact that it took place in a bubble - it wasn't the kind of story that had lasting repercussions for the GL mythos or any of the characters. (especially since they took away John's elevation to Guardian status)

Ultimate Member

Probably because almost all those books he did at that time have yet to sniff a trade.

Remember he was doing All of Green Lantern, Guy's book and Justice League as well at that time.

Along with El Diablo-not the one in the Suicide Squad.

And of MAJOR note the ONLY Wonder Man comic. ONLY the Galactic Storm issues are online for Marvel. In fact it's the ONLY stuff of his in trades.

ALOT of those books marked the few times certain characters got any development.

BANNED

Yeah. It's unfortunate because it's an interesting series that really explores John's character. Jones did a number of good comics back then, but I feel a bit icky going back to them now.

BANNED

Mosaic wasn't mentioned much even before Gerard Jones got outted.

Nowadays, the Gerard Jones thing is definitely a contributor to why it's seldom mentioned. And yes, it's old. I imagine there are now many Green Lantern fans that never read it because it lacks relevance and it's difficult to easily get a hold of since one would have to back-issue dive. Or they could pirate, I guess.

Also, it's pretty off-beat. The visuals have a certain appeal, and I found I got used to them, but I can easily see them instantly turning readers off.

One thing I've observed is that some fans just stick to their zones and don't go back and read stuff that came before that, though they often read new comics that come out now. A lot of people came in with the Geoff Johns comics and they seem to have little interest in exploring the comics prior to that.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Proto Man View Post

Nowadays, the Gerard Jones thing is definitely a contributor to why it's seldom mentioned. And yes, it's old. I imagine there are now many Green Lantern fans that never read it because it lacks relevance and it's difficult to easily get a hold of since one would have to back-issue dive. Or they could pirate, I guess.

Also, it's pretty off-beat. The visuals have a certain appeal, and I found I got used to them, but I can easily see them instantly turning readers off.

One thing I've observed is that some fans just stick to their zones and don't go back and read stuff that came before that, though they often read new comics that come out now. A lot of people came in with the Geoff Johns comics and they seem to have little interest in exploring the comics prior to that.
    Some people do have a certain predisposition towards stuff they view as old.

It doesn't help if elements or characters that are popular now don't exist back then. Like if your a Jessica Cruz fan you won't read anything prior to the 2010s or if you are a fan several members of the Batfamily like Cassandra Cain than a lot of them didn't exist in the 90s and prior.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    ...Along with El Diablo-not the one in the Suicide Squad.....
    He worked on that? What a shame - I really liked that book and the character. Not that there was too much of a chance ever seeing him again in a prominent way, having a character's back catalog affiliated with a repugnant human certainly doesn't help.

BANNED

Some people do have a certain predisposition towards stuff they view as old.

It doesn't help if elements or characters that are popular now don't exist back then. Like if your a Jessica Cruz fan you won't read anything prior to the 2010s or if you are a fan several members of the Batfamily like Cassandra Cain than a lot of them didn't exist in the 90s and prior.
    Which is so weird to me. If I love a character, I want to learn everything about them. I love looking for old comics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    He worked on that? What a shame - I really liked that book and the character. Not that there was too much of a chance ever seeing him again in a prominent way, having a character's back catalog affiliated with a repugnant human certainly doesn't help.
    He did the 1988 series.

But yeah a lot of his stuff is not in trade and with guys like John-that hurts. I mean we got a Wonder Man show coming and his longest running solo is not in trade because of the writer (outside of a few issues).

Well that happens when you had an editor NOT like the book and got it axed despite it selling.

Look post Mosaic-where would that series get mentioned during the Kyle & Hal eras?
    Along with DC not even bothering to look for writers interested in John.

Even Priest's GL stuff is not mentioned mainly because it involved killing John's wife and being with Arista. His stuff is not in trade either-I think.

So with Jones we are talking 47 Green Lantern issues, 18 Mosaic, Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn 1-2, Guy Gardner: Reborn #1–3 & Guy Gardner #1–10.

90 issues of Green Lantern history.

Along with
    Justice League Europe #14–57, Annual #2–5
    Justice League America #0, 93–113, Annual #9
    Justice League Spectacular #1

70 issues of JLA history. Hal led JLE.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Considering you couldn't even bring yourself to say it, yeah - that's likely the reason. Also, it was a long time ago and while it was a good series, it wasn't something that was going to be remembered forever. And then there's the fact that it took place in a bubble - it wasn't the kind of story that had lasting repercussions for the GL mythos or any of the characters. (especially since they took away John's elevation to Guardian status)
    Correction:

No one ever took that status away. Editorial simply ignored it and "wrote past" the events of MOSAIC.

In spite of that, on occasion, a couple of back-up stories still referred to John's unique status in the eyes of the Guardians. Most writers of GL and of John, in specific, neither knew nor cared to actually look into his specific story, regulating him instead to stoic, "Danny Glover from Lethal Weapon" status for 30 years. Comfortable, safe, backfield, adjunct to either Kyle or Hal.

The entire last year of GL is based on the fact that no one ever tied off or expanded upon those original threads. The fact that so many don't know this run was born in MOSAIC has as much to do with Jones turning out to be a pedophile (problematic to say the least for any entertainment corporation) as it does with DC intentionally burying that plot thread in favor of their new creation– Kyle Rayner (something that was entirely arbitrary at the time and by no means dictated by market forces).

If they didn't ever want anyone to take up those threads, they should have definitively and explicitly cut them off. They did neither.

As they didn't, John's original status has never been revoked and I took the time to solidify it as the core of this run. Fair play in an unfair game.