Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Correction:
    No one ever took that status away. Editorial simply ignored it and "wrote past" the events of MOSAIC.
    Correction: They did effectively take it away, even if they "wrote past" it rather than explicitly state it in-universe. So, your "correction" was more an "elucidation." (also, I believe you meant "relegated," not "regulated.")

Semantics aside, yes - I totally agree and it's great that you picked up on that storypoint after all this time and gave it a real explanation.(continuity in a DC book?? Whodathunkit!) "Mosaic" did a good job presenting a non-traditional story, but sometimes to its detriment when it came to existing in a shared universe. If Vertigo were a thing at the time, it could have been a Vertigo title.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Correction: They did effectively take it away, even if they "wrote past" it rather than explicitly state it in-universe. So, your "correction" was more an "elucidation." (also, I believe you meant "relegated," not "regulated.")

Semantics aside, yes - I totally agree and it's great that you picked up on that storypoint after all this time and gave it a real explanation.(continuity in a DC book?? Whodathunkit!) "Mosaic" did a good job presenting a non-traditional story, but sometimes to its detriment when it came to existing in a shared universe. If Vertigo were a thing at the time, it could have been a Vertigo title.
    simply not mentioning something does not erase that thing. and, as i said, at least one writer continued to refer to it subsequently.

the only thing "non traditional" about MOSAIC was that John was the star of it. 'relegated' works too but i did mean 'regulated.'

black characters at DC have mostly been treated poorly over the decades and John did not escape. While you'll never find it written down anywhere as an actual rule, it was a clearly a burned-in company tradition.

the only thing "non traditional" about MOSAIC was that John was the star of it...
    It struck me as non traditional at the time, (in a good way - more like a Vertigo book in retrospect) but obviously that's subjective, and I was pretty young when it came out. It just seemed to deal with more abstract concepts rather than superheroics, shifting points of view and it didn't need to spell everything out. I wish more GL stories took that cosmic approach as opposed to Johns's "space cops" theme. Your story with John, and Morrison's work with Hal was a nice departure from that. (it sounds like the two new series later this year will be back to traditional super-heroing, but we'll see...)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-10-2023 at 07:19 PM.

It struck me as non traditional at the time, (in a good way - more like a Vertigo book) but obviously that's subjective, and I was pretty young when it came out. It just seemed to deal with more abstract concepts rather than superheroics, shifting points of view and it didn't need to spell everything out. I wish more GL stories took that cosmic approach as opposed to Johns's "space cops" theme. Your story with John, and Morrison's work with Hal was a nice departure from that. (it sounds like the two new series later this year will be back to traditional super-heroing, but we'll see...)
    Some of my favorite GL stories include MOGO DOESN'T SOCIALIZE, THE F-SHARP BELL, GANTHET'S TALE (THAT was some clever writing) and obviously MOSAIC.

The GL universe is wild, wide and diverse.

Some of my favorite GL stories include MOGO DOESN'T SOCIALIZE, THE F-SHARP BELL, GANTHET'S TALE (THAT was some clever writing) and obviously MOSAIC.

I wish there were more "Tales of the GLC" type stories, but with so many earth GLs, it doesn't seem likely. I mean, at least throw us some Flodo Span now and again.

I wish there were more "Tales of the GLC" type stories, but with so many earth GLs, it doesn't seem likely. I mean, at least throw us some Flodo Span now and again.
    Oh man an Urban Legends type book starring the green lantern corps would be awesome.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The GLC could definitely stand to have an anthology book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Look post Mosaic-where would that series get mentioned during the Kyle & Hal eras?
    Along with DC not even bothering to look for writers interested in John.
    Well, since you asked...and since I guess I know a lot of stuff on this particular subject, which proves useful every now and then...For one example, you would find it here:

And...I guess I can see...if I can find some scans...nope, not without going through too much trouble.

But there are other moments from the Kyle Rayner era. Off the top of my head, one is when John first meets Kyle. Donna introduces them, they walk in on Kyle drawing a nude model, Donna gets mad about it, Kyle and Donna have a fight in front of John Stewart. Some who are fans of Kyle Rayner lurking the thread probably know the issue I'm talking about. I'm guessing Green Lantern 1990 #76 or roundabouts.

But yes, Mosaic was acknowledged a few times after it ended. Not often, though.

EDIT:
    Oh, wow. I found an image from the issue. Apparently, it's #70. They fight a Berserker alien in it, which is one of the species that was on the Mosaic World.
    Last edited by Proto Man; 01-11-2023 at 07:24 AM.

I've been sensing that you're a pretty big fan of John Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Since he complimented the writing, that was author Larry Niven. Byrne was the penciller.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    He's problematic, certainly, but, as a creator? Pretty much untouchable. I'd kill to work on a book with him.

Since Hal’s book is seemingly delayed I worry John’s book will likewise be pushed back since that’s apparently spinning out of Hal’s.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Alan Moore's influence on GL lore despite writing only a few stories is unmatched.

Certainly the top 2 comic book writer post silver age and he ain't 2.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'm reminded how the Emerald Knights movie was an anthology tale detailing the stories of multiple Green Lanterns

Good film, shame we don't get much stuff like that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Since Hal’s book is seemingly delayed I worry John’s book will likewise be pushed back since that’s apparently spinning out of Hal’s.
    ugh, I hope that's not true. that makes me worried as well. PKJ did say that the announcement was early.